What's new

Mild light well made razor

Hi gents
Do you know of a modern, well made razor that is very light in the head and very mild at shaving. I am looking for a well made razor that looks good and feels good in the hand, I like both silo doors and traditional opening methods. I used a razor that cost about $2 abroad with a Wilkinson blade and had a marvellous shave. It weighed practically nothing but was such poor quality it looked like it came from within a Xmas cracker! I would like something that has been well made with a decent blemish free chrome finish etc.
Hope you can help.

Regards

The lightest razor I've found is one of these later Gillette Techs with the spiral (plaid) aluminum handles. The top caps are zamac which some folks feel will have durability issues ove time but they are plentiful and easily found. It is a very light mild mannered shaver.
Vintage-British-Gillette-Tech-3-Piece-Safety-Razor-Aluminum.jpg

The regular all brass Techs come with either solid brass ball-end handles or hollow "fat" handles. Oddly, the larger diameter fat handle is slightly lighter than the smaller ball end handle. Overall, a Fat handle Tech is still a pretty light razor in comparison to modern razors with stainless steel handles and heads etc.
fat-tech-02.jpg

This fat handle Tech benefits from being all brass construction. Hope this helps.

Sorry, just noticed you said modern. I would check out Above The Tie razors as they offer some aluminum models.

Feather Popular is very mild, about 10€
The Baili TTO is very cheap and mild, 8-10€ too

If you want to spend more I suggest
Rockwell 6c, chromed, "adjustable" with six changeable baseplates, about 50€ or
Rockwell 6s same in Stainless steel, about 100€.
There you can choose the best Option for you.

I have All these 3 razors, and the Rockwell is the smoothest and most efficient. If you want to spend the money I recommend the Rockwell, but the others are both good razors too.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Man that was quick!! I thought I would have to wait a week for some information:))
Much appreciated gentleman.

I have two favorites: the ultra cheap Saiver razor and the moderately costing iKon X3. Both are made with some aluminum alloy. Thus they are light.

Saiver is meant to be loaded with two blades, but I load it with only one blade: first the included blade separator and then the blade (closest to the base plate). In this configuration it is ultra mild. I always get a good shave from this razor.

X3 is a mild slant and the razor I am using for almost all my shaves. I pair it with a lightweight Saiver handle. I get the best shaves with this razor. The down side is that I have to manually align the blade each time I change blade.

Both are ultra mild and there is a certain learning curve because they will only shave if held at the right angle.

R

romsitsa

Gillette Slim twist (UK), or Knack (US). Lightweight, mild, sturdy, plastic handle.

Adam

What is your budget? I would unequivocally recommend the Timeless Titanium as hitting all the marks, but you’ll pay for that quality. My opinion is that it’s worth every penny.

Hi gents
Do you know of a modern, well made razor that is very light in the head and very mild at shaving. I am looking for a well made razor that looks good and feels good in the hand, I like both silo doors and traditional opening methods. I used a razor that cost about $2 abroad with a Wilkinson blade and had a marvellous shave. It weighed practically nothing but was such poor quality it looked like it came from within a Xmas cracker! I would like something that has been well made with a decent blemish free chrome finish etc.
Hope you can help.

Regards
The RazoRock MJ-90 has a CNC-machined anodized aluminum head and titanium handle. It weighs only 58 grams and comes with two base plates, one mild and the other ultra-mild. No chrome finish, but it's about as well-made and mild as anything I've seen, and I doubt there are many lighter razors that aren't made with plastic.
rr mj-90.jpg

Man that was quick!! I thought I would have to wait a week for some information:))
Much appreciated gentleman.

Yeah, this forum is pretty popular, and with as many members as there are here, it's not difficult to get a response.

Aluminum was a good suggestion and Above the Tie offers some aluminum razors.
At a much higher price point, titanium would meet your needs as well with makers like Paradigm, Timeless and Wolfman offering Titanium razors. Paradigm and Wolfman can be very hard to get as they are most often out of stock. Timeless has a lower price for Titanium than does Paradigm of Wolfman. A Timeless titanium razor in the Straight bar with the .68 plate would be an outstanding choice give your criteria.

As far as modern goes the only adjustable I'd consider would be the REX and I don't know of any available with the butterfly doors. There are a couple exceptions but just about everything else you're going to find modern is going to be a three piece design.

Something else to consider, unless you have a medical need for a lighter razor you'll likely get used to whatever you use. I've found heavier and lighter razors equally as enjoyable to use depending on the razor.

I like this one, 70's black handled Gillette superspeed. If you're like me and you prefer something historic and iconic to something newfangled, this is the one to get. Very light, very mild, super cool. Goes well with aviator shades!
proxy.php

The RazoRock MJ-90 has a CNC-machined anodized aluminum head and titanium handle. It weighs only 58 grams and comes with two base plates, one mild and the other ultra-mild. No chrome finish, but it's about as well-made and mild as anything I've seen, and I doubt there are many lighter razors that aren't made with plastic.
View attachment 952861

Is that a perfect copy of the EJ D89 ?

Top Bottom