What's new

Futur-rama

Just wanted to share some info on the Merkur Futur razor. It's my first DE, and I'm pretty psyched about it.

I went with the gleaming chrome model. Quite satisfying heft to the razor. It makes you feel like a man just holding on to it. So that's worth something right there. Even though it weighs a quarter pound, as you can see from the first image, it is extremely well balanced. Hold it by the top of the waist, and you can acheive a very light touch, even with this hefty razor.

And then there is the adjustability. I have tried to show in the other pic the razor at three different settings: 1, 3, 6.

Basically, at 1, the blade is below the level of the safety bar, by setting 3, the blade is starting to peek up above the safety bar, by setting 6 you better be damn sure you know what you're doing, as the blade is just hanging out there in the breeze, looking for your jugular vein.

The one knock I have about this razor, is that the head casting, where the safety bar is is not very well finished. I should say that it is 95% well finished, but there is a small portion where the flashing was not fully removed or smoothed out before chroming it. I sent that razor back. The replacement had a similar issue, but not nearly as bad.

In conclusion:
I really dig this razor. I'm a neewbie, but I wanted a razor that could grow and change as I got to be more proficient. The Futur certainly seems to fit the bill in that regard

1st time I've seen the chrome model. It looks great in the picture. Also it's a good picture of the blade 'hanging in the breeze' on the 6 setting. Enjoy your razor, but take care.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This was the first D/E I ever purchased (in chrome as well). Great shaver. I even felt compelled to write a review about it. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I love my Futur. For me, I don't need to take it above 2.5.

I alternate between my HD and it. I feel that the HD gives me a little better shave but I prefer the heft of the Futur.

Does this mean that you're retiring your Chopstick Kamisori? :scared:

Never!

But I recently became a head shaver and am reviewing other options for clearing out the stubble. I sold off this Futur three years ago (never sell any of your shave gear, you'll eventually regret it!).

I ordered a Weber ARC, but am thinking that the high safety margin afforded by a Futur set on 1 would be good for behind the head without being able to see what you're doing head shaving.

The Futur is a cool bit of razor tech. I may buy one anyhow.

I thought I had sworn off DEs forever...

I love the Futur. It was the first modern...wait....actually it's the only modern razor I own or have ever owned.
It's awesome with a Feather

P.s. resurected threads sometimes are interesting. I didn't know you ever owned a DE

Last edited:
I love the Futur. It was the first modern...wait....actually it's the only modern razor I own or have ever owned.
It's awesome with a Feather

P.s. resurected threads sometimes are interesting. I didn't know you ever owned a DE

I lasted all of about a month and a half using a DE before diving headlong into straights.

Never!

But I recently became a head shaver and am reviewing other options for clearing out the stubble. I sold off this Futur three years ago (never sell any of your shave gear, you'll eventually regret it!).

I ordered a Weber ARC, but am thinking that the high safety margin afforded by a Futur set on 1 would be good for behind the head without being able to see what you're doing head shaving.

The Futur is a cool bit of razor tech. I may buy one anyhow.

I thought I had sworn off DEs forever...

What are you using at the moment to shave your head then?

What are you using at the moment to shave your head then?

My first few headshaves were with a Feather DX loaded with a KAI Captain. Then last week while on a trip to Japan I started using the twin blade disposable KAI razors they had at the hotel (I grabbed one each day to stash away for future use). The disposables are working great paired with a good soap and brush. But one could not hold his head high around here saying that he shaves with a prison grade disposable, now could he?

Top Bottom