What's new

Who Would Not Lust For A Tool Case Like This?

You know gents, we all spend a good deal on our grooming habits here but a great many appreciate fine things in other areas as well. Like the tools of your trade. I saw this photo posted to a thread over at the garage forum. I have to admit it has made me VERY interested in these cases. I need something similar at work for precision pliers, drivers, and insulated tools. This would be sweet. Parat does not seem to have much of a presence in the States. I just thought you may enjoy this. I could not help myself when I saw all those Knipex pliers in there. Knipex is my first choice in pliers.

Cheers, Todd

proxy.php

Classic tool chests are starting to become popular again among the Neander tool users. Here's Chris Scwarz's Anarchist Toolchest....
proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a Veto tool bag. Very nice, but it weights 60 pounds when full so it never leaves the Truck!

Cases like that **** me off on the job....Nothing stays where it's supposed to, and it's super unwieldy. So far the best thing I've found for my line of work is a husky open top square bag. It came with 1 clear case, and is about the perfect thing for all my sparky tools. I've got 2 more bags for big tools, and a belt I grab that's got the basics. I rarely have to bring my main bag in ever since I started using the belt for my bread and butter tools.
Main bag is usually less than 50lbs
Tool belt, about 25 lbs
The other 2 bags, about 65+lbs

Good tools are heavy...

Hey Kent. What are the primary tool types you carry in the Veto? And which type of Veto do you own? I have seriously considered a Veto LC but I have a couple of nagging questions I cannot seem to get definitive answers to. First up is screwdriver lengths. I regularly use 3/16 and 1/4 inch cabinet tips along with a #2 Philips with eight inch shafts. Indespensible for work in deep boxes and control cabinets. Carrying them is another story. The Klein 5167 has two outer holders that work well. I am unsure if the Vetos will allow their storage and still have enough clearance to zip closed. And do you think a nine inch pair of linesman pliers would stay put as well? I am also concerned about the width of the pockets. Most photos of the Veto show multiple tools per pocket. Fine for the daily stuff but not good for the insulated stuff. Thoughts.

Cheers, Todd

Cases like that **** me off on the job....Nothing stays where it's supposed to, and it's super unwieldy. So far the best thing I've found for my line of work is a husky open top square bag. It came with 1 clear case, and is about the perfect thing for all my sparky tools. I've got 2 more bags for big tools, and a belt I grab that's got the basics. I rarely have to bring my main bag in ever since I started using the belt for my bread and butter tools.
Main bag is usually less than 50lbs
Tool belt, about 25 lbs
The other 2 bags, about 65+lbs

Good tools are heavy...

I'm the same way. Cases like the OP's look brilliant, but nothing ever stays where you put it. And where do the hammers go?! I've got the big Craftsman toolbox with tray for my mainstay stuff, including 26 ounce framer's hammer and 3-pound sledge. That toolbox weighs around 60-65 pounds when full. I keep my screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, and set-tools in Klein tool envelopes in it; that is my concession to organization so my toolbox doesn't look like a jumble-sale.

My bread-and-butter tools I keep in a large tool pouch that I can grab for something small.

Gents, remember a case like this would be for specialty tools like the insulated ones mentioned. A hammer? Sure, I use one but it will never knock around in a bag or case with my insulated or precision tools. The every day carry stuff is in the Klein 5167. Hammers, bits, extra kit is kept in a tool bag similar to a Gatemouth. I have thought about a tool roll for the task since it would serve the function of keeping the tools from banging against each other and would be much more economical but when did economy ever stand a chance around here? I will say those hard shell cases are a frightful price.

