What's new

You wiley Canadians. Keeping this a secret for so long

$image.jpg

The North Georgia mountains are hardly known as a hotbed of cultural diversity. We leave all that in Atlanta. A good bit of societal variance does show up around here from Florida via Hwy. 5 from I-75 on weekends mostly. Opinions vary a lot as to whether or not this is a good thing . But I digress.....

The one thing we do not get is even a moderate dose of Canadiana. So, imagine my surprise when I saw this in a local market. And these are TASTY little suckers too!!! I have travelled extensively through Canada (New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia) and have never seen these goodies. How long have they been around? Is the package correct? Are these the #1 Flavor (or more correctly "flavour") in the Great White North? O Canada...
You have some great snacks!!!

Last edited:
For years, when I ate chips, these were always my favorite. I just learned a little while ago they were a Canadian thing, I had no idea! These and Hickory Sticks, awesome! I don't know if they're really the Canadian favorite, but they sure are popular.

So what's the flavor?
Package looks like BBQ, vinegar and chili powder or paprika. My guess anyway.

Kind of hard to say. Somewhat of a BBQ-y taste but with a serious citrus tang on the back side. I'm liking it quite a bit..and it sure ain't maple syrup.

They've been around for years, probably decades.

The claim that they are the number one flavour is somewhat dubious (at least, based on my social circles).

While hickory sticks may be widely sold, Hostess Hickory Sticks are ubiquitously Canadian. Hostess had been the leading Canadian chip company until it was acquired by Lays in 1988. The Hostess brand name was dropped from most products in 1996 and is now seldom seen, other than on the Hickory Sticks.

Very cool. How did those get all the way from Canada to NOGA?

From what I can find, they were a limited run in the US last year, and they became a permanent flavor in the US market early this year. So they should be readily available.

I didn't know that they were only available here in Canada until I read this thread. My personal favourite is a tie between Smokey Bacon and Dill Pickle flavour. :a23::a23:

The Hawkin's plant is just down from me in Belleville. People bring free bags of those things to work all the time. From a couple people I've known working there, one could live alone on the stuff they give away, if it were the least beneficial to your health!

Top Bottom