What's new

Zingari or SV

I have been DE shaving for at least a decade. I've been through a wide variety of soaps and creams during that time. For much of the last year I have been happily shaving with Declaration Grooming soaps. As the end of the year is approaching, and it is now time for me to restock my supplies, I have been reading through threads and sampling soaps. Over the last few weeks I've worked my way through several samples from Zingari Man. I am quite impressed with that soap. As many of you have attested, Zingari lathers easily and has amazing post-shave feel.

I had just about decided to place an order for one (or two) Zingari Man soaps in the next few days (Nomad scent, and either Wanderer or Explorer) when, for some reason, I started reading threads here about SV soaps. For whatever reason, I don't recall ever really paying attention to SV in the past. Now I am quite intrigued, and a bit torn about what to do - should I go with the Zingari, or give SV a try?

Obviously, these two soaps are VERY different. Years ago I tried a few DR Harris soaps and found them quite hard to lather. That experience makes me a bit leery about spending big money on SV, as it is a triple-milled soap as well. However, the reviews here seem to indicate that SV is quite easy to lather. I know what to expect from Zingari Mann soaps - and love the way that my face feels after using Zingari soap and balm. What similarities and/or differences will I have with SV?

To some extent, this comes down to an old school soap vs. a new / modern / artisan soap. Since I can only choose one brand at this point, which way would you recommend that I go? Thanks for your thoughts.

SV every time. It's not just "quite easy to lather" but very easy indeed, I would say. What's more the lather gives a great shave and is very stable, and the many scents available are all good. Also, a puck lasts a long time. There's nothing about it to dislike.

Both are excellent but very different Zingari is one of favourite artisans and SV one of my favourite traditional hard soap makers together with MDC, if wipping up an easy lather is important? SV takes the edge compared with Zingari...post shave feel is top notch on both though

Though I love Zingari, here's why I would choose SV, if you had to pick one...

* Better value. You'll get many more uses for your money.
* Stronger scents. Several of the scents I've tried from zm have been very mild. Nice... but mild.
* Learning to lather SV is probably going to do you a favor in the long run. There are lots of resources out there to help you, so I'm sure you'll get it. I myself have several on the Tube, in my Saponificio Varesino playlist. Once you get it down, you'll be able to lather any of the hard or triple milled soaps out there.

Zingari lather might be a little more creamy and luxurious, but for me, it's not quite enough to offset the reasons above.

(Sent from mobile)

If you don't mind lighter scents from ZM, I'd recommend to go with Zingari. I have both soaps and they work well. However, my skin feels better after using Zingari Man soaps. It's my subjective experience but I just prefer ZM over SV. Explorer is a great crowd-pleaser to start off if you're having hard time deciding.

SV is by far easier to lather and offers fantastic scents. It is also a much greater value if you consider per shave cost. In my experience, Zingari affords better protection and slickness. I consider Zingari as a 'special-need' soap for men with coarse facial hair and sensitive skin because of added protection and slickness.

Can’t go wrong with either SV or Zingari. I love both bases!

If I had the opportunity to choose only one, I’d probably go for an SV set. It’ll last you a long time and give a host of superb shaves. Plenty of time to pick up and finish multiple Zingari sets later, while working on the SV :001_tt2:

Top Bottom