What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Late to the party but I finally got one of these.

I have a pirate beard that grows in all directions so I wasn't expecting much. I normally use and love the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant, which is a bit of a beast to tame.

Popped a blade in and shaved mindlessly on 4. I was seriously impressed. The next day I did the same pass on 5 and that seemed a bit much to me.

My thoughts? It's a serious winner. Early to tell but I suspect it will shave as close or nearly as close as my YTAS, but much gentler on the skin.

I didn't even notice that the blade was diagonal. I am in the process of getting a replacement, which I expect will be even better.

Well done, Yaqi! They have really knocked it out of the park.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Late to the party but I finally got one of these.

I have a pirate beard that grows in all directions so I wasn't expecting much. I normally use and love the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant, which is a bit of a beast to tame.

Popped a blade in and shaved mindlessly on 4. I was seriously impressed. The next day I did the same pass on 5 and that seemed a bit much to me.

My thoughts? It's a serious winner. Early to tell but I suspect it will shave as close or nearly as close as my YTAS, but much gentler on the skin.

I didn't even notice that the blade was diagonal. I am in the process of getting a replacement, which I expect will be even better.

Well done, Yaqi! They have really knocked it out of the park.
You must be going to buy the brass version I'm thinking for your replacement(they make TFC brass ones in small batches, limited edition), the Safety bar is slightly different than the Chrome TFC version also. I'm not sure if that makes a difference(might be smoother?), I bought a second TFC chrome version on the live sale months ago, they must of made a mistake on pricing and got a exceptional deal on that one. I'm also happy with my Yaqi TFC adjustable also.
Very affordable for a fellow thinking about a good adjustable and should last many years with some care IMO.

You must be going to buy the brass version I'm thinking for your replacement(they make TFC brass ones in small batches, limited edition), the Safety bar is slightly different than the Chrome TFC version also. I'm not sure if that makes a difference(might be smoother?), I bought a second TFC chrome version on the live sale months ago, they must of made a mistake on pricing and got a exceptional deal on that one. I'm also happy with my Yaqi TFC adjustable also.
Very affordable for a fellow thinking about a good adjustable and should last many years with some care IMO.
I also bought a second in chrome hoping the handle had more grip because the knurling on the chrome bottom and adjuster is better than the gunmetal handle. The handle grip is the same on both colors, so I picked up the brass. The brass have smooth safety bars but it's also lacquer coated.
Both models shave great, the brass is longer and heavier. The zamak is a bargain amd a great razor

I just got in a Brass TFC. Can't wait to shave with it. I initially bought a Flexi Pearl as it was all brass vs the yaqi zamac TFC. Unfortunately, the Pearl Flexi v11 I got had a gap slant issue and Murphy and McNeil were amazing to deal with and took care of me and I returned the Pearl. I really didn't want to deal with trying to fix a brand new razor and moved on.

I almost went with the regular TFC but saw there was a brass one out too I didn't initially see or know about. It's a bit more cost then the Pearl but having this Yaqi TFC in brass in my hands now I'm so happy I moved on from the Pearl and have the Yaki. It's so much more solid feeling. The bottom plate doesn't have the play in it like the Flexi did. Seems really well built and the blade gap is even across.

Someone mentioned early in this thread about no way they would get a Chinese razor over a razor made in India. Well, considering Pearl Flexi is up to over 11 versions and they still have gap issues, I'm not the only one, I'd say it's up to the manufacturing spec requirements and QA not the place of origin. I'm not saying there's not good Pearl Flexi razors out there and they don't shave great as I'm sure there are. I happen to get a dud from one company and a spot on quality one from another in their first delivery to me.

full

I just got in a Brass TFC. Can't wait to shave with it. I initially bought a Flexi Pearl as it was all brass vs the yaqi zamac TFC. Unfortunately, the Pearl Flexi v11 I got had a gap slant issue and Murphy and McNeil were amazing to deal with and took care of me and I returned the Pearl. I really didn't want to deal with trying to fix a brand new razor and moved on.

I almost went with the regular TFC but saw there was a brass one out too I didn't initially see or know about. It's a bit more cost then the Pearl but having this Yaqi TFC in brass in my hands now I'm so happy I moved on from the Pearl and have the Yaki. It's so much more solid feeling. The bottom plate doesn't have the play in it like the Flexi did. Seems really well built and the blade gap is even across.

Someone mentioned early in this thread about no way they would get a Chinese razor over a razor made in India. Well, considering Pearl Flexi is up to over 11 versions and they still have gap issues, I'm not the only one, I'd say it's up to the manufacturing spec requirements and QA not the place of origin. I'm not saying there's not good Pearl Flexi razors out there and they don't shave great as I'm sure there are. I happen to get a dud from one company and a spot on quality one from another in their first delivery to me.

full

Congrats on your recent acquisition of the TFC Brass. Very satisfying and consistent performer.
Many a great shaves to you....:shaving:

Post this here for my initial shave and thoughts.

OBIF'23 Astra SP (11/28)

Cream: Cremo Original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Yaqi Brass TFC w/ Astra SP (11/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Proraso green
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

9/10

Wow, what an excellent razor! I wanted a Gibs clone. Heritage stopped, Rex seemed a bit pricey, Pearl failed me, and the Yaqi has come through spectacularly.

I love the all brass finish and the weight that it brings. Handle length is perfect for me . Feels well balanced, so not handle heavy. The grip in the shower with slicko cremo had no issues. The top cap is not bulky so I could get everything with ease.

Highly efficient. On setting 1 I could some what feel the blade and on 2 on up the aggressiveness just got stronger. I would say this maybe the most aggressive adjustable I have but not uncomfortable at all.

The adjustments is on the safety bars going up and down so it's a direct change to gap leaving the blade angle alone. IMO, like mentioned for the toggle, this is the best way for an adjustable to adjust.

I have to say this has nearly toppled the Parker Variant as my favorite modern adjustable razor. For me personally I do wish it went just a touch milder. I like the knurling on the Parker better. But that's about it between the two that still gives the Parker Variant the very small edge for me. IMO YMMV TGIF ETC

Only reason this didn't get a 10/10 is I did get some neck irritation. And one of those not while shaving but just after irritations. I went 4 on sides of face, 1 on neck, and 2 under nose and chin. Even on 1 it was very efficient and I didn't realize how efficient it was. I would have adjusted more if I felt it while shaving.

Going to have to give it a go again tomorrow. Wow, just wow love the razor.

Third day here....I changed the blade for a new one.

I started at #3 WTG, followed by #3.5 XTG and #4 ATG.

I am currently using the Osma Shave Soap and a Wilkinson Gillette Blade (Chinese version).

Well....for this setup I seemed to have surpassed the sweet spot. Yes it gave me a smooth result and yes there was blood....
Unfortunately, spending that much blood did not lead to a much better result. The result equals the settings #2-#3.

However, I will try the very same settings with a Nacet or Shark. They are normally my go to blades.

Still a great tool, but as we know different razors might need different blades.

Cheers

Post this here for my initial shave and thoughts.

OBIF'23 Astra SP (11/28)

Cream: Cremo Original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Yaqi Brass TFC w/ Astra SP (11/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Proraso green
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

9/10

Wow, what an excellent razor! I wanted a Gibs clone. Heritage stopped, Rex seemed a bit pricey, Pearl failed me, and the Yaqi has come through spectacularly.

I love the all brass finish and the weight that it brings. Handle length is perfect for me . Feels well balanced, so not handle heavy. The grip in the shower with slicko cremo had no issues. The top cap is not bulky so I could get everything with ease.

Highly efficient. On setting 1 I could some what feel the blade and on 2 on up the aggressiveness just got stronger. I would say this maybe the most aggressive adjustable I have but not uncomfortable at all.

The adjustments is on the safety bars going up and down so it's a direct change to gap leaving the blade angle alone. IMO, like mentioned for the toggle, this is the best way for an adjustable to adjust.

I have to say this has nearly toppled the Parker Variant as my favorite modern adjustable razor. For me personally I do wish it went just a touch milder. I like the knurling on the Parker better. But that's about it between the two that still gives the Parker Variant the very small edge for me. IMO YMMV TGIF ETC

Only reason this didn't get a 10/10 is I did get some neck irritation. And one of those not while shaving but just after irritations. I went 4 on sides of face, 1 on neck, and 2 under nose and chin. Even on 1 it was very efficient and I didn't realize how efficient it was. I would have adjusted more if I felt it while shaving.

Going to have to give it a go again tomorrow. Wow, just wow love the razor.
Here's 3 of the Gibs clones side by side, all work great. I originally was a little disappointed when I learned the current TFC brass was longer than the first brass batch after I ordered. I'm over that and enjoy the razor.

Here's 3 of the Gibs clones side by side, all work great. I originally was a little disappointed when I learned the current TFC brass was longer than the first brass batch after I ordered. I'm over that and enjoy the razor.
Thanks, that's a nice line up. The handle length for me is perfect. Same length as the Parker Variant. About 3.5".

full
I have many of the razors you mentioned including the Flexi and the Yaqi The Final Cut in both Zamak and in Brass. The quality of workmanship on the YAQI brass is far more precise than the Flexi.
I find it to be an excellent razor that shaves very well. I believe they make a longer handled version these days but I am happy with my shorter handle version. I kinda wish the handle was a little thicker but that's okay.
This razor shows that YAQI has the capability to create good pretty razors if they take their time and take all the valid steps to get to this point.
I hope to see a stainless steel version with a few improvements come about some day or for them to have a crack at different razors whilst maintaining this level of quality if not better.

