What's new

Which Razors Do You Hate?!

I say it this way ... there are razors that I really wanted to like; they're beautiful and and praised by many, but didn't work for me.

1932 Gillette Goodwill ... I found too aggressive for me.
1937 Gillette Sheraton ... Pretty, but I get a better shave from my Super Speed.
Fatip Grande ... I found too aggressive for me.
1968 Gillette Slim ... Just got a better shave with my 1958 Fat Boy.
Schick Type G ... The jury is still out.

My three favorites are;
1932 Canadian fat handle Tech
Super Speed Flare
1958 Fat Boy

That's just MHO

Yes, I appreciate your observation. I'm still on the fence about my Gillette Slim, though others love it. I can get a solid shave from it, but never really close. It's not especially efficient or comfortable at the higher settings.

I find that one must also link aggression to efficiency in any razor.. For example the Ikon Tech is aggressive yet not really efficient. Just scary and uncomfortable to use, and I've used it many times.

However, some razors seem to become easier to use over time. For example the Futur, and my Gillette New Type circa 1930, and my new love the RR Wunderbar slant have all got easier to use with practice. I even find I can get a better shave with milder razors now that using the aggressive ones has improved my technique.

Some razors are just great immediately, for example, the RR German 37. Smooth, comfortable, efficient and cheap1

However, some razors are just rotten whatever you do. For example people rave about the Lutz slant, yet I've never got a decent shave from mine, and I've tried it with may blades. Add it to the hate list!!

Here's another Razor Horribilis. The Pearl SBF-15 TTO.
Aww. I used this razor exclusively in 2016 in its Cadet TTO-15 guise. Very comfortable and grippy handle. In my experience it loves Polsilvers.

Wouldn't say I hate it, but something about the geometry of the Razorock SLAB didn't agree with the geometry of my face; every single time I'd use it I'd get a weeper on my cheek. I eventually figured out that when I was shaving my upper lip the opposite end of the blade would catch my cheek and boom, weeper.

The usefulness of this thread is it gets people talking unabashed, about their actual experiences. I find it revealing that a lot of sacred cows like the Gillette Fatboy, are not that well liked. Personally, I find my Slim only in the middle of the pack. As to the Futur, I really didn't like this razor the first two times I used it. The very positive reviews on Amazon made me try it again, and now I like it a lot. Funny how this can happen. I got used to the fact that it's aggressive, but it does produce some good shaves if used attentively.

Great point. Now I am reading this thread for what doesn't appear often or at all. I don't see many mentions of Aristocrats, for example.

Great point. Now I am reading this thread for what doesn't appear often or at all. I don't see many mentions of Aristocrats, for example.
I hate Aristocrats! No just joking! Unless possible French...late 18th century...anyway...enough of that. I wonder how many own one. Rather rare aren't they? But you're correct; it's the razors that nobody mentions is in itself revealing.
There are some very solid performers out there. Probably any more extreme design is likely to get more polarized reactions. I do think thought that some razors are now over priced, and overrated. For example the EJ line.

However, some are not well enough known and are great performers for many people for example, the RR Slab, the PAA Prismatic, the Maggard slant (and other Maggard razors), the RR German 37, and the Merkur Bakelite 45.

Keep talking people! I love to hear those unabashed bashings and lovings!

I have two Gillette Red Tips. Their one of the razors I use for blade comparison tests. The Red Tips usually described as the most "aggressive" of the flare tips. Is that not so? I acquired one, because the user found it too aggressive. I find it only mildly aggressive, but it can bite.
Is "feeling the blade" important to you? Some people like that, others feel that the razors should do its work efficiently with no feel. For example the Ikon X3. Others like the Muhle R41 and even the PAA Bakelite slant have a lot more blade feel. Can you share why feeling the blade is important for you? I'm curious about others' experience. Thanks!

It is not just the point of feeling the blade, i find the RED TIP less effective\efficiency for my heavy coarse beard and i feel that I have to go through on the same area several times..
With edwin jagger or merkur slant to example I do not need to go through multiple times on the same area.

I hate any razor with a feather blade in it because that blade simply does not work for me. I'm tempted to buy the AS-D2 just to see if I can use up the 50 pack I have.

