What's new

Will be restoring a Gerstner tool chest - Needing advice please

I just picked this guy up on ebay. Most of these vintage chests have felt that's torn, stained, chunks missing, etc. This one is no exception and I'm looking to replace the green felt with a red felt. So my question is, what would be the best method of removing the old felt? My first thought was to wire brush the big stuff and hand sand whats left, but if there are any better or faster methods, I'm all ears.

Also, depending on the quality of the rest of the box, I may leave it or sand it down and restain it a darker color. I'd polish all the hardware too

proxy.php

you could try a paint/floor scraper along with a window scraper for the corners.

Being laid down on wood I would not think you could use any water or solvent to loosen the glue holding it down.

You "should not" need to get it squeaky clean, just the loose stuff off so you can glue new felt down onto something solid.

Assorted tool suggestions below

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yeah, I just want to get it smooth enough to lay the lay the new felt down. I obviously wont see any mistakes under the new stuff. I hope whatever adhesive holding the felt down has gotten weak and brittle over time. If this somehow peels of in large chunks, I'm going to be one happy camper.

I'm definitely going to get a new scraper though. Probably the bottom one pictured would be the easiest.

the tools in the pics are (top to bottom)

A push scraper

A pull scraper

A window scraper (uses a SE razor blade)

A putty knife

The top 3 have a sharp blade. The putty knife is dulled on the end

Here ya go!

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/videos.htm

I have a Gerstner box myself along with a Kennedy chest and cabinet.

wow! Haha I never imagined they'd actually have a video on that. Thanks for the link!

EDIT: That looks incredibly simple. They even said the felt they use is thicker than most and replacement felt can be found on their site. I wonder if they also have the water soluble glue as well.

EDIT EDIT: They do have the glue!

Last edited:
Nice looking chest. I've always wanted one, but never got around to it.

What will you be storing in the box once the project is done?

Nice looking chest. I've always wanted one, but never got around to it.

What will you be storing in the box once the project is done?

My straight razors, DE razors, DE blades, hones in the top compartment. Just all my shaving gear. Gerstner even has drawer dividers that I might use to give each straight its own little nook to rest it

My suggestion would be, depending on the finish of the chest, to use a combination of water/denatured alcohol to loosen in small patches, to then press and dry that spot with a towel, and then to use a heat gun lightly to pry away the material. Unfortunately, felt backing, especially if its old enough to use hide glue, will invariably bond with whatever penetrative treatment they used on the box. From the very small picture I can see, it looks like they may have used a bit of linseed oil to provide an initial coat and tack before applying whatever bond they used (and woe to you if they used actual linseed oil). Mechanical removal can work but you run the risk of pulling out soft grain loops which can damage the product. If you plan to go back over it with a filler and felt, then no big deal, but its not the avenue I'd go for.

strop

Now half as wise
The wood looks like it's in pretty good shape. Personally I would not sand it/restain it as you'll lose the patina and it will be difficult to reproduce. I'd clean it well with something like Murphy's Oil soap, then wax it with dark colored furniture wax, Renaissance wax (probably a better choice, though expensive). Hopefully the hardware comes off, which will make resoration of both it and wood a lot easier.

Nice score! Have you priced new ones? Make sure we get to see befor and after pics.

IMHO, if the box is decent, leave the finish the way it is. Clean it up, but leave the patina.

I really like the dark walnut and cherry Gerstner boxes. Mine is golden oak.

The wood looks like it's in pretty good shape. Personally I would not sand it/restain it as you'll lose the patina and it will be difficult to reproduce. I'd clean it well with something like Murphy's Oil soap, then wax it with dark colored furniture wax, Renaissance wax (probably a better choice, though expensive). Hopefully the hardware comes off, which will make resoration of both it and wood a lot easier.

Nice score! Have you priced new ones? Make sure we get to see befor and after pics.

a nice patina is definitely something I'm looking forward too. Pictures of all sides were not provided, but based on the ones there were, it looks to be in nice shape. Worse case is having to sand it down, but I absolutely need to get some new felt in there. Brand new from the factory, they START at $580 and others in nice shape on Ebay are anywhere from $300 to $2000 for the used/vintage ones. The Gerstner International ones are cheaper, but they are made internationally.

I got a few pages deep on Ebay and found this one for $349 BIT and free shipping. Personally, I thought it was a bargain.

IMHO, if the box is decent, leave the finish the way it is. Clean it up, but leave the patina.

I really like the dark walnut and cherry Gerstner boxes. Mine is golden oak.

I prefer the darker stains as well. Maybe the lighting in that pic makes the box look lighter, but it's right on that threshold were I can't be certain. But as strop posted, I'll clean it up with some Murphys and go over it with some dark furniture polish. Pics will be provided upon completion

I prefer the darker stains as well. Maybe the lighting in that pic makes the box look lighter, but it's right on that threshold were I can't be certain. But as strop posted, I'll clean it up with some Murphys and go over it with some dark furniture polish. Pics will be provided upon completion

That looks about the right color for an old box to me. They darken as they get older especially in a shop environment. I'd see if Gerstner has a cleaner though.... It's an oil finish.

When I started my Tool & Diemaker apprenticeship in 1972, I could have bought a new Gerstner box for $65. I went with a Kennedy instead because it was half the price.

That looks about the right color for an old box to me. They darken as they get older especially in a shop environment. I'd see if Gerstner has a cleaner though.... It's an oil finish.

When I started my Tool & Diemaker apprenticeship in 1972, I could have bought a new Gerstner box for $65. I went with a Kennedy instead because it was half the price.

They do have their brand of cleaner/polish. Not sure what the difference would be between that and something like Old English

They have a video that goes along with this as well
proxy.php

8 oz. bottle of Gerstner Finish Preserver formulated with fine oils which clean, polish and protect wood finishes while covering up minor scratches & abrasions. Conditions and restores the hand-rubbed finish on all Gerstner Chests.

Formulated especially for Gerstner, and ideal for restoring new life to older Gerstner Chests and other fine furniture. Monthly applications keep your Gerstner finish in ideal condition.

For the felt removal and reinstallation it may be worthwhile to consult with someone who sells and maintains billiard tables. It is possible they could provide some tips.

Cheers, Todd

Nice toolbox. I always wanted one but I settled for a Kennedy.

Aside from the felt, it looks like it would clean up with dish soap. If you could get your hands on some water soluable machining coolant, that would take any grime off from being on the shop floor.

Lets see some pics when your finish detailing it.

Top Bottom