What's new

Your thoughts on Whiskey stones and ice spheres

I don't want to ignite a debate about "the only true way to drink X". I'm looking for some trinkets to go with some JW Black in the afternoon. The ice shaping toy (http://www.japantrendshop.com/ice-ball-mold-for-perfect-ice-spheres-p-244.html) is fairly pricey but has some WOW factor to it. The stones...could probably be easily thrown together from any non-porous stone (http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/).
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm also in the market for some fine tumblers if anyone has some suggestions that can be obtained in Australia or shipped without serious inconvenience. Found a site - http://www.crystalacarte.com/lead-crystal-whisky-tumblers-prodcat36.htm - bit pricey though :(

Last edited:
The stones are a goofy gimmick and visual pun at best . . . and sooner or later, you're going to chip a tooth! :scared:

After all, drinking booze neat but cold is for vodka.

The ice spheres, on the other hand, are seriously cool. They'll slow the dilution down and keep the last half of your tipple from being more water than whiskey.

NANP™

For most mixed drinks, water (ie the melted ice) is a very important ingredient.

Sure, at the end of the drink there may be too much of it, but to have none is also wrong.

There is a high risk that whisky stones might scratch your glasses. I've seen stones made of soapstone and although this is a soft stone, it still contains potentially scratchy pieces.

If i want my whisky to be cook, i will put my glasses in the fridge, or for speed, in the freezer for a while.

I personally tend to drink my whisky at room temperature. the flavour comes through more and the liqour evaporates more readily meaning the nose (smell) is more distinct, it's all part of the whisky experience.

Each to their own but if you want something to cool your whisky that goes IN your glass... stay away from stones... use ice.

Paul

V

VR6ofpain

I would never put soapstone in my whiskey. I think the problem with all of this is cooling whiskey hides a lot of the flavors. I prefer to drink my whiskey room temparature.

I don't wish to be disparaging of others practices, however adding one or two ice cubes to a good whiskey tends to release the bouquet of a whiskey and allows for some of the more subtle elements of the flavor profile to to become more identifiable. This is a practice done by many tasters as well as craft masters on judging the qualities of a particular batch. Just something I learned from the source during my years in proper bar service.

Go with ice not stones.

Instead, I prefer http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Cube-Silicone-Ice-Trays/dp/B000O19KYW , the very large cube shape is rather classy looking, melts very slowly, and doesn't roll around when you tip your glass.

+1

I've been looking for an even larger cube tray, a la the Park Hyatt in Tokyo (q.v. what Bill Murray's drinking in Lost in Translation). IMHO, that bar is one of the best places I've ever overpaid for good scotch.

Hand cutting a large chunk from a block definitely ups the showmanship factor once you work out how to sphere them with a spoon.

I don't wish to be disparaging of others practices, however adding one or two ice cubes to a good whiskey tends to release the bouquet of a whiskey and allows for some of the more subtle elements of the flavor profile to to become more identifiable. This is a practice done by many tasters as well as craft masters on judging the qualities of a particular batch. Just something I learned from the source during my years in proper bar service.

Go with ice not stones.

You're half right, although a little misguided (unless practices are different in the US than the UK and Europe) but whisky tasters and those who know what they are doing will often add a little water to their cask strength or stronger whisky for the purpose you explained.

chilling the liqour only serves to make the flavours less identifiable, this is why vodka and poor quality lager (and indeed poor quality whisk(e)y) is to be consumed cold, to mask the bad/harsh flavour.

your preference might be for cold whisky, and that's fine, but you'll not find whisky connoisseurs chilling their drinks.

Thankyou all for your input. As in the first post I wasn't looking for debate on "the one true way to drink" comments. Everyone enjoys their drinks differently, and in this case, differently at different times of the year (it's regularly 40°C in my house when I return from work). I'm gonna go to some "homewares" shops during the week to see if I can find some of those jumbo cube trays locally (postage would likely double their price from the US).

Any suggestions on glasses? No stores I've been in have stocked anything that I really liked :(

I had to Google the ice sphere. I do not think I will be buying a mold any time soon, but would like to give it a try.

I always drink single malt, neat, but prefer some ice in my Jack Daniels and other American whiskeys.

I am sipping a 16 year old Lagavulin right now

Thanks for the links! US$185 for an ice cube re-shaper seems a little extravagant, but YMMV!

I'm with those who prefer their whisk(e)y at room temperature.

You're half right, although a little misguided (unless practices are different in the US than the UK and Europe) but whisky tasters and those who know what they are doing will often add a little water to their cask strength or stronger whisky for the purpose you explained.

chilling the liqour only serves to make the flavours less identifiable, this is why vodka and poor quality lager (and indeed poor quality whisk(e)y) is to be consumed cold, to mask the bad/harsh flavour.

your preference might be for cold whisky, and that's fine, but you'll not find whisky connoisseurs chilling their drinks.

There was an article in the washington post about this awhile ago. Basic summary was it has to do with climate- in places where it is traditionally cold (i.e. Scotland and the UK more generally), the historical trend was to drink to warm, in places where it is hot and muggy, the trend was to drink to cool (i.e. on the rocks). I personally mix my Scotch with distilled water, but that has more to do with my wanting to sip for a few hours than wanting to cool the drink.

It's always bourbon on the rocks for me. I don't make a big deal about losing some of the more complex flavors, I'm not buying $100 bottles of bourbon anyway, normally just Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Now if it were scotch, I would probably drink it neat.

:S One of us is confused. I'd be happy to pay $20 per glass - but they sell in packs of 6 for totals that are 6 x the price shown. I'm pretty sure that price listed next to the glass is *per glass* and I just can't justify spending more on a single glass than I will on a bottle of the stuff going into it.
I'd also like to mention that it isn't my intention to get one of the ice ball makers from that site. I'm currently talking to 2 fitter-and-turners to try and get a price on what should essentially be a lump of aluminium turned for half an hour on a lathe.

Last edited:

first I'd like to apologize for my lack of capitalization and punctuation errors as I'm having some keyboard issues, but i thought some clarification was in order. first i never suggested that the glass be packed with chipped ice or anything, i would never recommend cold whisky. and you are correct that in the store houses water is preferred to dilute whiskey for a proper tasting. But it should be mentioned that the distilleries tend to be pretty careful with regard to the condition in which casks are stored. temperature is pertinent to the discussion at hand. Good whisky, like good beer and wine is to be stored at cellar temperatures and ideally served the same. Most people do tend to keep their homes warmer than that. what one would try to achieve is a mean temp. of proximately 65 deg. i understand there is some debate ranging from 63-68 degrees Fahrenheit, but 65 deg is a good starting point. a single ice cube will serve the dual purpose bringing the whiskey to the proper temp while offering a subtle dilution to enhance aroma and taste. Now it should also be mentioned that my experience, as i am American, is from the craft brewed bourbon distilleries as that is what is available to me. There may be cultural differences in distilling practices. What i have found in my own research is that best practices do tend to translate well to both scotch and irish well. That being said if you enjoy your drink at warmer temps and it gives pleasure and satisfaction than by all means, and likewise for those who enjoy it on the rocks.

I got some silicone ice sphere molds from Muji, I believe. They are AWESOME for whiskey... and a few other drinks. Lately I've been drinking a lot of Sergeant Classick's Bierschaps. Mmmm.

I also use the Tovolo silicone perfect ice cube trays for more casual drinks

Last edited:
Top Bottom