What's new

Which blade should I try next (given what I have liked so far)

So, I have a difficult combination of a thick, heavy beard growth, and sensitive skin. Now that I'm shaving again, I shave everyday (sometimes I may even need a 1 pass touch up for a 2nd shave later, at least if I did a 2 pass and not a 3 pass shave initially). So far, I have not liked Derby. I like Shark SC and Astra SP a lot, and I love Personna Red. I have not tried any of the other blades I have yet (I have nearly a dozen waiting for me to try).

Given my like of the Astra, I have bought a 5 blade tuck of each of the other Gillette blades made in the St. Petersburg factory and some of their Indian blades. From what I've been reading I think Nacet blades will definitely be up my ally, and I'm looking forward to the smooth but sharp Gillette Super Stainless (Russian green) and Gillette Sharp Edge (Russian yellow). I have also bought a tuck of Shark SS since I like the SC and the SS is even less money. I've been thinking about made in the USA Personnas and maybe starting with a 100 pack (since they aren't much over $10 so it isn't much more than a 5 blade tuck), but I'm not sure about buying 100 of something I haven't tried.

Given what I seem to like so far in blades (smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness), what suggestions for next blades would you all have?

Last edited:
You've got some good one's lined up. When I tried the 7O'clock Super Stainless I knew it was a keeper and it performs particularly well for me in Gillette 3 piece razors, especially the thick cap Old. The first week I tried them I ended up buying several hundred.

Gillette Silver Blue is another top performer in any razor I've used it in and is one of those go-to, predictable performers.

Not had much luck warming up to the US made Personna's. Not that I can't get a decent shave with one but it's a case of when I try something like the 7OC green it's just so outstanding I don't want to use anything else. Tryablade.com is a good place to look for one or two blade sample purchases if you don't want to spend a lot trying different blades. Happy shaving :)

Consider an ASCO blade, made by Lord. Very smooth with good sharpness. I thought they were actually quite similiar to the Personna Reds in feel and effectiveness. Cool graphics on the tuck showing Egypt's famed three pyramids at Giza. That alone should make it worth a purchase.

IMHO - the best blades in my rotation are......

Bic Chrome Platinum from Greece
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) from India
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) from Russia
Personna Platinum Chrome from Israel
Racer Super Class Platinum from Egypt
Silver Star Super Stainless from Egypt
Wilkinson Sword from Germany
Zaza Supreme Stainless from Turkey

I can get 4 good shaves per blade on a consistent basis

OK, I tried a new one today. I used my EJ DE86 with a Gillette Platinum. It was a nice comfortable shave, and gave me a close shave with 2 passes and some ATG touch up in a couple spots. I think it may have done a more comfortable and closer job than the Astra SPs (1st time using the Platinum so it is hard to say), but I don't like it any better than the Personna Reds. We'll have to see how it goes on subsequent shaves and in other razors. Between the Astra SP and Platinum, so far I think I like the Platinum better, but not enough to definitively choose it over the Astra (I think I may keep one or the other on hand, unless one of the other brands I'm trying is night and day better, but I think I'll make the choice based on which is cheaper for a 100 pack).

The blades I've bought that I'm most excited to try are the Gillette 7 O'clock black, (Russian) yellow and (Russian) green, and the Nacets since from what I read about them, I think they are closest to what I'm looking for (I wasn't sure if I'd like the Platinum or the GSB that much, but was interested enough to try them). I'm also looking forward to trying the Shark SS since if I like them as much as the Shark SC they may make a great budget blade to keep on hand (though at $10/100 the Astra SPs really are a budget blade too).

I just received my first 100 lot of Voskhod and man are they a sharp smooth blade. Highly recommend!!
That is one of the tucks I have bought to try. Though, from what I have read, it sounds like their characteristics are very close to the Astra SPs and Shark SC - moderately sharp, very smooth - and I don't want all my blades to have the same performance attributes. When I try the Voskhod I suspect it will be a decision between whether I like them or the Astras better (especially since they are so close in price).

Jeff,

In my view the Astra SP is slightly sharper than the Voskhod Teflon. The Voskhod Teflon is smoother than the Astra SP. Razor used was Muhle R89.

I like to have blades that are medium sharp and very smooth. Because of the ATT Kronos M1 I have gravitated to the wicked sharp.

I would use what works best for you and your equipment.

What you have outlined is a good place to start.

