What's new

Your thoughts on this article?

I'm interested to see what the thermal scrub is.

+1 I'm wondering what it will be. Ive started using a face wash that is designed to reduce razor burn... Funny thing is I havent had any since I started using it... neutrogena scub stuff Be interesting what happens when I stop

Take a look at this ad from 1924.

proxy.php

Blades were 5 cents a piece then. Adjusted for inflation that is approximately 62 cents for a blade that gave maybe two or three shaves. The average shaver in 1924 probably had to shell out about $6 a year for blades which is around $75 in today's dollars.

My point is this. The folks at Gillette were trying to make a profit and they did it very well. By hooking the customer and then stringing him along for the rest of his blade buying life. And why not? Hooray for capitalism!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm interested to see what the thermal scrub is.

This is already commercially available in under several brand names, the most notable being MUD.
Believe me, it ain't all that and a bag of chips.
But, it is typical that P&G would jump on the facial scrub bandwagon made possible by the current market.

"The launch includes four new products to use before and after shaving, including a thermal scrub Taub says will mimic the effect of a barber's hot towel. They'll sell for $6.99 to $8.99."

Called it! They are done messing with razors. They knew five blades was irritating. Thinner blades will mend some of that. But they have really milked the razor marketing about all they can, short of new colors, motorized razors... small variations on the same basic principal.

I said they'll be trying to push pre-shave, post-shave, "premium" canned shaving cream (formatted for your Fusion -- I think this already exists), bump protectant... whatever they can... they are going to push this hard for the most optimum shave "for your Fusion".

The problem they will be somewhat inexpensive, and at your drugstore... but also ineffective.

This is a racket. They have painted themselves into a corner and now they want to get out by walking on our money.

This does intrigue me though...they have nowhere to go. It's kinda fun to watch them squirm.

They are sooooo F'ed.

5 blades.

Yes.

7, 8 9 10?!

No way.

They have to go backwards, back to good blades and good razors but they can't, quality will not work for them anymore. They have permanently replaced quality with planned obsolescence. Waste resources and exploit customers...that's what they do best.

What a frigin' joke?! "Thermal scrub"? are you friggin kidding me?! Anyone that buys it is a thermal schlub!

I for one did like the Fusion, but I couldn't get more than a week out of a blade. I work with a guy who says his lasts a month. Light beard I guess.

But at $5 a cartridge- yikes. That adds up. Clearly it's a wiser strategy to get people hooked on the blades. They might barely break even on the razors.

Sadly, a lot of people just don't have the patience or interest to deal with the DE. It took me about 3 months to get a better shave and a lot of learning.

Guys I work with look at me like I have three heads when I tell them about my shave routine. "12 MINUTES TO SHAVE???"

Didn't most of us agree some time ago that mineral oil was bad for your face?

That is what I read. People say don't use it for a pre-shave oil, it creates bumps and skin problems when used long term.

New from Gillette, a product to cure bumps and skin problems!

mrscottishman

Top Bottom