What's new

Your Shave Themes

As I approach my one year anniversary for wetshaving, I find that increasingly I'm picking my setup based on various themes, and sampling new products with an eye towards completing a theme line-up. For example, today my theme was "earthy" and I used Irisch Moos SC and AS splash, followed with SCS Blend 2-11 EdT. I also have "herbal", "woody", "citrus", "spicy", "floral, and combinations of those like "herbal/woody" and "woody/spicy".

Does anyone else arrange their shaves in this way or am I just wierd? :blink::lol:

Not counting staying all within one "line" such as TOBS Eton College or Grafton, I'd have to say the Rose-Wood thing I've been doing lately.

Rose shower soap.
T+H Rose Shave Cream (sometimes superlathered with AOS Sandalwood soap)
Thayer's Rose
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 Balm
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EdT

I'm definitely going through a lime faze at the moment. Lime cream, lime balm lime aftershave lime shampoo and lime hand soap.

I do this, too. I try to think about how a light base scent from the cream or soap will play with the aftershave and cologne, like matching spicy warm scents etc.

At the risk of offending anyone
(Disclaimer: Sharks - Brilliant. Nazis - Rubbish)
I like to do my novelty/theme shaves by country, or by side in WW2.

Obviously a Merkur razor, with Feather blades, Proraso Pre/Post, Tabac Soap and Shavemac Brush will inevitably be beaten by Gillette Tech with Derby blade, Trumpers Skin Food, TOBS soap and Kent Brush.

I'm a bit of a weirdo, I know.

My only recurring theme is "how much product can I use up today so I can justify spending more money on shave loot?" :laugh:

I'm with Stubblefield.....

I don't try to do a theme shave set up but sometimes I get stuck on a certain scent for AS or EDT. SCS Savory Rose is one that I keep coming back to. I really love it. In fact I will wear it with other EDT's like C&E Sandalwood.

Since I found Ivy Club for $1.60 I am in my Ivy Club phase. Add it to witch hazel, and it to VDH soap, add it to the pump soap it is coming out of the faucets here!

That may be why women are asking me for my phone number!
But why do they write it on my check?

mrscottishman :huh:

Last edited:

Obviously a Merkur razor, with Feather blades, Proraso Pre/Post, Tabac Soap and Shavemac Brush will inevitably be beaten by Gillette Tech with Derby blade, Trumpers Skin Food, TOBS soap and Kent Brush.

Haha, you have a fierce competition between the powers on your hands.

Your not the only one who uses a geographical theme.

Sometimes I go all English (T&H/C&E/british Gillette, etc.) Sometimes its all German (Merkur, Nivea, Tabac, Spieck.)

If I can't get everything I need from one country, at least I stick to a region. For example, Musgo Real and 444 from Portugal will match with Floid and LaToja from Spain. I don't have too much from France (Cade) and Italy (Proraso,) but I'm working on it.

Probably the most elaborate Nationality theme I did was last July 4th, when I went for a Patriotic shave, using only products made in the USA. I had to dig way down deep into my collection to find all my domestic products, but I managed to get an incredible DFS+ with it all.

Last edited:
I don't really decide on a theme, but I too find myself pairing scents I think will complement each other. I do enjoying choosing a new razor to use every week; I don't focus on a strict rotation (#15, #66, #58, President... etc.) so much as I focus on "what would I enjoy revisiting this week?"

Probably the most elaborate Nationality theme I did was last July 4th, when I went for a Patriotic shave, using only products made in the USA. I had to dig way down deep into my collection to find all my domestic products, but I managed to get an incredible DFS+ with it all.

What are the American products you used?

What are the American products you used?

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap
Bigelow #1197 PSO
William's Mug Soap + KMF cream (unscented)
Peerless Pure Brush
DB Brush scuttle and lather bowl
Gem Micromatic
Aqua Velva
Bigelow #1200 ASB

There were a whole bunch of people grooving on the same track that day ... you can check it out in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94125

Only 5 months to go 'til this year's 4th of July ... start rounding up your gear.

Nice!:thumbup: You have me planning mine already. I'm thinking along the following lines....

Caswell-Massey Shower Soap--one from the Presidential Sampler (#6, Almond Cold Cream or Jockey Club)
Shampoo...hmmmmm?

On to the shave....
1912 Gem Jr.
Walgreen's Personna SE blade
Vintage nos Ever Ready Brush

Vintage Old Spice SS (perhaps amp the scent up with a little Ivy Club)
Thayers WH
Aqua Velva Musk

I don't have a scent theme but I like to shave with UK-made products as often as possible (but like David I have some US shaves).

Gillette HD Rocket
Wilkinson Sword blades (NOS)
Simpson Duke 2 Pure
Mitchell's Woolfat
D R Harris Pink aftershave
Geo F Trumper Fougena or Royal Cologne or D R Harris 'His' Toilet Water

Top Bottom