What's new

Z-2 40's style Super Speed?

Does anyone out there have a Z-2 40's style Super Speed? Not a 50's style, but a 40's style. It was my understanding 1953 (Y date code) was the final year of the 40's styles except for the 1954 TV special with Z-3 and Z-4 date codes. Well, chimes13 has brought up a conundrum by being in possession of a Z-1 40's style. This goes against all I have seen to date. Was this simply a very limited few that lapped over into the 1954's regular production? Or did it continue into the second quarter as well.

40's Style <--- this style with a Z-2 date code
proxy.php

50's Style
proxy.php

I´ve only a "Z1" (item 380057253374) and a "Z3" in my collection. I´ve never seen a "Z2" :blush:

I'm assuming, then, that regular 40's style production continued into the 1st quarter of 1954. Then, I'm assuming again, geared back up with the production of the TV special in the 3rd quarter of 1954. Does that sound feasible?

I'm assuming, then, that regular 40's style production continued into the 1st quarter of 1954. Then, I'm assuming again, geared back up with the production of the TV special in the 3rd quarter of 1954. Does that sound feasible?

Feasable, but not absolute. I have been looking for a z-2 with no luck, but I won't assume there are none. I have also talked to someone who claims they got a z-3 NOS in the old style packaging. I question it, but I can't assert that it is not original.

Feasable, but not absolute. I have been looking for a z-2 with no luck, but I won't assume there are none. I have also talked to someone who claims they got a z-3 NOS in the old style packaging. I question it, but I can't assert that it is not original.

I agree that nothing is an absolute when it came to Gillette production. :biggrin: As for the Z-3 in the regular issue packaging, I can see that happening. If production of the razors was greater than the production of the TV cases I can see Gillette selling the extras in older style packaging. I have heard of them doing that before with other cases.

Actually, Tom, that does help. The more instances of the existence of Z-1's without a Z-2 turning up leads credence to the regular production through the 1st quarter 1954 theory.

umm where is the date code? I know a silly question but help out here I am still very new to this stuff.

proxy.php

Picture by chimes13

Year code is to the lower left of the REG US. (Z on this razor)
Quarter code is to the lower right of the PAT OFF. (1 on this razor)

umm where is the date code? I know a silly question but help out here I am still very new to this stuff.

The date code, if there is one, is on the underside of the head in the corners, There should be a letter on the left side and a one digit number 1-4 on the right side. If there is none that means it was made before 1951. My Super Speed Identification thread has an example Z-1 date code shown.

Thanks for the info. I just found out tonight that what I have is a SS. Mine does not look that good at all.. not my fault it was from a great uncle that has been dead longer then I have been alive. It was put up by my great aunt untill a few weeks ago.. but no date code.. now i just got to date my gem micromatic and i am all caught up.

Actually it's 1947-1950. The date coding started in 1951. Mine personal use SS is the first date coded one from that year - W-1.

My mistake, I probably should have checked a source before going off the top of my head.

I've got a 47 & well worn 53, both are users with the 47 being my favorite of the two.

My mistake, I probably should have checked a source before going off the top of my head.

I've got a 47 & well worn 53, both are users with the 47 being my favorite of the two.

No problem. You probably saw that somewhere else. I know I have. This is one of the many reasons I have started the SS Identification thread.

Top Bottom