What's new

Wolfman Owners Club

It’s hard to get your hands on a Wolfman.
If you‘re lucky enough to be the next on the waiting list, there’s a high probability to panic. What gap? WR1 or WR2? SB? OC? What handle? Impossible to try one before ordering. Impossible to return it if smth goes wrong. What do you do? Where to go? Who to ask?

Once you receive it, the world becomes a different place. You’re a Wolfman owner! And you want to share your joy, your experience, maybe your failure.

I’m very lucky to own 2.
I’m very lucky to have found the right answers. It wasn’t always easy.

So this is for the owners. This is for the future owners. This is for the curious.

This is the Wolfman Club. Welcome!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm interested in a wr2 gap that is less than .85. I have the 85, and wish it was just a bit more mild.

My name will come up on the waitlist soon. I was hoping to order one in the standard range and then trade that one with the person who had the lower gap.

I know 85 is already a low gap for the WR2. But here's hoping.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I'm about 10 months away. WR2, SB, 1.15 is what I'm leaning towards. But with no idea if that's right, how do I find out! I like milder, not Tech mild though. I want several degrees milder than an Old Type.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm about 10 months away. WR2, SB, 1.15 is what I'm leaning towards. But with no idea if that's right, how do I find out! I like milder, not Tech mild though. I want several degrees milder than an Old Type.
David, I think the 1.15 will check all of your boxes. I have the 1.25 and even at that gap the shave is very smooth.

You should probably be looking at the 1.05 or 0.95 (what James calls “Mild/Medium”), then.

Thank you gentlemen for your input.

No problem. To be sure, my 1.15 is a very smooth shaver. However, I would not classify it as a mild razor. It requires one’s full attention and must be handled with respect and proper technique.....in which case it delivers a very smooth and close shave. But, it’s not mild.

Last edited:
I’m very lucky to have found the right answers. It wasn’t always easy.

So this is for the owners. This is for the future owners. This is for the curious.

Dear Wolfmen

I'm in the future owners camp having signed up for the email list but am many months (moons) away from getting invoiced. So I've got plenty of time to decide but the options are numerous. I'm looking for a mild shave and put myself down for a WR1 .48. Just how mild is this plate, looking for opinions and advice. Should I bump it up to the .54 when the times comes?

Currently using a Tatara Masamune SB and a CG level 1 (first design).

Dear Wolfmen

I'm in the future owners camp having signed up for the email list but am many months (moons) away from getting invoiced. So I've got plenty of time to decide but the options are numerous. I'm looking for a mild shave and put myself down for a WR1 .48. Just how mild is this plate, looking for opinions and advice. Should I bump it up to the .54 when the times comes?

Currently using a Tatara Masamune SB and a CG level 1 (first design).

Hope the waiting won’t be too painful [emoji4] I’ve no experience with WR1. From what I heard, the WR1 has a bit more blade feel than WR2, don’t know if it applies though to lower gaps. Maybe consider as well gathering more info about WR2. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry to reply to my own post but I did find an old post on reddit with a few details from James

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 13.03.44.png

So possibly the actual numbers may have changed since then?

More data below

"So the standard design in inches is a .024" blade gap (.61mm) and a few customers have gotten a .005" increase to .029" (.74mm) and on this razor according to my personal blueprints for each .005" change in blade gap it will add or subtract .003" in blade exposure (that imaginary line tangent to the cap and guard). So you're getting .003 more blade exposure if you go with the same increase others have gotten. I use both versions and I have to be more careful with the aggressive version. I'm not saying it's all blade, but I treat it with extra respect. I did have a customer with a preference for the R41 etc, and he got the same mod and said it wasn't quite enough, so he's supposed to be sending it back for another adjustment."

I can't do the calculations - would need to convert to mm to make any sense of it - but sounds like neg exposure for the mildest plates

I know about the blade feel v the WR2 but hopefully won't be too much with a mild plate. Can anyone confirm the blade exposure of a WR1?
I have a .54 WR1 that is a wonderfully smooth shaver without very much Blade feel.

Continuing with that trend I sought after a mild gap in the WR2 and found one that was lower than the standard range, at .85 I believe. It is a good shaver but not as smooth as the WR1 that I mention above.

So, from my experience, the lower range on the WR1 is more comfortable and smooth than the lower range on the WR2.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Thanks @sugardaddy

This is really helpful, most of the posts/reviews are for the standard and higher gaps. I would probably stick with the WR1 for my first Wolfman anyway.

Next question: solid or hollow handle?

I’ll admit that I’m tempted. Just wondering if the mirror finish is worth the $200 premium. How is the finish on the basic polished model?

I’ve joined the waiting list for the WR2, OC, 1.05, basic polish, WRH2 hollow handle. Do you guys know when you need to pay? There was mention that they would send an invoice but surely you don’t need to pay a year in advance before they’ve started work on the razor. This looks like a very unique interlocking cap design. Does anyone know if the hollow handle has a hole in the bottom like the Merkur?

Last edited:
Top Bottom