What's new

Works in progress or Finally back on the lathe.

Here are three brush handles I'm working on. It's been quite a while since I was busy building a greenhouse.

20191113_151606.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
All different shapes and styles. Very inter and very nice to. Please show us the finished product.

Thanks, I still struggle with the CA finish. I keep getting really close to finished then wearing through to bare wood in a small spot. I can never seem to build up any good layers because they end up really rough and need considerable sanding to smooth them out.
The greenhouse is pretty much finished. We just have to get some sand to spread on the floor then put down the weed barrier. And there are a few more little details to finish up.

Nice job, the one on the left looks particularly cool.

What brand/viscosity of CA are you using? All CA is not equal, some flat out suck to use as a finish. I really like Starbond and really hate Loc-Tite. I’m not overly fond of Stickfast either, even though it’s pushed to pen turners as a CA finish. Several of my penturning friends swear by Glu-Boost and won’t use anything else.

Nice job, the one on the left looks particularly cool.

What brand/viscosity of CA are you using? All CA is not equal, some flat out suck to use as a finish. I really like Starbond and really hate Loc-Tite. I’m not overly fond of Stickfast either, even though it’s pushed to pen turners as a CA finish. Several of my penturning friends swear by Glu-Boost and won’t use anything else.

Stick fast thin for a few coats then usually stick fast thick for a few coats, sanding between coats.

Ok... Stickfast isn’t my fave but I still got some beautiful finishes with it. I think the problem is you’re using thick, for finishes you should never go beyond medium. And apply it like you’re being a little stingy with the stuff, many thin coats will keep you from getting ridges and help prevent sanding through. It’s a bit tricky to master but man, there’s nothing like it once you get the process dialed in. I’d post a pic but this is your thread and I don’ want to hijack it.

Ok... Stickfast isn’t my fave but I still got some beautiful finishes with it. I think the problem is you’re using thick, for finishes you should never go beyond medium. And apply it like you’re being a little stingy with the stuff, many thin coats will keep you from getting ridges and help prevent sanding through. It’s a bit tricky to master but man, there’s nothing like it once you get the process dialed in. I’d post a pic but this is your thread and I don’ want to hijack it.

I appreciate the advice. I'll use the thin only till I run out then I will try a different brand. I'll also try to be stingy with it. I have gotten beautiful results with it on several brushes it just takes much more effort than I know it should.

Great looking handles and thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I enjoy most of the process and love the end result. I look forward to improving my skills so I can enjoy more of the process and get the end results more efficiently.

Here is the Olive wood handle finished with the two band badger knot in. Also a razor which I did some work on. The scales just needed some refinement and a new finish.

20191117_221110.jpg

Great looking..and very interesting. I only use thin CA for finishing. ( sometimes a wee bit of medium for filling )
After starting the finish, I only use wet micro mesh. It did take me quite a while to get the process sorted out.
Nice to see the olive wood finished...good work.
Dave

Great looking..and very interesting. I only use thin CA for finishing. ( sometimes a wee bit of medium for filling )
After starting the finish, I only use wet micro mesh. It did take me quite a while to get the process sorted out.
Nice to see the olive wood finished...good work.
Dave

Thank you. At least I know I'm not the Turner to have trouble getting CA finish technique figured out.

Here are three brushes I made a while ago and finally got knots in.
Left to right. Black Walnut and Olive with boar this one has a wipe on poly finish. Black Walnut with horse hair knot and a Black Walnut with brass shavings and epoxy vein and a blond horse hair knot. These two have a tung oil finish.

20191119_161235.jpg

Thanks @greydog I'm combining your previous advice which definitely helped with recent advice from @CigarSmoka and @D.S Thomson. The finish has been going much better on the other two. I have switched from using paper towel to apply with a rubber glove and using very little CA and spreading it very thin. The advice was actually all pretty similar but sometimes it takes hearing/reading something multiple times slightly different ways for things to click. At least for me. I turned 43 today and I still struggle with a lot of the terms and proper usage in English classes for my kids.

Top Bottom