What's new

proraso

what will proraso shave cream/soap do to soften facial hair for people who cannot afford to shave while in the shower? will it make the facial moist like someone who shaves while in the shower? i only ask because many people have recommended it but what exactly will do that gillette for people with tough facial hair? if someones tough facial hair can only be soften like 80-90% while shaving in the shower can proraso soften it by that much if they shave like 10-15 minutes after showering at the sink or not? can a tough shaving expert please tell me here. rsvp.

I think I get what you're saying.

My beard is course, but I can't really compare it with anyone elses. In fact I'd say 90% of us would classify our facial hair as course.

Anyway, I only shave after a shower, occasionally between showers and never during a shower. The most impact isn't from the cream or soap, but from taking enough time to hydrate your beard. 3-5 minutes of wetting your face with hot or cold water is plenty sufficient. The cream is there to both hold suspended water on your face while also giving your razor a lubricant to glide across your face.

Beard prep is the key.

Any decent shaving soap will hydrate your hairs properly. Also, just splash some water on your face before preparing your gear to help out as well. If your hairs require stronger methods, try using a glycerin soap to was your stubble before the shave.

I think I get what you're saying.

My beard is course, but I can't really compare it with anyone elses. In fact I'd say 90% of us would classify our facial hair as course.

Anyway, I only shave after a shower, occasionally between showers and never during a shower. The most impact isn't from the cream or soap, but from taking enough time to hydrate your beard. 3-5 minutes of wetting your face with hot or cold water is plenty sufficient. The cream is there to both hold suspended water on your face while also giving your razor a lubricant to glide across your face.

Beard prep is the key.
+1
Yes hydration is key. I would suggest if you do not shower before your shave, to get a flannel and soak your whiskers and keep them nice and wet while you get your other things ready then take your time building your lather. remember, prep is everything.

good luck :001_tongu

Hydration! Yes.
I splash hot water on my beard
For a long time before doing the lathering of soap or cream. I never shower before my shave.
And when lathering I take as much time as possible to really work it into the beard.
Prep is very important for a good shave. Can’t stress this enough.
It can also make a “inferior “ sort of blade perform surprisingly well.

Soap or foam or gel does NOT hydrate your stubble.
WATER does .Soap , foam etc simply provide LUBRICATION.
Take a nice hot shower,wash your face thoroughly while IN the shower,exit shower WITHOUT drying your face,splash a bit of hot water on it and than lather up and shave with anything (foam,gel,soap doesn't matter)

what will proraso shave cream/soap do to soften facial hair for people who cannot afford to shave while in the shower? will it make the facial moist like someone who shaves while in the shower?
The menthol (green) and sandalwood (red) work well for me. Work the lather into your stubble with the brush for a good 3 minutes and then let the razor will do its work. What have you used with the cartridge razors previously? I have read gel may have more slickness but never tried it.

I have a fairly tough beard, and I typically shave after I shower, but sometimes I end up shaving at another time. Either way, as others have said, prep really helps (and showering before shaving is excellent prep), but I've also found that sharp blades paired with good technique can really help. For me, an Iridium, Gillette Yellow, or Feather in a slant or a Gillette NEW is key to getting a good shave...my philosophy is, if softening up the hair isn't enough, just bring a better tool to cut it with. The important thing is that this kind of aggressive approach requires very good technique...you need to pay close attention to the pressure you're exerting (you shouldn't really be applying any, letting the weight of the blade do the work) and the blade angle to make sure you don't get nicks and irritation from this sort of approach. To start out with, you might try a sharper blade (like an Iridium) in a milder razor, like a Gillette Tech or Superspeed, and work up from there.

what will proraso shave cream/soap do to soften facial hair for people who cannot afford to shave while in the shower? will it make the facial moist like someone who shaves while in the shower? i only ask because many people have recommended it but what exactly will do that gillette for people with tough facial hair? if someones tough facial hair can only be soften like 80-90% while shaving in the shower can proraso soften it by that much if they shave like 10-15 minutes after showering at the sink or not? can a tough shaving expert please tell me here. rsvp.

I strongly doubt you can find a "tough shaving expert" to answer your questions. Those numbers are just a fantasy. Am I right?

In December 1976 the study "Observations on the Cutting of Beard Hair" (DONALD E. DEEM and MARTIN M. RIEGER) was released and experiments were conducted to determine the effect of moisture on the cutting force.
Excerpt from the study:
...Based on the f-t-c, beard hair fibers appear to have been completely hydrated by exposure to water at room temperature within about 2 to 3 min.

Furthermore, experiments were conducted to determine the effect of chemical treatments
Excerpt from that study:
...The results of the studies reported so far indicate that the rate of hydration
of beard hair is relatively fast and that softening - as measured by f-t-c - is not significantly altered by modest changes in pH or the presence of a wetting agent. In view of this, the effect of potassium stearate solution, aerosol shaving cream concentrates, and several finished commercial creams on the f-t-c hair was determined. None of these materials showed any reduction of the hydration time or of the f-t-c the fiber beyond that effected by water...
f-t-c = force to cut

In my uneducated opinion, full hydration of the beard can be obtained while shaving at the sink. There is no need for shaving in the shower in order to soften the stubble for a great shave.
I hope that helps.

This:
Soap or foam or gel does NOT hydrate your stubble.
WATER does .Soap , foam etc simply provide LUBRICATION.
Take a nice hot shower,wash your face thoroughly while IN the shower,exit shower WITHOUT drying your face,splash a bit of hot water on it and than lather up and shave with anything (foam,gel,soap doesn't matter)
:thumbup:

I strongly doubt you can find a "tough shaving expert" to answer your questions. Those numbers are just a fantasy. Am I right?

In December 1976 the study "Observations on the Cutting of Beard Hair" (DONALD E. DEEM and MARTIN M. RIEGER) was released and experiments were conducted to determine the effect of moisture on the cutting force.
Excerpt from the study:

Furthermore, experiments were conducted to determine the effect of chemical treatments
Excerpt from that study:

f-t-c = force to cut

In my uneducated opinion, full hydration of the beard can be obtained while shaving at the sink. There is no need for shaving in the shower in order to soften the stubble for a great shave.
I hope that helps.

Fascinating!! Who knew they were doing studies on this stuff. Any chance you have a link to the full study? I'd love to read all the findings.

TIA

NT

From a purely anecdotal point of view my experience is that:

Hot bath > hot shower > wash face in sink

when it comes to how easy it feels to shave afterwards.

One of those instances where the scientific theory doesn't seem to match the real world experience

The best cream I have is one I rarely use. Why? It has no scent at all. Body Shop shave cream. Hard to beat that. I really love scent though.

I do think showering is better prior but rarely do this because I prefer to wash off cream in shower.

If I don't shower before shaving, as happens usually on Saturday afternoon, I rinse my face thoroughly, wash with soap and rinse, then soak a face towel in warm water and hold it against my throat and cheeks for a minute or two. After that I apply the soap or cream, give the stuff 2-3 minutes to soak into the beard, and wield the razor. I've had just as good shaves that way as with showering beforehand.

For a coarse beard I recommend proraso pre shave. Works wonders. Proraso shave cream/soap will soften the beard though, if left on for a few minutes.

I got some Proraso Crema Pre Barba in the white tub in a BST lot and I have no idea how to use it. I put a dab on each cheek and under the chin and run a wet hand round my face to rub it in. This is supposed to soften the beard, yes?

I quite like the scent and have started using it. Can anyone tell me more of how to use this stuff?

Top Bottom