Hate is a pretty strong word. So far I either dislike or am disappointed with the following:

RazoRock DE1. It was only $7 and I bought it to be an inexpensive razor that wouldn't matter much if it got lost, stolen or damaged when traveling. So, since I didn't expect much, I'm almost embarrassed to say I am disappointed in this razor. For me, it is far too mild and not at all efficient (I actually like some mild but efficient razors like the Gillette Tech). When using it, I find myself using pressure and too many passes to try to get an acceptable shave and thus I end up with irritation. If I shave with it normally, I get a pretty weak shave. It would be OK for a beginner who isn't sure if he or she will like it and doesn't want to put up too much money to start (just in case), but realizes that it won't take long until it is time to upgrade to something better. Personally, I don't like this one.

Parker 26C. I have only used it twice, I'm not sure I really want to use it again. I like some aggressive razors (I love my Schone) and I like my other open combs (I love both my RazoRock OLD Type OC, and my Schone) but this just doesn't work for me. I read and saw on YouTube videos that many people find that the angle is somewhat different than many other DE razors, and it is quite finicky about the angle. That may be it, but when I use this razor I get cuts and the most irritation of any other razor I've used (other than my first week or two DE shaving). I will try it all of next week (if I don't give up on it) to see if I like it better once I'm more used to it. As of now, hate is close to the right word for this razor.

Parker 76r. This TTO is the same as the Parker 99. According to many users it is on the aggressive side, and I am one who finds it aggressive. I actually like this razor and for my first month shaving, I actually liked it better than my EJ (I now love my EJ and only like this Parker). However, I find it disappointing in two ways. Before I got the Parker 26 this was my razor that was most likely to cause nicks and some irritation. The head is pretty big and it is the toughest of my razors to get a good shave under my nose. I like it but find it somewhat disappointing, and of the razors in my regular rotation, this one gets the least use.

It is not just the point of feeling the blade, i find the RED TIP less effective\efficiency for my heavy coarse beard and i feel that I have to go through on the same area several times..
With edwin jagger or merkur slant to example I do not need to go through multiple times on the same area.
Yes. I see. Incidentally, I find the RR German 37 way more efficient and pleasant to use than the Merkur 37C. It's only $20. Worth a shot!

Hate is a pretty strong word. So far I either dislike or am disappointed with the following:

RazoRock DE1. It was only $7 and I bought it to be an inexpensive razor that wouldn't matter much if it got lost, stolen or damaged when traveling. So, since I didn't expect much, I'm almost embarrassed to say I am disappointed in this razor. For me, it is far too mild and not at all efficient (I actually like some mild but efficient razors like the Gillette Tech). When using it, I find myself using pressure and too many passes to try to get an acceptable shave and thus I end up with irritation. If I shave with it normally, I get a pretty weak shave. It would be OK for a beginner who isn't sure if he or she will like it and doesn't want to put up too much money to start (just in case), but realizes that it won't take long until it is time to upgrade to something better. Personally, I don't like this one.

Parker 26C. I have only used it twice, I'm not sure I really want to use it again. I like some aggressive razors (I love my Schone) and I like my other open combs (I love both my RazoRock OLD Type OC, and my Schone) but this just doesn't work for me. I read and saw on YouTube videos that many people find that the angle is somewhat different than many other DE razors, and it is quite finicky about the angle. That may be it, but when I use this razor I get cuts and the most irritation of any other razor I've used (other than my first week or two DE shaving). I will try it all of next week (if I don't give up on it) to see if I like it better once I'm more used to it. As of now, hate is close to the right word for this razor.

Parker 76r. This TTO is the same as the Parker 99. According to many users it is on the aggressive side, and I am one who finds it aggressive. I actually like this razor and for my first month shaving, I actually liked it better than my EJ (I now love my EJ and only like this Parker). However, I find it disappointing in two ways. Before I got the Parker 26 this was my razor that was most likely to cause nicks and some irritation. The head is pretty big and it is the toughest of my razors to get a good shave under my nose. I like it but find it somewhat disappointing, and of the razors in my regular rotation, this one gets the least use.
Thanks for these observations. My experiences with these razors are similar, and I expect there are many others with similar experiences, which is one reason I started this thread.

Specifically, I've railed against the RR DE1. I think you're too kind about it. It's absolutely horrible. A great way to put a newbie off DE shaving for ever. It's mild and very inefficient. I never recommend it, and it does Joe's line no credit whatsoever.