Unfortunately few will risk spending all that money on Chinese shavers besides criticizing it, but when they spent thousands dollars on a razor that has (stupdly) GLUED parts that's ok!!... I said it and I repeat, little do they know what they are missing! I venture to say that this is the best adjustable on the market. Pearl Flexi can be all brass too and cost less, but they can make 10 more versions that will never have the charm of TFC!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Pearl Flexi can be all brass too and cost less, but they can make 10 more versions that will never have the charm of TFC!

I do not own a Pearl Flexi razor but my understanding is Version #1 had a weak spring or possibly a poorly machined seat surface to seat the spring properly. Version #2 corrected those issues but for some unknown reason they call them "V" V10 or > where they should call them "BV" meaning Batch Version # because that is how they control their QC it seems if issues arise.
From my understanding they will make a batch of 100+ Flexi adjustable razors and sell them and replace them with another batch version. Most folks really enjoy the Flexi from my understanding but I have not purchased one yet.
Not sure if this should be mentioned on the Yaqi adjustable thread TFC but oh well I did hoping it clears historical issues.
Rex ambassador had spring issues at first but that has been corrected quickly also with a better spring.
I think that might be the issue with the Gibbs adjustable razor concept getting the spring correct, to much tension(= much wear and tear occurs + hard to turn adjustment knob) or to little tension gives base tension plate slanting issues but the spring that works best is a good balanced spring that just works well for the head design weight and is made from stainless steel because of moisture issues also + spring is manufactured accurately also on the ends to push squarely upwards or downwards accurately under a balanced tension up or down motions on the tension plate.
Have some great shaves!

FYI, Pearl Flexi V2 did correct a huge amount of gap alignment issues from v1. But they didn't stop just seemed to reduce the number of them. There has still been people, like me, since v2 with gap alignment issues. I probably could have sent mine in for a swap and the next one may have been just fine. Someone else on here did just that and the next one received was good.

After seeing periodic complaints of people having gap alignment issues beyond v2 and chancing it but getting it myself I decided to move on. I'm glad I did.

I just ordered TFC. I would like to get replacement springs as it appears to be a weak point. I Google them searched ebay amazoom etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can order them?

I just ordered TFC. I would like to get replacement springs as it appears to be a weak point. I Google them searched ebay amazoom etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can order them?
I found a video on YT about the spring/coil specs from Yaqi TFC:

Original compression coil specs
Outer diameter : 10mm
Length : 12mm
Wire diameter : 0.8mm

Similar "easy to found" replacement compression coil specs
Outer diameter : 10mm
Length : 15mm
Wire diameter : 1.0mm

Ideal compression coil specs (according from video author)
Outer diameter : 10.2mm
Length : 15mm
Wire diameter : 1.2mm

Good morning gents,

I missed my feedback on the TFC with a shark SS blade.

Unfortunately, I had to go in a short vacation trip, hence here I am.

The shave before have been done with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade (Chinese version) . It was a bit rough but gave great results when dialing up to #3. With #4 I had to spend quite a serious amount of blood without having achieved a better shave .

However, having changed the blade to a shark SS the shaves with dial-up method from #2-#3 are really smooth, no blood, no irritation and an instand relaxed skin feeling afterwards. This seems to a sweet spot for my skin. I don't dare moving to higher settings being afraid of having a terrible shave that costs me half of a week to recover from. Maybe on an upcoming Saturday morning, I will see.

Cheers gents!
Have a great weekend, have a great shave :)

You may want to wait till you get it to see how you like it first. I guess you can get a spring as a spare if needed in a decade or so.

But the spring in my brass TFC seems quite capable and puts a good amount of pressure on the pressure plate to where there's no play in it. I took it apart and can really feel it pushing pretty decently against pushing it back in. I did find out you have to alline the pressure plate to bottom plate correctly or the dial doesn't line up to 1.

You mean I have to disassemble the razor completely in order to align the dot to #1 at minimum setting? Today I realized that the red dot builds up more and more distance to #1 at minimum setting.

Ok, I just disassembled the razor. I was wrong, the red dot does not offset to #1 over time. It never fit properly. It seems my #1 offsets to #1.2 generally.

But anyway, within the very same scaling system my references keep consistent to eachother. However, I cannot compare to others.

When disassembling, the razor felt a bit flimsy. If they ever decide to produce a stainless steel version I would buy it immediately. The additional weight would also prevent me from pressing too much, which I tend to with lighter razors.

Now I need paint for the dialing numbers....

Top Bottom