What's new

Wolfman razor experience

I am thinking of trying to get on the list for a wolfman razor. They look like they are a fantastic build quality. I am nervous though about the shave experience. I have been wet shaving for a few years now, but have only ever had 2 razors. I used a merkur 34c for a small period of time. After i gifted that away to a new wet shaving friend I bought a merkur 37c. I amay nervous about dropping that much money and not knowing if my face will react poorly. Can anyone who has one provide some feedback on it or give me suggestions on what exactly may be best for me to order? I'd really appreciate it!

only you can decide what is best for, I have many different razors, I do use a 34C for travel quite often and I would say the standard Wolfman .61 gap is smoother than a 34C but a closer shaver, I also have a .74 Wolfman, still smoother then most of my "mild" razors, it has become my daily driver but like all things they change I started shaving with a Fatboy on 3 now I use it on 7 or higher. My suggestion is to follow Wolfman on twitter you will then know when there is stock in the store and can get one. Start with the standard gap, if you decide you are looking for more email them and they can likely modify it to be more aggressive

only you can decide what is best for, I have many different razors, I do use a 34C for travel quite often and I would say the standard Wolfman .61 gap is smoother than a 34C but a closer shaver, I also have a .74 Wolfman, still smoother then most of my "mild" razors, it has become my daily driver but like all things they change I started shaving with a Fatboy on 3 now I use it on 7 or higher. My suggestion is to follow Wolfman on twitter you will then know when there is stock in the store and can get one. Start with the standard gap, if you decide you are looking for more email them and they can likely modify it to be more aggressive

I use my Fatboy/Slim on #6. What blade gap would you recommend for my future Wolfman (0.54 or 0.61)?

I have the minimum gap and the standard gap Wolfman Razors and they are both extremely efficient and smooth. The problem is going to be getting on "the list". There is no list and in order to acquire a WM razor you will need to sign up for his Twitter notifications and be extremely fast in adding to the cart and actually checking out with your items. If you are not in front of the computer when the notification hits you more than likely will not be making a purchase that day. Items sell out literally within a minute or two.

Also, all blade gaps and comb options as well as handles will be available when the notification hits. You place your order and James makes it so make sure you already know what you want when you log in.

Can someone compare the 0.54 vs 0.61 blade gap?

I've compared them side by side on the same shave and they aren't all that different. The .54 is a slight bit smoother but it's not a night and day difference. If I picked up the wrong one thinking it was the other I likely wouldn't know that I did so. Both will give you an excellent shave, so it's just a preference thing as to how aggressive of a razor you like.

Good luck getting either of them.

On the topic of Wolfman Razor gaps, is there a way to tell which gap is which by sight? They are not marked from what I can tell.

Not that I've found. You could use a feeler gauge if you had one and had no idea what the gap was.

I do have a couple Wolfman razors but if I ever got on the waiting list I'd choose a different material (antique bronze or probably copper) and the gap would definitely be etched into the base plate or plates.

I suspect that he leaves it off intentionally as some do send the plates back in to get altered. He can make a more aggressive plate milder for you.

I've compared them side by side on the same shave and they aren't all that different. The .54 is a slight bit smoother but it's not a night and day difference. If I picked up the wrong one thinking it was the other I likely wouldn't know that I did so. Both will give you an excellent shave, so it's just a preference thing as to how aggressive of a razor you like.

Good luck getting either of them.

I haven't had much luck yet. I even lost my spot on the wait list when the famous "lottery" took place. Still not sure if I should go with .54 or .61 blade gap.

I haven't had much luck yet. I even lost my spot on the wait list when the famous "lottery" took place. Still not sure if I should go with .54 or .61 blade gap.

You and me both. I had #6 on that lottery list before he called a redo. I was quite upset as I had everything prepared upfront. I was ready and refreshing it constantly. I hit join the very second it opened up and was thrilled to see that I had a spot. That was all thrown out the window as he called it a software glitch. I suspect the issue was just the sheer volume of people hitting it all at the same time. What can you do though.

I've got the 61 and it works well for me. I've been shaving with one thing or another since 1963, but didn't learn to shave correctly until 2007 when I discovered these shaving forums and began reading forums/watching vids. Say that to say, that whether it is a Feather AS-D2, or a Timeless with a 95mm gap, I can get a BBS shave.

If you can get a Wolfman do so. If you have a Gillette adjustable go to Above The Tie's website FAQ. He has a blade gap chart comparing most all of the usual suspects. I had the 68mm Timeless and was wanting to try the 95, so I shaved with a Fatboy @ 6 to approximate the gap. That way I knew it was doable for me.

Whether it is the Wolfman 61mm, or the whatever, it is a matter of technique to get a great shave ...... IMHO.

I asked James to make my dual-comb a little milder than a 34c on the open side and a little milder still on the straight bar side; no problem. It is a very smooth shave, and a top quality instrument.
It took me a year to get one, but I got in right before the new wait system was in place, thank goodness.
Ron

I asked James to make my dual-comb a little milder than a 34c on the open side and a little milder still on the straight bar side; no problem. It is a very smooth shave, and a top quality instrument.
It took me a year to get one, but I got in right before the new wait system was in place, thank goodness.
Ron

Do you know what the blade gaps are?

Do you know what the blade gaps are?
I'm sorry, I don't. I think I remember James saying that he pretty much uses the 34c, as a standard, and he would adjust from there. I think I remember him mentioning what the gaps were, but I didn't write them down.

Ron

I'm sorry, I don't. I think I remember James saying that he pretty much uses the 34c, as a standard, and he would adjust from there. I think I remember him mentioning what the gaps were, but I didn't write them down.

Ron

If the standard gap (0.61) is equal to a Merkur 34 C, then I do not need to consider a reduced gap. Thank you.

I just sent James an email for his blade gap recommendations. (He replied right away!) Based on my preference for the following razors:

Rockwell 6 S #4
Merkur 34 C HD
Edwin Jagger DE 89
Gillette Fatboy/Slim #6

He recommended the standard blade gap (0.61).

Top Bottom