What's new

Diamond Plate Questions

When I purchased my first natural stone a couple of years ago, I picked up a diamond plate (800) to lap it with. The plate has been used heavily since, on both naturals (including an Ark and a Charnley) and synthetics, and so should be well mellowed, or broken in.

diamond-plate-800.jpg

It does, however, still leave prominent scratches on the face of naturals (hopefully visible in the shot below). This may just be my OCD, but I find it annoying. My real issue is related to that. I used it this week to create a slurry on a new, very hard, JNat and it left a couple of small chips on the edge of the razor mid-honing.

ozuku.jpg

My question is, could it be possible that the hard JNat managed to dislodge a rogue piece of diamond or two from the substrate of the plate and contaminate the slurry?

Relatedly: should this plate still leave prominent scratches on natural stones after this time? Is it too aggressive? And would I be better off picking up a DIASharp like this one, or will I just end up in the same place?

Legion

Staff member
I've had cheaper diamond plates that have had raised "chunks" of diamond, for want of a better word. Or maybe clumps, that have sat proud from the face of the plate and caused scratches. And yes, it is possible for diamonds to break away and contaminate slurry, which is why some people don't like using them to make it.

Never had it on a DMT or Atoma, which I guess is the QC you pay extra for.

And yes, it is possible for diamonds to break away and contaminate slurry, which is why some people don't like using them to make it.

Thanks David. I don't have many options for nagura, so was hoping to use a diamond slurry at least early. I'll look at picking up the DIA Sharp.

I just avoid using diamond stone for slurry. I would look at finding a tomo (or some asano nagura). I also like my edges more when the surface has been smoothed a tad bit from a nagura.

I personally never liked diamond slurry as a final tomo. I think some like it as the start of a touch up but not sure. I do like lapping my jnat after every 2 or 3 uses though - could see using the diamond plate to build slurry help keep wear even.

Is that a dual grit diamond plate?

Apparently cross grit common with dual grit plates is common, not so much with single grits.

Try cleaning the plate with Barkeepers Friend, Oxalic acid. Make a paste and leave on for 10-15 minutes, scrub with a stiff brush, (fingernail brush). It will make a tired plate cut again.

If you have a high clump of diamonds, run a large kitchen knife on the surface and see if you can knock the clump or schmutz loose, you should be able to feel the grit and identify the spot.

I personally never liked diamond slurry as a final tomo. I think some like it as the start of a touch up but not sure. I do like lapping my jnat after every 2 or 3 uses though - could see using the diamond plate to build slurry help keep wear even

I like to go to a diamond slurry from the bevel set, and then after that finish with a mikawa slurry. Sometimes with a tomo in between. But essentially, using just the one stone.

Is that a dual grit diamond plate?

No, it is a single. I have previously used an old chisel to try and create a more uniform surface, I'll give it another shot.

Top Bottom