What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew. It's 66° in Music City right now with a high around 84°. Isolated thunderstorms expected. I got about seven hours of solid sleep last night. I've been taking two Nature's Way Stress Defense gummies before bed each night and they seem to be helping me relax. They contain Ashwagandha which has worked well for me in the past. I picked up a few sessions next week. These will be evening sessions. In the past I would always show up at the studio around 9 am and make sure the coffee was ready.

I'm looking forward to my date this afternoon. I have to pick up a bouquet of fresh flowers and a bottle of wine on the way. After being in a relationship for 11 years and now being single, this whole date thing is new to me, ha. 😆

Have a blessed Tuesday, my friends.

Good morning, coffee crew. It's 66° in Music City right now with a high around 84°. Isolated thunderstorms expected. I got about seven hours of solid sleep last night. I've been taking two Nature's Way Stress Defense gummies before bed each night and they seem to be helping me relax. They contain Ashwagandha which has worked well for me in the past. I picked up a few sessions next week. These will be evening sessions. In the past I would always show up at the studio around 9 am and make sure the coffee was ready.

I'm looking forward to my date this afternoon. I have to pick up a bouquet of fresh flowers and a bottle of wine on the way. After being in a relationship for 11 years and now being single, this whole date thing is new to me, ha. 😆

Have a blessed Tuesday, my friends.
Good luck, man! I‘m sure you will stand out - a true gentleman is a rarity in this day and age.

Today's brew was with the Ubora Coffee (Augusta, GA) - Peru Cajamarca beans and the Tales Coffee single-pour recipe.
It was the maiden brew using my glass Hario V60-01 with the Hario Switch base (which I will call the V60-01 Switch from now on).
I think I am getting better at the recipe but I also feel the flow rate was a little slower in the glass version vs. the plastic. I had more time to spiral the pour to the outsides than with the plastic version yesterday. The resulting brew was a little dry today (too much extraction). I may try a faster pour or adjust my grind coarser for next time. I bet if I measured the holes with calipers, I would find the glass hole is smaller than the plastic hole. I found that to be the case between the opaque plastic 01 and 02 brewers I own.

I liked the look and feel of the glass cone. It was nice to close the switch and fill up the cone partially to rinse the filter and warm the brewer without using extra water in the heating process (if I did not have the switch closed). I think this setup will work nicely for my smaller doses (which is what I do most). I look forward to trying some of my other Switch recipes and see if I find a difference in the taste now that I can brew closer to the brew bed with the smaller doses.

I look forward to trying this recipe with my V60-02 at the full dose setting.

Today is Dunkin and yard work. Once this is done I will a very limited amount of weeding and mulching to do. It will go from 6 yards of mulch to 2.
IMG_4781.jpeg

MO, I'm glad your Father-In-Law is doing better. Sorry to hear that your better half has that sinus infection.... Cruise ships scare me. It's like being in a confined city.... all sharing germs. It's unavoidable.

The Major agrees 100%, and for similar reasons. He sees a cruise as, at its heart, a very nice resort that you can't escape even if you wanted to do so. Unless, that is, you're a really strong swimmer. Plus, the Major worked for almost 10 years at the - take a deep breath before reading the name of this department out loud - Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Pennsylvania. Basically, epidemiology is the study of how health conditions, good and bad, spread through populations. It had a public moment of sorts during the COVID pandemic, as public health professions worldwide were studying how the disease progressed through populations. Biostatistics is the application of mathematical models to the study of epidemiology. The Major worked in IT for support for this department and loved every minute of it. Long story of what happened to this job. Based on being subsumed in this academic environment for years, the Major always saw cruise ships as the ideal example of short-term, largely enclosed environment in which a virus or bacteria would be able to spread easily through an environment in a manner that did an excellent job of removing racial, national, and even some socioeconomic variables.

In other words, he saw cruise ships as floating petri dishes. You can see tons of examples where a disease like norovirus will sweep through an entire ship, encouraged by such things as omnipresent buffets. This may have reduced somewhat thanks to improvements made in reaction to the pandemic. One can hope.

