What's new

Zulu Grey Question

I recently got a Zulu Grey and was thinking of using it as a base for slurry with either coticule or JNat slurry stones. Has anyone tried anything like this and have any input?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I recently got a Zulu Grey and was thinking of using it as a base for slurry with either coticule or JNat slurry stones. Has anyone tried anything like this and have any input?
I haven't tried it, but the Zulu should be hard enough for this to work. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.

As opposed to what?

Even the hardest stone will contribute some amount of particles to a surface slurry. If the stone's both harder and finer than your slurry stones, that would be ideal for what it sounds like you want to do. Practically; I would expect a zulu grey would work; though a CNat may work just as well for cheaper... or a Yellow Lake... or heck, a piece of paving slate may work.

Generally the reason a base stone is chosen is not to function just as a surface for slurry, but rather so that on water (or its own slurry), it produces the end result edge. There are a handful of systems out there that use ONLY slurry for abrasion; but they are typically using a glass surface, not a stone and are much more common as a polishing apparatus, rather than for sharpening tools.

Last edited:
Coticule slurry will behave like coticule slurry. Probably range from a slow 1k to a moderate 5k or so depending on how thick it is, finer if it's a very fine coticule. Jnat slurry will depend on the Jnat. A Botan doesn't perform like a Tenjou or a Tomo. One Tomo doesn't perform like another. Strictly speaking, Jnat slurry shouldn't vary as widely based on how thick it's raised.

A base stone and a tomo. Mikawa Nagura stones are in my experience not going to help with progression past 5k JIS, at least not enough to justify the time raising and rinsing a slurry.

Top Bottom