I started with a Parker 26C an age ago, upon recommendation, and again it's not a good razor. Blade fussy, finicky and very hard to get a close irritation-free smooth shave with it. When there are so many other good choices why bother with this indifferently engineered beast. Want mild? Try the PAA DOC. A good open comb, smooth and efficient? The Schone Italian is both and a bargain price to boot, and it looks nicer than the Parker. Can people pleas stop recommending the Parker 26C to newbies? It's a rotten choice. A great beginner's slant? The RR German 37 at $20 is a bargain and really nice to use.

I've already stated my dislike for the Parker 66R (I think that's the TTO, but whatever number it now has..yuk)

Even worse is the Pearl long handled TTO: Aggressive, harsh, inefficient and all around nasty. No I'm not talking about my mother-in-law. The head geometry makes it almost impossible to use between lip and nose effectively and around the neck and jawline it's a disaster creating irritation and likely to nick if you're trying to get a remotely close shave. Avoid as you would a rabid dog.

I believe getting the right blade and razor combo is huge.
Maggard mr 9 which is a big heavy beast is best with an Astra SP.
Muhle R89 is fantastic with a dorco prime which is extremely sharp so works well
My Maggard mr14 just gave the best shave ever with a dorco 300.
Whenever I mess with other blades in these razors I wind up disliking them greatly.

I believe getting the right blade and razor combo is huge.
Maggard mr 9 which is a big heavy beast is best with an Astra SP.
Muhle R89 is fantastic with a dorco prime which is extremely sharp so works well
My Maggard mr14 just gave the best shave ever with a dorco 300.
Whenever I mess with other blades in these razors I wind up disliking them greatly.
Yes and no. Some razors are blade fussy, others very much less so. for example, I've done a number of blade comparisons with the PAA Bakelite slant. I , and others report that it's a little blade fussy, but works very well with the Astra SP.
By contrast, some of my razors are not fussy at all. I've loaded my RR German 37 with Personna Lab Blue, Astra SP, Polsilver Super Irididium, Silver Star, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapria Sweish Super Steel, SuperMax Super Platinum, and have gotten close comfortable shaves with each blade. My Wunderbar slant seems to make any blade look good! My Futur likes the Rapira Platinum Lux, and the Croma, but the latter for one shave only! In other razors I've gotten six good shaves from a middle of the road blade like the Croma. Very odd.
Certainly some razors like some blades better than others, and some blades seem more versatile. For example, the Rapira Platinum Lux works in just about every razor I own, as does the Polsilver Super Iridium. However the PAA Bakelite Slant doesn't pair well with the Polsilver SI. So don't go thinking that blades and razors are always a monogamous marriage. Some razors can happily play the field of blades without losing their honesty! Experiment! Have fun!

Aww. I used this razor exclusively in 2016 in its Cadet TTO-15 guise. Very comfortable and grippy handle. In my experience it loves Polsilvers.

Wouldn't say I hate it, but something about the geometry of the Razorock SLAB didn't agree with the geometry of my face; every single time I'd use it I'd get a weeper on my cheek. I eventually figured out that when I was shaving my upper lip the opposite end of the blade would catch my cheek and boom, weeper.
Yes, don't you hate it when a razor tries to re-arrange your features!

I hate (hate is too harsh, so dislike) my 1960 Flare Tip Super Speed. I like the look of it, weight is a bit light but haven't had a good shave with it in probably 5-10 tries. I haven't shaved yet tonight, so I think I will be trying the SS.

I like the look of late 40s Aristocrats, but I am worried it may be too similar to the Flare Tip and may be disappointed with the shave.

Injectors. The Schick L was too mild and the I type worked only if I was really careful, but didn't shave any better than my Superspeed.

I hate the Hone 15. It is an awesome looking razor and felt great in the hand but boy does it suck at shaving. It could not cut down stubble. Upon discovery, the blade has negative exposure!
Very disappointing because I really wanted to use this razor as a daily shaver.
You broke my heart Hone 15!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I hate the Hone 15. It is an awesome looking razor and felt great in the hand but boy does it suck at shaving. It could not cut down stubble. Upon discovery, the blade has negative exposure!

Don't know that one. I'll have to check out that heartbreaker!

Checked it out. Wow that's a costly heart breaker. Sorry man!

Checked it out. Wow that's a costly heart breaker. Sorry man!
I appreciate the sentiment[emoji5]️. But thankfully I didn't get stuck with the razor. The owner of Hone allowed me to return it. If he ever revises the razor, I will buy one.

Top Bottom