I think you are on point with your choices so far. I can't speak to the Gillette Platinum, as I haven't tried them, but all the other Russian blades you mention and the Indian 7 O'clock blacks are great. Two others you may want to try are Perma-Sharp Super (made in Russia) and Polsilver Super Iridium. Enjoy the journey.

I think you are on point with your choices so far. I can't speak to the Gillette Platinum, as I haven't tried them, but all the other Russian blades you mention and the Indian 7 O'clock blacks are great. Two others you may want to try are Perma-Sharp Super (made in Russia) and Polsilver Super Iridium. Enjoy the journey.
I forgot to mention that I have a tuck of the Polsilver SI to try as well. I'm looking forward to those. I almost forgot about them. They may need to be the next I try, and if I like them I may need to order 100-200 right away (I have heard that they may have been discontinued).

how many razors do you have? example mild vs. aggressive .. point being a blade can suck in razor and be awesome in another, I have MERKUR 34C for mild and MUHLE R41 and PARKER 65R for aggressive.

... and I love Personna Red. ...
So stick with them for a couple of months while you're dialling everything else in. Once you're completely at ease with all your razors, soaps, and brushes THEN start trialling blades again. And bear in mind that as your technique improves... blades will feel different.

Just sayin'.

how many razors do you have? example mild vs. aggressive .. point being a blade can suck in razor and be awesome in another, I have MERKUR 34C for mild and MUHLE R41 and PARKER 65R for aggressive.

Everything I have is pretty mild right now (mild to the mild side of medium), though a couple are comparatively more aggressive than the others. I have a RazoRock DE1 (very mild), Edwin Jagger de86 (on the mild side of mild to medium), a Merkur 38C I haven't used yet (I understand they are mild to medium), a Maggard MR3 with a v3 head (similar to the Merkur 34/38 head), RazoRock OLD Type OC (a mild to medium open comb) and a Parker 76r (probably on the medium side of mild to medium and probably my most aggressive razor). I've used Astra SP blades in all (except the Merkur which I haven't used at all yet), Personna Red and Shark SC in most of them. I've only used Derby in the Parker and EJ because I stopped using them pretty early (I really don't like them at all) and I've only used the Gillette Platinum once so it has only been used in the EJ so far. My plan is, for the first use of a blade, to use it in either the EJ or the Parker since I've had them longer and know them better than my other razors, then cycle them through the others (though the DE1 was meant as a travel razor so it won't get a lot of everyday use).

So stick with them for a couple of months while you're dialling everything else in. Once you're completely at ease with all your razors, soaps, and brushes THEN start trialling blades again. And bear in mind that as your technique improves... blades will feel different.

Just sayin'.

I love the Personnas, but the Astra SP is cheaper so I actually use that more. Right now I'm trying to get a feel for what blades I like best now and the one or two brands I plan to buy 100 of now (and 3 or 4 others I'll buy a few tucks of for variety). I will probably revisit this to see how my favorites develop every 6-12 months for the next several years. Actually, I think I answered my question from another thread I posted...Assuming more than one or two of my favorites change with experience, I can see how someone can easily end up with quite a few 100-200 packs of blades. :)

First, as OP have pointed out you have some excellent blades on deck.

I also like Astra SPs. In addition, I really like GSB and Nacets. In 'non-Russian' blades, I suggest you try Personna labs, Personna med preps and the German Wilkinson swords. :thumbup:

First, as OP have pointed out you have some excellent blades on deck.

I also like Astra SPs. In addition, I really like GSB and Nacets. In 'non-Russian' blades, I suggest you try Personna labs, Personna med preps and the German Wilkinson swords. :thumbup:

I am going to try some USA made Personna soon. On another thread they were discussed a bit, and a forum member contacted me and offered to send me some Personna Labs. Once they come I will try them right away to see what I think. I'm really looking forward to it.

I thought about getting a tuck of the German Wilkinson Swords for this go around, but figured I needed an arbitrary limit set somewhere or I'd never stop sampling and never decide what I want to buy. Once I've narrowed down this group and bought a 100 pack or two, I will probably try the German Wilkinson Swords next go around.

I recommend Voskhod, and Rapira Chrome. Both are excellent smooth shaves, and they have the sharpness to make any beard type smooth. Great prices on them as well. You really can't go wrong.

I have a similar hair growth and skin sensitivity. Feathers did not agree with my skin. I found that Polsilver Super Iridium blades were almost as sharp, but much kinder to the face.

Perma-Sharp Super and Treet Platinums. I also like the Astra SP, and Personna Red, and have no issues with the Gillette Platinums. But the Perma-Sharp Supers are probably my top blade.

Top Bottom