What's new

Turchetta silvertip knots

OK, so I used my Turchetta silvertip brush exclusively when travelling in Japan for two weeks, and thus have come to some conclusions about it.

My embodiment of the brush:
attachment.php

20mm knot

OK, the knot is pretty well packed. It does lose a few bristles at first, but that's no big deal in my book.

Of course it depends on how you mount the brush as well as far as how dense it will be. In other words, if you leave the full 65mm of loft it will not be nearly as dense as if you mount it deeper in the handle, with less loft the density will be much higher.

My brush has about 55mm of loft. My next one will be less than that as I prefer a more compact head for my lather shmooshing & swooshing needs.

Now, on to the bristles: They certainly rate as very soft in my book, and do have good resiliance, they are not too floopy. However, at the same time as they are soft, they do exhibit some pricklyness at the tips that is quite apparent when lathering up your face.

Is the Turchetta silvertip going to make obsolete my Rooney Heritage Alibaba, or my Shavemac Silvertip?

Not by a long shot! The Rooney has zero pricklyness, even though it is overstuffed with silvertipped goodness. The softness of the Shavemac is like a cloud drifting across your face leaving a soft warm layer of lather behind...

However, the Shavemac costs ~$135, the Rooney $150.

The Turchetta is an excellent buy!

That's my two cents, anyhow.

For an additional $14.98 you can find out for yourself!:biggrin:

Seraphim, I have the 20mm knot from Turchetta in Silvertip, as well. Your analysis is perfect. I completely agree. I too have a Rooney, though its a 1/1 in Super and a Shavemac Silvertip (#177 - 23mm).

The Turchetta does not compare. But its excellent in its own right, and it gives the two "masterpieces" a rest.

OK, so I have another thread going about my new handmade brush, but I felt that more info was appropriate to add here.

I ordered two 20mm Golden Nib silvertip knots. One was mounted in an aluminum handle, one in cocobolo. The only other difference is the depth I set the knot into the handle. By setting the knot deep into the handle, it gives a shorter loft and greatly increases the density.

The aluminum brush has about 55mm of loft, the coco, about 45mm (Pic #1). The new cocobolo brush has bloomed into a cool little tight lightbulb shape.

As you can clearly see the density of the low loft coco brush is outstanding. It actually looks to be about as dense as my Alibaba! (Pic #2-Alibaba, cocobolo, aluminum).

The new cocobolo brush is now a soap lathering machine:w00t: that shares some of the characteristics of the Alibaba. It really scrubs at the Tabac puck, but with the increased density, it also sucks up and holds onto the lather like an Alibab too! I found that interesting, as the longer loft aluminum brush lathers in a rather "standard" fashion. Increased density alone can greatly affect the whole lathering process.

Now then, I won't be selling off my Alibaba, because this new brush is not of the same absolute quality as that. The Alibaba has a lot more backbone and spring to the bristles, and the tips of the Alibaba are extremely soft with no scritch whatsoever. The cocobolo brush has a short loft, but the bristles do not have the same springyness, and they do have a bit of pricklyness at the very tips.

Pic #3 shows a comparrison of shmooshing the brushes down on a surface to show the difference in tip splay, and face contact size caused by the difference in loft. The angle doesn't really show it so well maybe from this perspective. The brushes aren't just sitting on the tips, but are pressed down onto the towel quite firmly. 10mm difference in loft for the same 20mm knot makes a big difference.

As said, I won't be throwing out my Shavemac 21mm, nor my Rooney Alibaba. Those two are still the reigning champs of the shave den! However, the aluminum handled brush has been usurped, and is now going to make a nice Christmas present for my brother!:biggrin:

It doesn't look as dense as the Alibaba, having compared tons of photos like this (sadly), but if you say it is then I believe you.

That shorter-lofted one is a real nice piece, good job.

Regards.

J

Top Bottom