What's new

What senior users here have a favorite razor brand?

That was probably my best shaver, but wasn't my favourite. You're making me feel guilty about selling it now Joe, but it went to a good home! :)

Never, ever feel guilty. I was only joking. If weren't saving for a new grinder to make my own, I'd have bought that Livi you were selling.

Well hey, I am willing to try putting an edge on that for you for a small price of allowing me to use it for a while... :shaving:

Paid good money for it too, I've spent more time honing the Boker, than any of my other razors. Maybe I've got a defective one , but hopefully one day I'll be able to get a shave out of it. :cursing:

Oh sure, lots of other great brands I agree. I was just going on my own limited experience with the 15 or so razors I've owned so far at various times. I've had 3 high-end TI's which were all superb shavers, but had a few quality issues like loose scales on one, slightly uneven bevel on another etc.

I had several nice old/restored razors of different brands, but out of all my favourites were my two Maestro Livi's (once I got them honed right) and my DD Satinedge which I restored and then had Lynn hone, and Gary make new scales for. Those were my absolute favourites to date.
You have god taste. Have you tried any Dorkos, Pumas, Filarmonicas or Friordurs?

OK guys.... for this question I make myself visible and go into ex-Lurker mode.

Hands down....my all time favorite shaver is my 6/8
DORKO!!!!
I fact, I'll put any of my Dorko's up against TI, DD, Philly, ...any of them.

However, there is one razor that I just recently got that
puts a new dimension in to the shaving experience and this is
a custom from my good buddy R.W.

Well hey, I am willing to try putting an edge on that for you for a small price of allowing me to use it for a while...
Checked the Boker with a straight and low and behold a very slight bend in it...Ugh!... I can't believe it, also I was reading a thread on Bokers and someone said the Scales should always have a tree. Not on this one, looked at the pin, doesn't look like its been replaced. I just got it off Ebay about a month ago. Now what? I'm sure I could straighten it? dunno.
Any ideas out there? Btw I paid close to $30.00, which I thought was a fairly decent price for a GOOD Boker. not this one.

Checked the Boker with a straight and low and behold a very slight bend in it...Ugh!... I can't believe it, also I was reading a thread on Bokers and someone said the Scales should always have a tree. Not on this one, looked at the pin, doesn't look like its been replaced. I just got it off Ebay about a month ago. Now what? I'm sure I could straighten it? dunno.
Any ideas out there? Btw I paid close to $30.00, which I thought was a fairly decent price for a GOOD Boker. not this one.

There's a lot of crappy information out there, apparently, then. Not all Bokers (I daresay not even most) have the tree on the scales. The tree logo will be somewhere on the blade itself (most likely on the shank) but not necessarily on the scales. As far as the bend...depending on the severity, you can probably hone around it. You might have a slightly uneven bevel, but you can probably still get it to shave.

A very slight warp may not be a problem. What it does is cause more material removal in the center on the outwardly bowed side and more material removal at the ends on the inwardly bowed side. A slight bow may only result in an uneven edge (uneven with along the blade), but it could still shave fine.

Joe Chandler is a superb honesman and can set this thing straight. He may even be able to remove the warp if it's very small. I notice he's participating in this thread. You might try PMing him.

I have a new favorite shaver: it is a recently acquired Wade & Butcher. It is really wonderful and provides a fantastic shave. Seller said that the scales were redone by garythepenman in NZ. They look wonderful and they really balance the razor well.

Sure they are fairly cheap and not anything special. But for easy of honing and staying sharp I like 'em. They are a good everyman razor. I wish I could find a 7 day set.

I find myself partial to Shumates. I currently have 3 of them and I really enjoy the shaves I get from them...smooth and close every time. All of mine are from the St. Louis plant. I am looking for blades from the Austin plant but no luck yet.

Raf

So many great shavers......If only my beard would grow in full every 3-4 hours......hahahahahahaha.

Don, stop by the house and I'll show you the 15 or so TI's I have.

Lynn

No particular favorites here, whatever I've honed the best lately. Generally I've reached for Henckels, Dovo's, DD's, TI's, etc. but this past week it's actually been a cheapie, an SFK Wapienica razor made for surgeons in the cold war Polish army. Less than 10 bucks, mirror finished blade, NOS-and I am tickled to death at how well it shaves, even if the scales ARE plain slabs of metal....

as far as which ones of my collection have received the most work, probably Henckels friodurs, as (of my collection) they travel well, fairly easy to hone, and aren't as sensitive to humidity and salt air as some razors are.
But right now, I'm loving that 10 dollar Polish razor. Shaves like it cost a LOT more.
John P.

Top Bottom