What's new

Why do we call it "World Series"?

I'm a baseball fan so I'm not dissing MLB, but it seems arrogant to call someone a "World Champion" when they didn't compete against anyone more than 2000 miles from their hometown.

It's kind of like all of the USA "World championships"....

FWIW, I'd put up the Yankees against ANY team in the world and they'd clean their clocks. Same with Basketball, Football (US Football), etc.

You don't see people from the US moving to Puerto Rico to play baseball....they come from Puerto Rico to the USA. Same with the other sports too. If you can play in the states, you have really made it into the
big time."

It's even more ridiculous when the Super Bowl winner gets called "World Champions," considering that gridiron football is centered almost entirely in the U.S. and Canada.

MLB players come from all over the world. The sport is international and the world series pits the best players from all over the world against each other. Just because the teams are all based in the US and Canada doesn't mean it's not an international competition.

It was started over 100 years ago and was probably just a reflection of the times. There weren't any international teams to challenge so the winner was the best baseball team in the world.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't think it's either myopic or arrogant to suggest the the "world's champion" of basketball isn't the winner of the Olympics but of the NBA finals, just as the champs of football and baseball are the winners of the Super Bowl and World Series. I don't see anyone complaining about the World Cup, which was awarded long before anyone in America even knew it existed. :001_tongu

It is only a comment on the level of competition.

It's kind of like all of the USA "World championships"....

FWIW, I'd put up the Yankees against ANY team in the world and they'd clean their clocks. Same with Basketball, Football (US Football), etc.

You don't see people from the US moving to Puerto Rico to play baseball....they come from Puerto Rico to the USA. Same with the other sports too. If you can play in the states, you have really made it into the
big time."

I'm not sure how well the Yankees would fare in international basketball competition.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
yes, I've always wondered this question myself. You don't really see this phenomenon in any other part of the world.

I can't really imagine the winners of the Australia Football League grand final crowning themselves the "World Champion Australian Football Team".

But... whatever. At least baseball is a more interesting sport than cricket, which is played all over the world. That's what we get stuck with every summer. :bored:

You don't see people from the US moving to Puerto Rico to play baseball....they come from Puerto Rico to the USA.

I would guess that people come to the U.S. to play baseball because they can get a much bigger paycheck here. How many Puerto Rican teams can pay a pitcher $4,000,000 a year to pitch 6 innings once or twice a week?

In the most recent World Baseball Classic, Japan and Korea played in the finals, in Los Angeles. Given that Japan won the tournament 2 times in a row, I would consider them to be the "World Champions", not a privately-owned team from New York City.

~~this is not meant to be inflamatory at all.

We call it the World Series because that's what they call it on TV.

:smile:

I'm more interested in why they call it the Miss Universe contest . . . . .

I thought it was because the series was once sponsored by a newspaper called 'The World', and when the paper ceased to exist they just liked the name 'World Series' and kept it on. Or am I talking rubbish?

I would guess that people come to the U.S. to play baseball because they can get a much bigger paycheck here. How many Puerto Rican teams can pay a pitcher $4,000,000 a year to pitch 6 innings once or twice a week?

In the most recent World Baseball Classic, Japan and Korea played in the finals, in Los Angeles. Given that Japan won the tournament 2 times in a row, I would consider them to be the "World Champions", not a privately-owned team from New York City.

~~this is not meant to be inflamatory at all.

The thing is, many of the best players in the world don't compete in that tournament, simply because of their professional responsibilities (don't want to risk getting injured just before their season begins).

The Japanese baseball team is great, no question, but it is an all-star team, comprised of many players from the MLB. If you look at every roster in that tournament, they are filled with MLB players. It is the top professional baseball league, hands down.

Top Bottom