Much to his surprise, though, the Major found that his CO, despite an extensive background in biology, was a huge fan of cruising. So, he learned to muzzle his questions when she expressed her interest in the trip of a lifetime that his CO wanted to share with his sister. The two of them are very close, to the point where Andrea (the Major's sister) is the sister that the Major's CO (an only child) never had, and vice-versa. The two of them wanted to take this cruise on their own, w/o the Major (his sister is single), and the Major raised no objection, since the idea of spending 10 days on a cruise, cooped up in relatively close quarters with his sister didn't exactly strike him as a good time.

That is one of the reasons we avoid cruises but the main reason is we like to explore places we visit on our own... .Learn where the locals eat... absorb the local culture, etc. It's harder to accomplish that with the schedules cruises require.

The Major's CO sees a cruise as a good way to get a quick taste of various places, and to decide whether or not you want to return for a fuller "meal" of that same later. As an example, for the first cruise on which she took the Major, they took a quick one from Miami down to Key West, then to Cozumel, and back. They liked each - the Major introduced his CO to snorkeling in Cozumel, and was unsurprised both to see how well she took to it and how she noticed things that he didn't, thanks to her biology training - and decided on a honeymoon in the FL Keys due to this quick visit.

Executive summary: cruising has its appeal, and even its advantages, but the Major isn't sure he'd ever call himself a fan. Although... there are some elderly people who, after doing some quick maths, determined that it's less expensive to spend an extended part of their old age cruising on a more or less permanent basis than to spend that same time in a nursing home.
Check it out. A good nursing home is a bloody fortune, and between on-board facilities available on many ships and local facilities available almost everywhere, it's likely that anybody capable of independent living will do just as well on a cruise ship as they'd do in a nursing home. So, given the choice between spending years in a sad place or at sea, for the same money, which would you pick?

-MO

So, this morning, the Major started his day with a cup of Greek coffee, a souvenir from his CO's cruise to Greece, made in his Turkish cezve. Much to the Major's surprise, this combination did not result in a shooting War breaking out on his stove.

20240507_095025.jpg

The Major has followed various instructions to make Turkish coffee. The one he used today was, without question, the sweetest one yet. Unfortunately, the Major prefers his regular coffee black. So, this ultra sweet variety was not exactly what he had hoped to drink.

So, you might say that the Major needed to wash down this liquid candy bar with a shot of Volcanica Haitian Blue black. Much more in line with his typical taste.

-MO

and the Major raised no objection, since the idea of spending 10 days on a cruise, cooped up in relatively close quarters with his sister didn't exactly strike him as a good time.
This made me actually laugh out loud. I love my sister dearly, but I very much relate.
there are some elderly people who, after doing some quick maths, determined that it's less expensive to spend an extended part of their old age cruising on a more or less permanent basis than to spend that same time in a nursing home.
Check it out. A good nursing home is a bloody fortune, and between on-board facilities available on many ships and local facilities available almost everywhere, it's likely that anybody capable of independent living will do just as well on a cruise ship as they'd do in a nursing home. So, given the choice between spending years in a sad place or at sea, for the same money, which would you pick?
I learned this on an Alaskan Inside Passage cruise 13 years ago. I was there with my extended family: My wife, son, both parents, my aforementioned sister and her husband and children. I'd get restless and wander the ship searching for unique spots to get different cocktails while everyone else was asleep. One night I happened upon a very engaging elderly couple that explained the concept to me. It had been months since they'd been home, hopping from cruise to cruise. They said that sometimes they lose track of what country they're in or where they're cruising to - sort of "joking, but not joking". I was dumbfounded, but as they explained their reasoning to me it really sank into my 32 year old brain. I certainly gained some perspective.

So, this morning, the Major started his day with a cup of Greek coffee, a souvenir from his CO's cruise to Greece, made in his Turkish cezve. Much to the Major's surprise, this combination did not result in a shooting War breaking out on his stove.

View attachment 1842245

The Major has followed various instructions to make Turkish coffee. The one he used today was, without question, the sweetest one yet. Unfortunately, the Major prefers his regular coffee black. So, this ultra sweet variety was not exactly what he had hoped to drink.

So, you might say that the Major needed to wash down this liquid candy bar with a shot of Volcanica Haitian Blue black. Much more in line with his typical taste.

-MO
If it's Robusta coffee it's really tough to drink without a little sugar and/or cream ......

Top Bottom