What's new

Women's DE ?? To Be Used For Legs, Underarms, Bikini Area

Today my wife used my Merkur HD w/ a Derby on her legs, and she is interested in switching from Mach-3 cartridges! :w00t:

I'm trying to find some information on what a good razor would be for her.

Open comb?

Gillette Super Speed?

I think I need something that is not very aggressive. I watched her technique today and it was kind of scaring me. She was J-hooking and constantly changing the angle. I was surprised she came out of with out serious blood loss. Just one weeper.

I was thinking of a long handle HD, but I think I would prefer something cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Lady Gillette. The handles have one of 4 sweet colors, topped off by a star pattern underneath the head. It's effectively a long handled Superspeed, so it satisfies the need for a more mild razor. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

A longer handle certainly helps with the legs, but that skin is tough and even the more aggressive heads work well.

I agree on the Lady Gillete

I gave one to SWMBO and she loves it!!

She only cut herself once, and she admitted that she reached the end of her attention span . . .

She likes the extra length handle, the pretty stars, and the razor's feminine look.

I like the fact that she isn't using $4.00 cartridges for one shave and throwing them out because they are dull . . . now she gets 2-3 shaves out of a Personna . . . go figure!!! :lol:

I stumbled upon a Gillette Super Adjustable, 1978 vintage, for the princely sum of $10.80 on eBay. With the plastic head base and thinner doors, it's lighter than the pre-1977 models, which I prefer. I gave it to a friend who uses it on her legs and elsewhere. Her technique may not be that great, but she likes it dialed down to 1 or 2, with a Dorco ST-300 blade, of all things. She also likes it with Red Personnas. I gave her a pack of Trigs and a pack of Treets to try when the Dorcos run out. (This was done before, not during, Halloween. Trig or Treet, (sic.))

The longer handle, lighter weight, and ability to dial it down or up over a wide range make it ideal for feminine applications.

Alright..

So we've ordered her a razor. 1965 Ladies Gillette in Champagne. (Thanks dreadpirate)

Now.. She had some irritation today from her first DE shave with my HD. We used VDH soap and lathered it right on her legs. Now, like I mentioned before, her technique was not very good. To much pressure, and not holding a steady angle mostly.

We used VDH and lathered it up right on her legs. She did not shower first, and kind of had goosebumps a little from the cold when we were shaving. Normally she would do this in the shower, but being the first time we did it outside the tub. After a few passes, she rinsed with a cold washcloth, and put some of my Nivia AS Balm on her legs.

Now, the questions..

What type of soap do you recommend? The VDH is cheap, so it would be easy to keep a puck in the shower and use it like a stick. I melted it into an old Degree deodorant stick to try and make her a small shave stick. Have yet to try that. Doubt she'll use a brush.

What about post shave? Technique? Blades?

Anything and everything you got! Need her to stick with it so we can get rid of our Mach-3's for good. :001_cool:

Now, the questions..

What type of soap do you recommend? The VDH is cheap, so it would be easy to keep a puck in the shower and use it like a stick. I melted it into an old Degree deodorant stick to try and make her a small shave stick. Have yet to try that. Doubt she'll use a brush.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with VDH Deluxe. However, I don't believe you will get an adequate lather from it, if you are not using a brush.

If she is dead set against a brush, her results will be much better with a brushless cream (Nancy Boy, and Kiss My Face are well reviewed), or with a really good quality canned gel (Aveeno Positively Smooth).

Another vote for Kiss My Face creams. They do great without a brush, and I've even been seeing their selection popping up in the "organic" sections of a few of my local grocery stores. Most whole food types of stores also carry their creams, or you can buy them all over the internet.
Interesting timing on this thread BTW. Last week my girlfriend told me that her can of goo exploded on her. The seal at the top of the can must have been bad, it came off one day, shooting gel all over the place. I gave her a bottle of KMF that doesn't see much time in my rotation, and she loves it. No brush yet, but she said she's never had smoother and softer legs right after a shave. She even said that if I track down a Lady Gillette she'll give DE a try.

My girlfriend uses a Rooney 3/2 in best with e-shave creams. Once she tried the brush, she decided she could never go back to shaving without one.

Top Bottom