What's new

Would you store your vintage collection in the bathroom?

+1983502, .... Keep 'em out the bathroom.... as mentioned all over the above posts

top shelf, the one with green fuzz, the case is steel under the whatever it is, under the green fuzz is a bent fancy pants piece of steel
this is only one example of a few you have there that ARE going to go rusty and look like the MonkeyPox, when rust spots ruin the fuzz, fact jack! any blades will go poxy!
You collet 'em an' keep 'em if you want, it's your money your time your razors :D

moisture
humidity
UV
and limit camera flash photography :p

...Now my theory is the humidity and moisture aspect from the shower might be a problem...
Congratulations for an amazing collection!
In order to make an informed decision and challenge your theory, you will need a hygrometer. A good quality digital hygrometer is not that expensive, and should be useful regardless where you end up displaying your collection.
Get one first and start recording the relative humidity in your bathroom for several weeks.
Depending on your building and the air exhaust/ventilation system you have in your home, humidity might not be that high (I mean above 50-55%RH)
My bathrooms stay at around 40%, pretty much like the rest of the house, sometimes even dropping to 25-30% during winters. During showers humidity goes up to 60% for about 15-20 minutes then goes back to normal, for the rest of the day. I do not have large bathrooms and that is a factor (bathroom ventilation system should be properly sized to be effective).
My advice, get a digital hygrometer, if you don't have one already, and start measuring the humidity.
Also, calibrate or at least test it using the salt method before using it.
Good luck, and if I didn't say it already, congratulations for an amazing collection!

Congratulations for an amazing collection!
In order to make an informed decision and challenge your theory, you will need a hygrometer. A good quality digital hygrometer is not that expensive, and should be useful regardless where you end up displaying your collection.
Get one first and start recording the relative humidity in your bathroom for several weeks.
Depending on your building and the air exhaust/ventilation system you have in your home, humidity might not be that high (I mean above 50-55%RH)
My bathrooms stay at around 40%, pretty much like the rest of the house, sometimes even dropping to 25-30% during winters. During showers humidity goes up to 60% for about 15-20 minutes then goes back to normal, for the rest of the day. I do not have large bathrooms and that is a factor (bathroom ventilation system should be properly sized to be effective).
My advice, get a digital hygrometer, if you don't have one already, and start measuring the humidity.
Also, calibrate or at least test it using the salt method before using it.
Good luck, and if I didn't say it already, congratulations for an amazing collection!
Why? just why do you need a hygrometer? bathroom = wet area, wet area + steel/cardboard even timber case = bad ... easy peazy not so squeazy. :blink:

Why is a difficult question. Here is why:

My life is complicated, certainly not "easy-peazy not so squeazy". I am not happy about it, but it is what it is.
Your equation is applicable only to your bathroom. The original question is if I would store my collection in my bathroom. And the answer is simple (to me, at least): yes, I would. Just because my bathroom is not "wet". How do I know it is not wet? Because I have a hygrometer that tells me so.
Now, my advice to you (not that you asked for one, but you started your reply with a "why") would be that you should not store your collection in your bathroom, just because your bathroom is wet.
I hope that helps.

Why is a difficult question. Here is why:

My life is complicated, certainly not "easy-peazy not so squeazy". I am not happy about it, but it is what it is.
Your equation is applicable only to your bathroom. The original question is if I would store my collection in my bathroom. And the answer is simple (to me, at least): yes, I would. Just because my bathroom is not "wet". How do I know it is not wet? Because I have a hygrometer that tells me so.
Now, my advice to you (not that you asked for one, but you started your reply with a "why") would be that you should not store your collection in your bathroom, just because your bathroom is wet.
I hope that helps.
That certainly helped, do I need buy a dehumidifier?

I have a UV meter, it's called coloured cardboard, works really well too.

1-IMG_20231227_132627~2.jpg

Interesting, that makes a lot of since… wow I had no clue...
Just curious, how long do you estimate that you keep your bathroom lights on in a day? Two hours?
Don't tell me you keep them on all day long. I mean, you could since they are LEDs, but you don't.
I admit, I have no experience when it comes to museums and displaying collections. Pretty sure we have a curator on this board that could teach us a lesson or two.
Meanwhile, just get a red cardboard box for the UV meter protection thingy...

I get up at 4;30am every morning, go the bathroom, turn on the sun, do you know, whatever in there, then to conserve ultraviolent light, when I leave the bathroom, I turn the sun off, damn thoughtful of me to cut costs, like that. But come 7 to 7;30pm the bleedin sun won't work in me bathroom for some reason? :blink: I axed God for a warranty on a faulty item/product, but as yet she not answered any my emails and she got no phone number listed on her website? :crying:

Legion

Staff member
Just curious, how long do you estimate that you keep your bathroom lights on in a day? Two hours?
Don't tell me you keep them on all day long. I mean, you could since they are LEDs, but you don't.
I admit, I have no experience when it comes to museums and displaying collections. Pretty sure we have a curator on this board that could teach us a lesson or two.
Meanwhile, just get a red cardboard box for the UV meter protection thingy...
Curators in museums do not deal with the conservation of the collections. Ask me how I know.

The OP asked "would you?"

The consensus is no, but you can keep your collection however you see fit. My advise is to go with the science. You can store anything anywhere, it just depends how well you want it to last. There is a very good reason museums spent hundreds of thousands on climate control and lighting. And it is not always to spend that years purchase budget.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If your collection is just stainless steel/brass/aluminum/titanium... razors, they are certainly convenient to use in the bathroom.
But when our hard-earned collection includes more than just razors, keeping them away from moisture is never a bad idea.
(Especially wood, cardboard, cloth, leather, hair...or other materials that may absorb moisture from the air)

I live in a humid Asian island country and the moisture in the air damages many of our things. Even several of my computer graphics cards.
So my shaving-related collection is usually displayed in the study room, and only appears in the bathroom when they are rotated.

You love the razors, love looking at them, and probably love showing them off. Therefore they should be kept in a prominent place in your home where they can be frequently and easily viewed. I have the majority of my collection in 4 curio cabinets in my dining room/living room. As soon as people enter my home they get to see my collection.

And as others have mentioned, keep the moisture away from the wood curio cabinet and the precious razor cases.

I have about 18 razors (some new, some vintage) in the bathroom, the rest are stored in a roll-top desk in another part of the house. Also, I store about 10 brushes, 20 soaps and aftershaves, and a couple tucks of blades in the bathroom. Everything else is in the desk.

Top Bottom