What's new

Witch Hazel or Thayers or something else

I’m almost out of Witch Hazel which I don’t use often. I only use it after alum when my skin is irritated, burned, etc. I want to know what is so great about Thayers over witch Hazel. I can and have even done a little mix of pure aloe in the past.

I’m almost out of Witch Hazel which I don’t use often. I only use it after alum when my skin is irritated, burned, etc. I want to know what is so great about Thayers over witch Hazel. I can and have even done a little mix of pure aloe in the past.
It is a witch hazel that is somehow extracted without alcohol. It also doesn't have the characteristic witch hazel scent.

It feels good on the face.

Old timers here will remember a guy that used to come on here writing strongly worded posts about how it isn't real witch hazel because witch hazel has to be alcohol-extracted, or something. He seemed like he knew a bit about what he was talking about, but he also completely shut down anybody who disagreed with him. I can see his avatar in my mind but his name is eluding me. Maybe one of the other old timers will remember.

I don't use Thayers, but I have tried it a few times. It's nice. A lot more expensive than drugstore witch hazel. If you can afford it, pick a scent you like and give it a try.

The glycerin in Thayers leaves a tacky mess behind; I've never cottoned to it. Humphrey's WH works fine, as does the Dr. Saymans alcohol-free toner with witch hazel, rosewater, and rice protein. Got some Stirling unscented WH and aloe on the way to try out.

My Witch Hazel comes from the store brand shelf of either Kroger or Walmart. I pour that bottle into a Dickinson's bottle. For me, WH cleans soap residue off my face. Then the Omega Alum block tightens up the skin's pores.

I use Stirling Tea Tree witch Hazel and aloe before applying aftershave. It’s very effective at removing soap residue and preventing ingrowns. I’ve used Dickinson’s for the same purpose, but the tea tree oil Stirling is more effective.

If you like Witch Hazel you will love Speick. It's like Witch Hazel on steroids. I love the stuff. LoL

Quinns Witch Hazel is a premium alcohol free brand that is blended with aloe and a few other things. It works great for me and the scented versions are very light. Currently using the grapefruit and am very happy with it. Soothing and moisturizing without leaving a heavy layer.

I think most witch hazel comes from the same factories in New England, AFAIK. The alcohol content is not very high, around 14%.

Thayer's has their own process that doesn't use alcohol. That's why some people say the product is not real witch hazel. They seem to charge a premium price.

I'm fine with Dickinson's. The alcohol level is low, and I'm usually using it to take off any soap residue. I wipe off any excess. My skin is not dried out by it.

Dickinson's does have an alcohol free toner nowadays. It has rosewater and some skin conditioning ingredients added. A bit more expensive, but not that much more.

Thayers is good and smells better generally but drugstore witch hazel is fine too. Thayers used to make a couple toners with ten percent alcohol and those were nice, possibly more effective as an aftershave than the alcohol free stuff. Of the alcohol free stuff, my favorite is the rose one. BTW if you go to Thayers website they have a lot more products than you will see in most stores.

It is a witch hazel that is somehow extracted without alcohol. It also doesn't have the characteristic witch hazel scent.

It feels good on the face.

Old timers here will remember a guy that used to come on here writing strongly worded posts about how it isn't real witch hazel because witch hazel has to be alcohol-extracted, or something. He seemed like he knew a bit about what he was talking about, but he also completely shut down anybody who disagreed with him. I can see his avatar in my mind but his name is eluding me. Maybe one of the other old timers will remember.

I don't use Thayers, but I have tried it a few times. It's nice. A lot more expensive than drugstore witch hazel. If you can afford it, pick a scent you like and give it a try.

I remember that guy. Holy hell was he annoying.

What he was talking about is Witch Hazel USP - the standard set by the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention. That is a different product than Thayers, and AFAIK Thayers NEVER used the USP designation on their stuff.

Someone this guy though Thayers was out to scam people because their product was different.

Thayers witch hazel toner rose petal for me. Can't be without it, puts out any hot spots immediately. Great for a shiny polished dome as well.

@cvac

I think I have a bottle of that Thayer's alcohol somewhere. From what I remember, I didn't care for it, as it had too much bite/sting for my liking.

I believe it was this one:

"Witch hazel extract, aloe vera, purified water, natural grain alcohol (20%), natural witch hazel fragrance"

Great feedback, thank you guys.

I think I’ll go with drug store witch hazel then mix in a little aloe.

Top Bottom