What's new

When you fly and do not check luggage, what's your razor?

I take a Gillette SuperSpeed in my pocket with no blades. When I get to TSA the razor is open exposing no blade and I put it in the little tray with my wristwatch and keys. The agents seem to appreciate me doing this. Boar Brush and Palmolive Soap stick or an old Arko that lost its scent.
The Super Speed is a great way to go: solid, plain looking and easily replaceable. And it gives quick, smooth shaves, which is handy on the road. Mailing blades is so easy and cheap--you can put a few in an envelope with a single stamp.
And also good idea on using the Arko stick that lost its scent; once you get through security you can find what you need to recharge the scent in the airport bathroom!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Gillette Guard preferably or any cartridge bladed razor. I’m not mailing DE blades or looking for it at the b&m stores. Hardly anyone carries it anymore.
I have found it easy to find blades at my destination. However, it is too much of a hassle most of the time. I often don’t have a car, or the time to hunt them down. I carry a Guard or a Trac II when I carry on luggage. Sometimes I will also have a disassembled 3 piece razor, like a tech in my Dopp kit with no blades. Then if I happen upon some blades in the wild, I can grab them if I want.

Has anyone had trouble finding DE blades in a store upon arrival? Most of the pharmacies around where I live carry King C Gillette blades. Is that pretty widespread in the US at this point?

I agree that I wouldn't risk it either. I don't want to get arrested, have a nice razor confiscated, or be "that guy" in the TSA line. Just curious what other members do. I like the idea of sending a few blades ahead.
I can also recommend finding an affordable razor which is replaceable and not to picky which blade it uses.
I have a spare of my 10 usd adjustable snmirn just for holidays just because I can shave with allmost any blade I put in that sucker. And it is a mild easy shaver. Only issue it is heavy zamak so do not drop it. Oh and it looks like an expensive razor so I have to make it look like crap for holiday.

Used my plastic oneblade core prior. But if they nick your blades (happened once) it is allmost impossible to find these locally in Asia.
Also thought of my occam Oren but getting guarded ac blades could be a challenge.
But both are I idiot safe shavers….

I have a Braun PocketGo battery travel shaver for this scenario. I just pack a disposable or cheap cartridge razor if I'm being particularly weight conscious, such as when I expect to be walking miles with all my luggage on my back. As much as I enjoy DE shaving, I can easily manage a few days without a BBS.

Either a disposable whatever or Gillette fusion 5. I also take a travel can of Barbasol as that seems to be the most compact.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As I understand it, you cannot fly with DE blades unless you check your luggage. With the world slowly opening up, my family will be flying later this year but we do not plan to check our luggage. Even though I don't want to, I plan to just suck it up and use a cartridge razor while on vacation.

Besides checking your luggage, I'm wondering what you hardcore (I'll never use a cartridge!) wet shavers do while on vacation if you carry on luggage. What are your tips? Any sneaky tricks? For example, I wondered if you could get a Henson AL-13 with a few blades stacked and loaded in it through security since it looks a whole lot like a single edge disposable razor.

Any thoughts?
TST
I just hide a double edge under my odor eaters and pack my old Gillette razor in my carry on!

Okay, I'm kidding! No hate mail please!

If I’m flying, I check luggage. Flying SUUUUUCKS, so I take my time and don’t let anyone rush me. I also don’t work on the plane if I’m traveling for business. Air travel is the worst, so I do whatever I can to make it better.

If I’m in Canada or the states I’d prob bring a DE and get blades on Amazon prime with same or next day delivery.

That's a great idea to be honest, one of the other things is to head on over Walgreens and or CVS, they are on every corner right............otherwise if I'm on the road traveling, I just hold off on shaving till I get home. I have yet to travel with a double edge razor, and honestly I'm not very interested in traveling with one either.

Top Bottom