Cheers, Todd

Point made.
I usually keep everything that falls into the precise catagory either in the specialty case it came with or in something along the lines of a padded customizable pelican case.
Hammers are evil, and should stay in the truck unless it's before the sheetrock is up. :)
Gents, remember a case like this would be for specialty tools like the insulated ones mentioned. A hammer? Sure, I use one but it will never knock around in a bag or case with my insulated or precision tools. The every day carry stuff is in the Klein 5167. Hammers, bits, extra kit is kept in a tool bag similar to a Gatemouth. I have thought about a tool roll for the task since it would serve the function of keeping the tools from banging against each other and would be much more economical but when did economy ever stand a chance around here? I will say those hard shell cases are a frightful price.

Cheers, Todd

Well gents, not only do I like the hard shell cases for task specific purposes, I am not immune to the lure of traditional looking leather tool cases as well. Lately I have been looking at what are referenced as 'universal' cases. At least that seems to be the description I see associated with the style. I am unsure about the leather type or quality. I quite like the look. They seem to be a European thing these days. I see nothing like them here in the States. They have a nice retro vibe and I am even considering attempting to make one myself. If you look at the construction it is very straightforward.

I have a fantastic local cobbler with an extensive knowledge of leather and its crafting. I am thinking of a small version for precision pliers and drivers. Well, this is my daydream anyway. Like the hard shell cases these can carry some heavy premiums. From about $150-350. This is not exactly bargain basement product. So here are a few to whet your appetites. The Knipex is a favourite. The others I added for comparison. They each have a few models.

Cheers, Todd

Knipex Tool Bags and Tool Cases

No. 00 21 02 LE I really like this bag. Great size and my current favourite to look at. I wish I could handle one to see what its construction is like.

proxy.php

Parat Tool Cases and Bags

No. 16.100-571 This is one of their Top Line cases. I like how these cases have the foldaway openings on them. Makes getting to the tools quite easy.

proxy.php

B&W International Tool Bags

Article No. 202.02

proxy.php

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have the XL.

I have a lot of stuff in there. I'll do some measuring for you and check. I can fit several vise grips in one lower pockets, or 2 linesman pliers so just using it for one would be a bit roomy. I have a plumbers' sink clip tool which is at least 12" I think, and it's too long to fit in any pocket.

I would say if you are looking for a bag that holds individual tools tightly, is not for you. For finishing I tend to grab what I need and throw it in a bag.

Thanks Kent. Great information. I do not mind paying for quality but it needs to fit the usage.

Cheers, Todd

Hey chaps, here is great video at YouTube that goes to the very issues I have with most tool bags. This is a video about modding a Veto Pro Pac XL to make the pockets more manageable for...long screwdrivers and nut drivers! Now I am more interested in the Veto LC and it may not be as tall as needs be. Again, Kent hit on something. These are great bags but not task specific. Electricians use a lot of long handled and skinny handled tools and their orginisation can be frustrating. The first five or six minutes of the video is the crux of it. The video is very long at nearly 25 minutes so watch at your own leisure or risk as it may be. I do note the XL bag's back pockets are deep enough to hold the six in shaft Klein nut drivers. Even with the mods you see the eight inch long screw sticks well above the pocket area. I would love to see a bag that had deep pockets purposely made to hold long drivers like this up to around where the grip starts. This would allow six and eight inch drivers to be held neat and orderly. Follow up with the pliers pockets in front of that at around six inches deep which would hold 2/3 to 3/4 of the handle length of nine inch linesman's and eight inch diagonal cutters. Same for other similarly shaped pliers. Then shorter(and narrower) pockets in front of that for the typical three inch shaft nut drivers and common four inch shaft length straight and Philips screwdrivers. Some very narrow pockets at the front of those for precision drivers and drill bits would be icing on the cake.

I see the Vetos much like the square tool tote things you see at all the big box stores. They hold a tonne of tools, get HEAVY really fast and are great if you take them in and work at one or two limited spots on the job. If you are moving around a lot you will need an ancillary tool pouch like the Klein 5167 or similar to carry the typical set of tools for my trade. As it stands I cannot justify the Veto just yet. Who knows? Maybe they will do a smaller, narrower(but slightly taller) electrician's bag with the features I need.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom