What's new

Your Sunburn remedies?

I bought this green jelly looking bottle of goop for my wife recently when she got burned. We picked it up Target, so I'd assume Wal-Mart should have it as well. I believe it was "Banana Boat" brand. The only reason I remembered about this stuff was my Mom always having some on hand when I was younger.

Last edited:
My wife is your stereotypical redhead with alabaster white skin - if she even thinks about the sun too long she burns. Being a California beach girl, she's had a lot of experience with treating sunburn, and she recommends a thick slathering of aloe immediately followed by light moisturizing lotion 2-3 times per day until the peeling stops.

The above supportive therapy is good advice and will help your skin to heal. Aspirin or ibuprofen can be helpful, especially initially before the burn sets it, during the first few hours after exposure.

While its painful now, the real damage may only be seen later in life, in the form of increased risk of skin cancers. Hopefully now you know to wear a hat, protective clothing and some good sunscreen.

Good luck on healing up!

from my years of working the fuel dock at the local marina growing up, I will share three of my remedies for soothing sunburn:

1: soak a towel in water that is as warm as you can physically tolerate on the sunburned area (key thing here is AFFECTED AREA). Spread the wet towel out over the affected area (yes, it will feel like you've dunked yourself in a deep fryer) and leave it there until it feels cool. This will 'draw the heat' out of the burn and makes it more tolerable for at least a few hours (ymmv).

2: When showering, DO NOT use soaps of any kind on the affected area. You want the oils in your skin to remain in place, helping to heal and moisturize.

3: Advil Liquid caps and super soft sweatpants or shirt. If the burn is bad enough, you're going to feel chilled anyway, so don't worry about if you'll feel too warm (especially if you do the #1 process above before dressing). The liquid caps will get the medicine into your system faster than hard pills. I roasted myself once on a rafting trip and found that nothing made me feel better than a cheap pair of 2-sizes too big Walmart sweats and a couple of liquid Advil.

My regimine for burns (if I get one...big on hats and sunscreen, too) is not far off from Ruckus, but more extreme...

I shower in water as warm as I can stand it, then towel off as brisk as I can take it.

If you are burned bad enough to blister this won't work...but for me it does seem to draw the heat away, and while the pain is still there, it has receded to a far more tolerable level.

I tried the vinegar routine once...but it didn't work very well, and I really smelled bad for quite some time.

I agree with the recommendation of Aloe.

I use it all the time for my kitchen burns and cuts, and I've found it not only soothing for the pain, but I also seem to heal faster.

If you have the opportunity, maybe you can pick up an aloe vera plant. They're very handy to have around, and you can just snap off a leaf tip in emergencies.

Sue

buy some cheap aloe gel,green in color.mix with "after sun lotion" usually yellow in color.have some one rub it in and let it stay till absorbed.reapply several times a day.
or run a tub of hot water. throw in a few tea bags,let it cool down a while .then get in and soak while imbibing an adult beverage.
some people swear by a baking soda paste.
good luck

Someone recommended Corn Huskers Lotion to me and swears by it. I know I've seen it mentioned on here before for other purposes. Thoughts?

I got sunburned a few weeks ago. I used a product made in Florida called ocean potion. It worked very well for me. Before that , I have always used noxema , which also works well for me.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Vinegar is a tried and true remedy. Aloe Vera is good, too. But if you just suffer, maybe you will remember to not get sunburnt in the future.

Vinegar is a tried and true remedy. Aloe Vera is good, too. But if you just suffer, maybe you will remember to not get sunburnt in the future.

Hopefully, but I doubt it...this is not my first time. About every 2-3 years, I am stupid in the sun. :laugh:

Thanks for the replies everyone...been having my wife apply some green aloe gel we found and I took a hot shower this morning as someone else suggested...that hurt but it's come down to a "tolerable" discomfort. Aspirin and water too.

Ph Balance (like NuSkin), followed by Aloe, followed by Kiss My Face moisturizer (low in oils, high in humectants that naturally attract moisture from the air).

I would like to tell you that i recentley went to the beach and got a terrible sunburn...and a little sun poisoning. I asked some of the locals what they used, thinking they would know the best, and they told me selsun blue. it will take the burn right out I think you must try this out.

First you have to build a time machine....

So as soon as you get that time machine please take note I need one too. :lol:

I always recommend that you invest in a jar of pure Lavender Essential Oil and then mix a bit of that with a witch hazel to put on with cotton balls - this will cool the burn and take out some of pain. The next day add some Lavender EO into some lotion the next day to speed healing and help keep the pain down. Lavender EO can be used at a high percentage but really if you use more than 10% you're wasting it.

Of course the only people on here worrying about sunburn this time of year are our friends in the southern hemisphere....

In addition to aloe-based lotions, I have found that a commercial product called Sarna works quite well for sun burn.

Top Bottom