What's new

Your thoughts on my ramblings.

hi all

Please leave your thoughts.
So I have a 34c and an r41, chalk and cheese I know but I wanted to get a good example of mild and one of aggressive so I knew the difference. Probably a stupid idea but it made sense in my head.

Well I struggled with the r41( numerous blades). Wtg was no problem and rather nice but xtg weepers galore and I couldn't do another pass.
Face felt like a snare drum after I finished it even squeaked like a clean plate.

So I carried on with 34c but the draw to buy got the better of me.
Today I got a German 37 and a hawk ss.
Just had a quick go with the German 37 (Derby blade)and my thoughts are it's pretty aggressive and as with the r41 1st pass no problem loving it 2nd pass weepers but no irritation. Same snare drum finish. Couldn't do another pass.

I want to get different razors but why do I always go up the aggressive scale?
What can I do with r41 and German 37 as they seem to be to aggressive for my skin?
Can I ever master them?
When I bought hawk why did I by artists not the gentle Kai pinks?
What can I expect from the hawk?

I'm not macho I'm not competitive but the mild razor seems as interesting as cleaning my toes.

I've ordered a new brush and soap and balm.
De shaving is not a money saving hobbybut it's fun.

Thoughts welcome.

How long have you been using a DE? If not long, perhaps using the 34C for a couple months to get the technique down would help you with getting good shaves with more aggressive razors? It may not be as exciting for you, but could pay off in the long run.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're still having issues with angle and/or pressure. It took me a couple of months before I got comfortable with my shaves. I had too many razors and blades and skipped around too much without getting comfortable with my technique. I think the biggest help to me was switching to a really aggressive razor for a couple of weeks - Gem OCMM. This scared me enough that I consciously slowed down and paid attention and used a VERY light touch. Turns out, I get some of my best shaves from it. Now, I don't have irritation/burn problems from my DE razors. Recently got a Futur clone...even on settings 5-6, I can get irritation-free shaves.

Keep at it, slow down, try sticking with one for a while. Don't be afraid to go aggressive.

+1 Practice your technique first. Getting new razors thinking it will give you a better shave will not solve your problems. Working with your technique to get a great shave no matter what blade (or soap, or brush, or anything else) you are using will pay off in the long run. The razors you mentioned are all very good razors that many have found to be efficient. Keep those and get to know them.

A couple of months ago I started.
I have no issues with 34c I whip about with no thought it's such an easy razor.
Could it partially be that some faces just don't like certain razors?

As above. I love a good toothy razor, but finding the sweetspot, and really learning what "no pressure" means are imperative to an enjoyable shave.

I recently picked up an iKon OSS, and I would say it would have been a great learning tool when I first started. You can go from Tech soft, to a light step up with the OC. Hey, you could also just buy a nice SuperSpeed and an MMOC! That's the fun of collecting!

A couple of months ago I started.
I have no issues with 34c I whip about with no thought it's such an easy razor.
Could it partially be that some faces just don't like certain razors?
Practice, practice, practice! Any razor and any blade can give you a good shave if you get to know it's characteristics and develop your technique.

After awhile you'll probably reach for the 34c just because it's fool proof and does as good as any aggressive razor but quicker. I lathered up with some proraso menthol yesterday and grabbed the Muhle R89 and got one of the best shaves of my life. I attribute that to the soap which I've neglected lately and it made me realize how great proraso is compared to just about every soap out there. I have aggressive razors but find myself using them less and less.

I suggest using your mildest razor for now. Refine your technique till you can do all passes, including ATG, irritation free. It helps to stick with the same blade, and same cream/soap, as well. Controlling the variables will allow you to efficiently dial in consistently good shaves. After you've done that, do the same with a more aggressive razor. Enjoy your shaves!

I bought my teenage son the Maggard aluminum with the v3 head which is extremely aggressive compared to a 34c. He shaves like a pro with it and is just now starting to make passes against and across. I suggest just sticking with the grain for the first few months and go from there. Honestly if you used a cart before that's probably all you did anyways.

I agree with the concept of sticking with one set-up until your technique is really solid. For me starting with a new razor means figuring out the optimal way to use that razor, the best blade, etc.

In other words this is a journey that one should enjoy! Just my $0.02!

+1 with those who recommend sticking with one setup until you can consistently get a satisfying shave with it. If you can master the Merkur, you'll be able work with anything else.
An option, if you still want to acquire, would be at lease one adjustable.
Enjoy your shaves.

Dam you all. I wanted a solution but all you tell me is tpp. Time/pressure/practise. Us moles are not known for there patience ha ha

Thanks gents. 1 quick go of the hawk then I'm back to the 34c.

Heh, heh, know what you mean about the squeaky toy. We moved recently, and packing brought it to my attention that I have around 250 pounds or razors & accessories.

Yeah, hang onto your Hawk. Its a good razor, but that wide grill makes it a very different animal.

Another vote to pick one razor and stick with it for a while.

Keep in mind, aggressive razors such as the R 41 are not meant for everyone. I, for one, sold mine. My beard grows in many directions and to get a good shave I need to do four passes. The R 41 was too much for so many passes.

Well as I said I would, I gave the hawk a go before I go back to the merkur.
Really thick lather up and slow and gentle.
It was really nice. Really mild and I enjoyed the light weight I found it easier than the heavier razors.
Thanks for advice

I'll be back

Top Bottom