What's new

YOUR 1st one hundred blade purchase...

200 "viking sword" brand blades.
Made by the famous Personna factory in Israel.
I have yet to compare them to the Red IPs.

Hope all is well with U and your families. I have been enjoying my DE sampler pack that my beautiful wifey got me. So far... my two favorite DE blades are Shark Super Chromes & the Astra SPs. I am glad that Amazon sells a 100 pack of Astra SP for under ten dollars.

My next 100 pack will be the Shark Super Chromes. So... how 'bout U? What was your 1st 100-pack purchase?

Similar experience. Based on the common advice to noobs I ordered a blade sample pack from WCS. I did my own "field test", keeping good notes along the way over the course of a few months. My first 100 blade order was on the Astra Superior Platinums from Amazon for $9.50. Along the way I found the Personna Supers are a very good blade for me as well and ordered 100 for $13.00 from an eBay seller. I alternate and use both blades in my rotation.

After going through my sample pack, I bought 200 Red IPs. I used Red IP for almost six months extensively. They were great but lately, I have been going after sharper blades(Gillette Yellows, Perma Sharp, Meds etc.). Unfortunately, my funds are limited I don't know if that is good or bad. Sometimes, RBAD kicks in and I had to control the temptation. I would love to bulk buy some Iridium and few other blades...

Dorco ST-301's. Bought a lot of 100 on eBay, only to have ST-300's sent to me. After some discussion of whether they are the same blade (they are NOT), he agreed to accept return of the 300's. He sent a 100-pack of ST-301's, and 50 extra for my trouble. Total cost, including return postage for the 300's and the price of the auction, was $10, for 150 ST-301's. I've been through about 50 of these blades, with no complaint, though there are some other blades that I like a bit better.

Derby

I started DE shaving with a 5-pack of Derby's. Great shaves from the start so ordered a brick after my first shave.

I am working my way through a sampler now but still use Derby's regularly to keep a reference and they are still among the best for me.

I went for what seems to be one of the most highly recommended newbie blades...the Astras. Got 100 for $9.99 free shipping. Hard to beat that deal.

Personna lab Blues or Reds or both at the same time I don't remember. Last week I order and received a box of Astra SP. Good overall blades as far as my skin tells me. Need to try an Astra in my slant soon.

My first 100 blade purchase was Derby's, due to a shipping error I actually received 200 of them. Fine for me, since I think I'm the only guy who actually likes Derby's.

My next 100 Blade purchase is probably going to be Personna Med Preps, I am picking up ten of them this week to see for sure if I like them.

EDIT; i also just purchased 300 PTFE SE GEM blades in the group buy, as I am a new (two weeks in) convert to SE shaving.

Last edited:
Astra SP was my first and second 100 lot purchase. I did, however, buy 50 IRP from a member through BST. I like them, too, but Astra is my blade of choice. Much thanks to the Great Blade Exchange - a fantastic service to B&B members by B&B members.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Went through a lot of samples to winnow my choice down to Astra SPs and Shark SCs. The Astras won out; I am now about to order my second hundred. They work so well for me in my R41 that everything else feels like fool's gold. For my face, my style of shaving and the glop that I use, Astra SPs give me at least four great shaves per blade.

Naturally, YMMV.

B.

Astra SP's. Just bought them a few weeks ago. Price is great; they suite my beard/skin/razor fine. But being one (like the rest here) who dabbles, compares, experiments... I am confident my next 100 will be something else.

Crystals were my first 100, then 100 Astra SP. Now, with Astras at $8/100, I'm thinking about buying like 1,000. :punk: Seems like there's a lot of Astra love going around here.

Top Bottom