What's new

What senior users here have a favorite razor brand?

I was given a W. Grieves ,Germany, from my uncle, and out of a dozen of so top razors this one is my favorite. I love my Double Duck (GoldenEdge), but feel guilty using it as a regular shaver.

My favorite brand is the TI premium razors. They call them "silversteel."

As afr as razors no longer in production, I love Dorkos, Filarmonicas, Henckels Frioudor and premium Pumas.

i love my Case razor.. it takes the most velvety smooth edge of all my razors. no idea why but i ain't complaining. its nothing fancy, just pure shaving ectasy. oh and it 6/8th which happens to be my personal favorite.

i have 2 bengall's on the way, can't wait to give those a shot.

~J

So far: Worldmaster (or Weltmeister depending on what period they're from and what market they were intended for.

They're sheffield steel and take a great edge.

A while ago I was reading and E-Bay guide, saying his favorite razor was a bengal, price and quality was his main point. Are these still being manufactured?

Bengalls are a bit of a puzzle. The 'Bengall' brand name was used extensively by T.R. Cadman & Sons, Sheffield, but I have also seen them on razors just called 'Bengall'. I don't know if these were brand copies or what they were, but the originals are made by Cadman - now alas long defunct. I get them coming through my hands now and again and they are always popular and seem very good steel - but then they're from Sheffield 'nuff said!:wink:

My revisor is my daily shaver, but my favorite is actually a special gold wash jubilee razor from Mainz, Germany. Its about 100 years old, carbon steel, and the hollow grind is so finely done, that the blade sings in use, kind of like the sound you get with a new blade in a vision. I don't use it too often though, because its just too irreplaceable.

I don't have a huge collection like some of the members so don't have a tremendous amount of experience with all of the brands. But, TI's have become favorites so far.
I have a dubl duck but may not have gotten it quite tuned up yet; just doesn't quite compare to the smooth shave with my TI's, Henkels Frioudor, or Wacker razors.

Steve

I'm relatively new to straight shaving, but it would seem that in the past, there were perhaps hundreds of different manufacturers making quality razors. While some brands are more popular than others, I think if you are looking at vintage blades, the condition of the razor is more important than the brand. Usually, you are safe with those made in the US, Sweden, the UK, Germany, and France. The name and place of manufacture should be stamped on the tang. Just my 2 cents.

Jordan

Paid good money for it too, I've spent more time honing the Boker, than any of my other razors. Maybe I've got a defective one , but hopefully one day I'll be able to get a shave out of it. :cursing:

Paid good money for it too, I've spent more time honing the Boker, than any of my other razors. Maybe I've got a defective one , but hopefully one day I'll be able to get a shave out of it. :cursing:
That's an excellent razor. Check it with a straight edge to see if it's warped. If not, you should be able to make it shaving sharp.

I bet the edge is oxidized. It happens often with old razors. If you looked at the edge under magnification (60x), you would probably see a lot of oxidation and chips. If you don't have a microscope, try honing it with a a coarse grit (1K or 2K sandpaper on a glass sheet) until the edge looks straight and even and clean (with a magnifying glass- put tape on the spine to protect it).

Then, remove the tape and go to the 4K until you pass the thumbnail test (see classicshaving.com "how to ... and why", the section on honing). Then go to the 8K (no more thumbnails) until the razor passes your sharpness test (HHT, whatever).

That's quite a jump with a lot of great razors in between.

Oh sure, lots of other great brands I agree. I was just going on my own limited experience with the 15 or so razors I've owned so far at various times. I've had 3 high-end TI's which were all superb shavers, but had a few quality issues like loose scales on one, slightly uneven bevel on another etc.

I had several nice old/restored razors of different brands, but out of all my favourites were my two Maestro Livi's (once I got them honed right) and my DD Satinedge which I restored and then had Lynn hone, and Gary make new scales for. Those were my absolute favourites to date.

Obviously you have a lot more experience than me in this field Joe, I'm still just a newbie really.

:smile:

I had several nice old/restored razors of different brands, but out of all my favourites were my two Maestro Livi's (once I got them honed right) and my DD Satinedge which I restored and then had Lynn hone, and Gary make new scales for. Those were my absolute favourites to date.

Aw, man...what about that Weyersberg?:crying: :biggrin:

Top Bottom