What's new

Fan-drying badger brushes

I had a terrible experience with a badger brush that kept me from buying another for 15yrs.

I didn't know any better and was using it every day without letting it fully dry. I ended up having to take antibiotics to clear up my face once all was said and done.

Having recently experienced the joy of badger again, I want to make sure I keep them well dry.

My question is this: Can I use a desk fan to dry my badger brush without damage?

Thank you!

I don’t see why not.

I use 3 different badger brushes, use one each day, leave em out all day after shaving just to make sure.

If you have multiples just rotate them on a stand, you should be good to go.

I've got a few now. I just want them dried as fast as possible, but without damaging the hair.

Better safe than sorry, get 5 brushes.

+1! I air-dry my badgers and ‘need to let them dry thoroughly’ between uses!

I explained this to LOTH as my rationale for having at least a week’s worth of brushes. Now I am trying to get her to ‘understand’ that a week is likely not long enough! (Plus Christmas is coming!!) :a29:

+1! I air-dry my badgers and ‘need to let them dry thoroughly’ between uses!

I explained this to LOTH as my rationale for having at least a week’s worth of brushes. Now I am trying to get her to ‘understand’ that a week is likely not long enough! (Plus Christmas is coming!!) :a29:

I have plenty of brushes including seven badgers. I guess what I really want to know is if using a fan to dry them will hurt the brush. Will it cause split ends on a badger?

Thank you.

I primarily use boars at present, with one badger that gets a couple uses a year. That said:

My advice is to use a fan for air circulation only, without enough force to keep the brush hair moving. I wouldn’t point a big fan right at a brush.

I have often thought I should have a drying box for my kit, razors included, with a tiny fan to circulate the air. I would locate it in a drier part of the house, outside the bath area. Maybe this will inspire me to build one. For the moment, your experience has inspired me to move my brush drying racks out of the medicine cabinet in the shower area, into a cabinet in a less steamy space.

I don't think there'll be any harm to the brush, but the core of the knot still wont be properly dried under 24h if it's a dense 3-band silvertip. Also it seems like a chore that will spoil the experience.

I don't think there'll be any harm to the brush, but the core of the knot still wont be properly dried under 24h if it's a dense 3-band silvertip. Also it seems like a chore that will spoil the experience.

Thanks everyone. I've been placing the brushes quite close to the fan. I'm going to place the brushes further away but close enough to get minimal airflow. I agree with naughtilus that the core probably won't dry any quicker.

Rather than bother with a fan, just have several brushes and rotate them so you don't use any brush two days in a row. Boar take the longest to dry. Then Badger. And synthetics dry the quickest. I always take a synthetic brush with me while traveling because I'm often using it every day. I would never use a boar or badger more than two days in a row. If you spend the money you might spend on a fan on more brushes, you're ahead of the game.

I have plenty of brushes including seven badgers. I guess what I really want to know is if using a fan to dry them will hurt the brush. Will it cause split ends on a badger?

Thank you.

I doubt it. However, I just leave mine out on the counter.

I think a couple dozen will do you, display them nicely in an open space and then use a different one each day. By the time you get back to #1 it will definitely be dry.

I leave a wet or damp brush on top of my dresser or nightstand in the bedroom to dry for a day or two. They dry just fine-no problems. I don't keep any brushes in the bathroom. Only the Good Lord knows what my wife sprays in there after her hot, steaming shower. I don't want steam, moisture (it's like a rain forest when she's done), hairspray, talc, deodorant, perfume, or whatever, messing up my good badger brushes.

I'm in Arizona so a brush drying completely by the next morning really isn't a problem. That being said I'm not going to let that stop me from owning several.

Top Bottom