What's new

Wrestling taken out of the Olympics

A lot of people here are saying that they're not fans, but can't understand the decision. I'm in this category, as well. My assumption is that it's a ratings based decision. As in, people were not watching the wrestling events. Did you watch them? I, honestly, did not. I watched gymnastics and track and some swimming and basketball. I caught the end of one wrestling event.

I could be wrong about this, but that's my assumption. I think if there was a real interest, they wouldn't have done away with it.

Years ago they did away with women's softball, which, at the time, I thought it was an odd decision. That was before I realized that the whole world watches the Olympics and most of the world probably doesn't pay any attention to women's softball.

Edit:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestli...president-jacques-rogge-meet-wrestling-leader

The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission that analyzed 39 criteria, including TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board may have included political and sentimental factors.

Last edited:
I watched most of the matches online. I rather watch Judo, wrestling, and weightlifting than endless hours of swimming and gymnastics. Believe it or not the above three sports take less time to air and can be very suspenseful and entertaining (even to novices).

I'm not a fan of wrestling, but it is such a pure, traditional sport that it belongs in the Olympics. There are so many new, silly sports included now, many of them enumerated above, that it seems a shame to eliminate a classic contest.

I haven't watched the Olympics since I was a teenager back in the late '60s.

Whose idea was it to drop wrestling? The guy who invented New Coke? Or was it the guy who ruined NASCAR?

The IOC is a rat's nest of corruption. This is all about turf battles within the organization and some half-baked notion of marketing to "youth." If the IOC could reclassify "wrestling" as Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn hitting each other with flaming pillows while doing llamaback base jumping, it would still be on the schedule.

Top Bottom