What's new

Your Son's First Shave

I feel really bad that I got my Dad onto cartridges...

He always used DE (an old plastic Wilkinson Sword) but blades were getting hard to find (and expensive) locally. He hurt his arm at one point and was having trouble shaving so I gave him an extra cartridge handle I had in the cabinet.

I have since gone DE but he still uses the razor I gave him. :blushing: At least he still uses a decent brush and soap.

I have talked to him about my razor acquisitions and blade availability on the internet. He seems intrigued -- there is still hope that I can right this wrong!

My son is 12 and has begun to show some peach fuzz and a few thicker sprouts here and there. We've been talking about shaving and he's adamant that he wants to learn with a modern cartridge razor instead of a DE or straight. I'll probably teach him the basics with a cartridge and decent soaps and creams, and keep working on getting him to a DE or straight.

Timbit - It's funny you mentioned your dad. Even though my dad is only in his 60s, he has a degenerative brain disease that has affected both his cognitive abilities and fine motor function. My brother and I have been shaving him for a little over two years now and we've always used cartridge razors just for safety's sake. I may try a DE, but definitely not a straight!

I have no children, but I will share a little anecdote about my overzealousness for shaving as a kindle. I guess you could call it my "first shave"

I was probably 5 or 6 years old at the time, and I, like many boys, had a fascination with my father's shaving. I remember wanting to shave SO BADLY, and my father gave me strict instructions not to touch his razors or any of his bathroom things. Due to my fascination, my parents bought me a toy shaving set with a plastic razor and a little squirt bottle that you put liquid soap into and it foamed it up. I would "shave" alongside Dad from time to time.

One day I thought I was ready to graduate to the real thing. I took a Gillette Good News from the package, and proceeded to stick out my lower lip, and slice the crap out of it. No shaving cream or anything, just SLICE!

It was an important lesson, to respect sharp things! I don't even think my parents were mad about it, they just laughed in my face.

BTW, found a great Youtube channel with lots of Cosby Show episodes. The username is cosbyshow3.

This reminds me of when I was a kid. I can recall shaving alongside my father with my plastic razor, plastic mug and little brush. Although my father shaves with a catridge, I am hoping to convert him quite soon.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I remember that episode, this is when I started screaming "It's a DE! It's a DE!"

SWMBO said: "Geek!"

Same scenario when we saw Mad Men...

Back to the question, I would start on a DE straight away. I don't see why not. I would get a DE now so you will be ready.

My dad started with an electric but my skin couldn't take it. We moved to a Mach3 3 days later. He pretty much showed me, 1 pass, N-S, don't rinse, AS Splash are bad for you, get it over with as quickly as you can.

That's pretty much it. Looking back, if I would have the choice, minimum DE! Straight are my pick but I wouldn't give it to a 15 yo...

I have a 4 month old nephew so in 13 or 14 years I may get him something shaving related for his birthday. I got an electric for my 14th birthday and used it for the first time 3 days later. I have a vague memory of my dad helping me to shave my neck when I was about 15, using one of his disposables although I used an electric mostly until my mid-20s. Aside from that I pretty much figured out it out by myself (dad has almost always had a beard) and it was a task I stopped looking forward to once it became a daily necessity at 18 or so.

I have converted my dad to the DE. He only does his neck and upper cheeks and said he was amazed how easily it sliced through the stubble. It felt really weird showing him how to load up a blade. He's 62 so DEs would still have been common when he started shaving but he doesn't really remember what he used back then. Outside of B and B, it probably seems like asking what sort of toothbrush you used forty-odd years ago.

I'm amazed to read some guys here started before their teens. I think I only had to shave once a week at first and I went on to develop a really heavy stubble.

My son is 11, and he seems really interested in the stash of DE's I have laying around. He tells me how cool they are and keeps opening and closing them.

He is begging me to go back to the antique store and get an Aristocrat slim adjustable we saw the other day.

My son is two and he got a little cornhusker oil with just a hint of aqua velva last night...he had to go tell his mommy he smelled like a man. I felt like it was a good start :)

My son is 7 , but he has his own shave setup. He has a plastic razor , a plastic mug with an elephant on it containing a bar of my wife's dove soap , and a van der haagen boar brush on a stand. When he is ready , I will give him one of my superspeeds , buy him a badger brush , and let him start using one of my TOBS or DR Harris soaps.

As usual I didn't listen to him at all...

/A

I almost fell off my chair laughing over that line (but it's so true).

I am giving you a free pass to do whatever you want Axel. Here you are from Sweden and you have a better command of the English language than most American highschoolers have of the English language!

Where are we going wrong? I guess it all started with disposables.

My son is 8, and is constantly trying to convince me that he's starting to get stubble so he can borrow some of my stuff. A good sign.

Of course, my 10-year-old daughter just started shaving her legs, and her mother bought her some razor with built-in shave gel or some such. But she'll be coming back from her summer stay with her mother soon, so there's hope.

However this got me thinking, was the DE equipment (blades, razors, ...) that much worse back in the days? Has the technique get proved, did they shave in 3 minutes with no prep, only WTG and so on? Or why do almost no parent/grandparents shave with a DE?

/A

Good questions. My father used DE his whole life I, he passed away when he was young (1976). So DE was fine back in the day, the razors were great.

What happened was the mega-corporations saw an opportunity to make more money with cartridges, and they went for it with one advertising blitz after another.

Back in the day, the wife usually bought the blades and associated products, and the wife came home and said "I can't find X anymore". Hubby throws his hands up and says "Just get me one of those new cartridge things, Trac II or whatever" And there you go.

My son just started shaving about a month ago. It's peach fuzz and probably needs to be shaved maybe once a week or so.

I gave him an Atra handle and originally lathered up some Trumper's cream for him. For his second shave I lathered some Mama Bear's Spicy Lime. I can't always be there to lather for him, so I found an old tube of King of Shaves gel and I gave that to him about two weeks ago.

The other night he tells me he got 3 or 4 cuts shaving himself with the Atra and the gel. I didn't even know he was trying it. He would have killed himself with a DE! I asked him how he could butcher his face with a simple two-bladed cartridge razor and he was at a loss for words. He told me that he tried it again a few days later and everything was just fine.

I guess even with a cartridge razor there are some things that you just have to do a few times before you can do them correctly.

Nothing to add, really -but I can´t wait to teach him (way too young, though). He´s really interested in my old badger, so it´s promising :)

My first razor (a couple months ago) was a blue tip superspeed. I was really happy with the mildness and ease of use. I think I'm going to get each of my boys one of those to start out with, when they are ready. Thanks for all the advice and stories. Keep them coming!

Top Bottom