What's new

Your Shaving Gear Question

I have a question, and if this isn't appropriate please let me know and I will remove it.

How much money do you think you have spent on shaving gear: razors, brushes, and bowls/mugs?

I am just curious. I believe I am at around $500, most of it being when I bought my Feather razor.

Thousands. More than enough in most years to have keep me in carts and foam until I died, but not as much fun.

Not sure,maybe more then that and maybe less but I doubt it. If you are getting to the point there isn't any real savings in this way of shavings I don't think many would argue the point. Most probably came to save money, some began to embrace the hobby or luxury of the treatment. I consider it the same as people that asked the mpg my Honda Valkyrie got. I always replied I didn't buy it for it's fuel economy so I don't keep track. I know it ain't great being 6 cylinders and how I rode it. Point being you have to decide if it's for you and you can afford. If both are true I don't keep a count of it. I just enjoy it.

Last edited:
I'd say no more than $500 and probably less and a good bit of that is due to straight razors, hones. I've recycled much of it so when I've bought new stuff I've often sold old stuff to pay for it.

DE shaving costs me no more than cartridge shaving would (even cheap Trac II cartridges). The soap/creme I use costs a little more than what I was using with cartridges but not much more and everything else is cheaper.

I don't do it to save money however. I do it because it is more enjoyable.

I’m also at less than $500 within a 3 year time period. Software is the majority of that investment. The couple SRs I have are the next chunk. My DE razors and blades carry the smallest portion.

I could probably not buy anything else and be set for a couple years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Rough Estimates:

DE razors £80 over 25 years
Vintage razors £40 5 yrs ago
Brushes £10
(and that came with cream)
Vintage Scuttle £10
Mug £0 (large drinking mug which I got free years ago)

I’m probably at $150 all in. And about $40 of that was PIF’d to others. I’m thrifty :thumbup:

Either that or it’s because I just joined in mid-November.

Last edited:
Probably around 1500, but i could probably sell everything for about 2500. Much better return than my guns, fishing gear and guitars. Thats how i justify it.

Probably six or seven hundred. I stumbled upon wet-shaving as a potential way to rid myself of the irritation I had experienced with cartridges; I was intrigued by the potential for savings; and then I was hooked by the hobbyist nature of it. I love scents and the ways in which they can trigger memories, and I also love that there are subtle differences between the artisanal makers of shaving products.

All in all I fully expect to pay out more money as I collect soaps/creams/brushes/aftershaves. But it's now a hobby I enjoy, and a lot cheaper than other hobbies that I know of.

A few thousands. I'm in this hobby since 2012, but I haven't bought anything since Dec. 2016. I've found what works for me and I mostly have a steady rotation of products.

My first DE in 1980 was gifted to me by my father (a 1960s Fatboy),my second (and current DE) cost me 30 euros back in 2000 (a Merkur 34c).
My yearly costs are 5 euros for blades (a 10 euro pack of 100 SHARK SS blades lasts me for 2 years) ,3-6 euros for shaving foam (I go through 1,5 cans of 400 ml 1,5 euro Figaro shaving foam or 2 cans of 3 euro 300 ml Proraso red shaving foam per year with daily shaves) and around 15 euros for AS (mostly cheap Proraso green at 3-4 euros per bottle) since I use around 3-4 bottles per year .

Well over $1000. Most of it on software, but an embarrassing amount on razors. Not so much on brushes since the inexpensive synthetics came out--although I have a LOT of brushes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've been shaving for more than fifty years so I would imagine I'm up there a bit. But in the past ten years, I've bought four razors, Two Gillette New LC's, a Tech at probably ten dollars each and recently a $30 DE89. I've had a couple dozen Arko sticks and some Williams pucks. And for the sexy stuff, a few bottles of Pinaud Clubman. Also two brushes, an Omega Boar and a Razorock synthetic and I use Personna blades. So if I'm getting your question right, not very much. It's just shaving and DE shaving is pretty cheap but it feels really good.

I did have a simple answer but after reading @BigJ's post I reconsidered. And as I'm apt to do probably over complicated my reply.

proxy.php

Inner ring is the amount spent on each hobby per year for the time I've participated; outer ring is the percentage spent on each hobby relative to the total spent on on all hobbies.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would think for me it would be getting up to the region of $1000 give or take. I have spent nearly $100 each on a Gillette Senator and a Gillette Sheraton because I had to have them because most on this forum raved about the shaves. Adding in the soaps and balms etc it does add up. I don't want to keep a tally. I buy in dribs and drabs but I admit to looking for razors everyday on the www.

Top Bottom