What's new

Which one of YOUR SRs do you think is the best shaver?

I've got probably 30-40 straights that will be me an effortless BBS shave every time.

Buddel, Zowada, Williams, Livi, Lewis, Harner, Jacques, Filarmonica, Le Grelot, Kron Punkt, ERN Ator, Berischer Lowe, Klas Tornblum, Henckels, Puma, Wusthoff, Jos Mappin, Juan Vollmer, St Ettine, Wostenholm, Boker, Seiki, Gold Rex, Cattaraugus, Beau Brummel, Wade & Butcher, Dubl Duck, Greaves, Revisor, Joh Engstrom, John Barber, Le Jaguar, FW Engels, Joseph Rogers, etc, etc, etc.

I have Red Imps, Torrey, Union Cutlery Spikes, Hart Steel, Wostenholm, Wade and Butcher, Bokers, Henckels, D. O. & H., dubl ducks, Dovo, Thiers Issards, Le Grelots, Heljestrands, and Strega. All of them give great shaves.

That said, I have a razor that is currently my favorite because it seems to feel so natural in my hand and on my face: a 6/8 Thiers-Issard Le Grelot. If most of my razors are A or A+, the TI LG is an A+++.
:thumbup:

I have to go with all also. If they don't shave well they're not worth keeping. I have yet to have a razor that wouldn't take a great edge, some easier than others.

Lynn is currently honing for me a W&B wedge and Boker that I got off ebay. I'm looking forward to see how these two will shave compared to my smaller ERN and no name spike.

I know a wedge versus a full hollow makes a difference in honing, but is there a big difference in shaving?

a great edge makes brand and maker irrelevant IMO.. how you like the whole straight while it's in your hands, like heft & balance, and even looks is another

Most likely just the flavor of the month, but my puma no. 9 is the favorite right now. Like others have said, I haven't kept any razors that I didn't feel I could get good shaves out of, it comes down to how much I like the razors qualities rather than it's ability to shave, cause they all do that if honed properly. That puma just feels so natural in my hand when I'm shaving and and also when I'm stropping

My Dubl Duck Goldedge.

It gives me a smooth shave every time.

It is extra hollow ground, but so much metal had to be removed from the blade because of pitting, I guess you could call it extra extra hollow ground.

Maybe that's why it is such a smooth shaver. I dunno, maybe I just like the way it looks.

Would have to be one of my Wade & Butchers. I have about ten of them and like them all. Really like The Clean Shaver wedge. But have a bigger 1/4 hollow that shaves awfully well. But all thing considered, I would have to pick the Celebrated Razor that is a VR. Something about shaving with a 150 + year old razor, and it is pristine. Love the Sheffields.

I know a wedge versus a full hollow makes a difference in honing, but is there a big difference in shaving?

This is a question that could get you some less subjective answers... or not :001_smile
There can be a big difference but it can also just come down to preference or skill level. It's often said a heavier grind is easier for beginners but ironically one of the most recommended razors for beginners (Dovo ) is not a wedge. If you have a wedge & a hollow both equally sharp & smooth then what makes one the best ?
Maybe something like the feel in the hand, the length or shape of the blade, manoeuverability,edge durability etc,etc.

I love my Dubl Duck that I got from the antique store close to here. Literally all it needed was a disinfecting bath and a good stropping. It is easily my best shaver.

I love all my razors, but some give me more harsh shaves than others. But picking one every morning is always a nice little routine.

Cheers,
Sean

One thing I found interesting is that even though I know what my best shaver is and I do enjoy shaving with it I have noticed from early on that it is my least used razor. So the best shaving razor isn't the most used used razor like you think it would be.

I love my Dubl Duck...from the antique store ..Literally all it needed was... a good stropping. It is easily my best shaver....I love all my razors, but some give me more harsh shaves than others.

really, all it needed was stropping? interesting, did you verify the edge in some way prior to stropping or shaving?

I have a W.H. Morley & Sons 5/8 full hollow ground razor with a barber's notch that I picked up because I heard they made "good" razors. Though YMMV, I absolutely love it. The shave is effortless, smooth, and it stays very sharp for a long time. I'm hunting for more Morleys to see how they compare.

As several others have said, all of them. Some may feel better to handle but the end result of the shave is the same.

Top Bottom