What's new

Not To Sound Harsh, But . . .

One of the primary reasons I—or any of us—come here is because of the community, so much genuine desire to help each individual succeed and enjoin us in our fascination and utter joy of DE (or SR) shaving. The installation and servicing of Acquisition Disorders is at once well-intentioned, universally understood, and happily shared if not outright enabled. All part of the fun and intrigue.:1eye:

I am no Rhode scholar (see, note the sloppy grammar!), certainly did not graduate high school or college Cum Laude. But somewhere along the line I acquired a deep respect, an abiding love for the written word and its ability to convey, to evoke, to move and inspire. Those of us who have spent most any amount of time online, in most any regard, are witness to the galling disregard native English speakers seem to have for their language. ‘News’ articles lacking editing, comments seemingly concocted by drooling troglodytes, and flame wars pitched and hammered out by those who lose a little mental acuity with each sneeze.

Surely you’re wondering where I’m headed with this (<—dangling participle—not good form!), so here it is.

I find it so thoroughly and utterly refreshing to come here, day after day, and read posts and responses written in full sentences with actual punctuation and, for the internet, an exceptional grasp of spelling. Moreover, to read over replies which are thought out and delivered with personality. Sadly, I had allowed myself to begin believing the English language was taking a huge dump and would very soon be flushed down the toilet of irrationality whilst the aforementioned troglodytes clap their hands and drool with glee.

Gentlemen, thank you for, unbeknownst to you, helping to lift my faith in the American/ English use of language. B&B has provided ample proof it is still alive and kicking in the best of ways.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
upload_2019-3-21_20-33-38.gif

One of the primary reasons I—or any of us—come here is because of the community, so much genuine desire to help each individual succeed and enjoin us in our fascination and utter joy of DE (or SR) shaving. The installation and servicing of Acquisition Disorders is at once well-intentioned, universally understood, and happily shared if not outright enabled. All part of the fun and intrigue.:1eye:

I am no Rhode scholar (see, note the sloppy grammar!), certainly did not graduate high school or college Cum Laude. But somewhere along the line I acquired a deep respect, an abiding love for the written word and its ability to convey, to evoke, to move and inspire. Those of us who have spent most any amount of time online, in most any regard, are witness to the galling disregard native English speakers seem to have for their language. ‘News’ articles lacking editing, comments seemingly concocted by drooling troglodytes, and flame wars pitched and hammered out by those who lose a little mental acuity with each sneeze.

Surely you’re wondering where I’m headed with this (<—dangling participle—not good form!), so here it is.

I find it so thoroughly and utterly refreshing to come here, day after day, and read posts and responses written in full sentences with actual punctuation and, for the internet, an exceptional grasp of spelling. Moreover, to read over replies which are thought out and delivered with personality. Sadly, I had allowed myself to begin believing the English language was taking a huge dump and would very soon be flushed down the toilet of irrationality whilst the aforementioned troglodytes clap their hands and drool with glee.

Gentlemen, thank you for, unbeknownst to you, helping to lift my faith in the American/ English use of language. B&B has provided ample proof it is still alive and kicking in the best of ways.

IKR?

You have my apologies for being the exception here!
Sir Jim, I respectfully submit the following refutation of your premise . . .
1) You used the full word "you' and not the ubiquitous and annoying 'U'
2) 'Exception' is a sight for sore eyes accustomed to the butchered internet version, 'excepscion'
3) 'Here' properly used, as opposed to the loathsome 'hear'. Don't even get me started on 'to', 'too', and two'.

I should also add, typos and freaking autocorrect are both understood and do not count against oneself when at the Pearly Gates.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Here in Australia with auto correct on the computers that I have used it always seems to default to the American spelling of words. Such as centre spelled this way in Australia and center spelled that way in American. I have lots of fun when I type replies, as I have red squiggly lines under lots of words that I have spelled correctly in my book.

There is something quietly classy about Aussie and British spelling. Centre is a great example, another would be theatre. In my original post I used the word whilst; I imagine most Americans would use while. I also tend to favor amongst as opposed to among.

There is something quietly classy about Aussie and British spelling. Centre is a great example, another would be theatre. In my original post I used the word whilst; I imagine most Americans would use while. I also tend to favor amongst as opposed to among.

Not to mention "favour" and the like. :)

'England and America are two countries divided by a common language'

Top Bottom