What's new

Whats on your bench? Other projects and creations

Thanks guys .
@ Brooksie,,,, what , you don't have an extra 50 M laying around ?

Haha not until i win the lottery next week.

In all honesty though, that work is absolutely stunning. It must be a real pleasure to work on that scale. Do you find that people as wealthy as that truly appreciate what you are doing for them or is it simply another possession to thaem?

My next carving project is 2 of these relief panels for a private home. They will be done in bass and are approx . 2 x 2 1/2 ft.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 255
I enjoy woodturning, these are a few ornaments I made for Christmas craft fairs. Black walnut, Ponderosa pine and Quaking aspen.

$20121117-175913.jpg

$20130106-183900.jpg

Very impressive. I am finishing rescaling and restoring a couple of MAB Dwarf razors, which turned out to be more difficult than I thought. There is very little room for error (literally). Hard to imagine creating true miniatures like those. Would need a patient and experienced hand.

So we got the furnace up and running and it works surprisingly well. We made two lost-foam castings. The first a G for a friend of my son's who spotted him a couple bucks for pie at school for their "pi day" celebration (his friend's name starts with G). It's about 3 1/2" tall. Drew the letter freehand on a piece of paper, cut it out, stuck it on a sheet of styrofoam and cut it out ob the bandsaw. Glued a stick of styrofoam on the back and buried it in some play sand. The stick creates a channel that the molten aluminum flows through and allows for some extra molten metal to fill space left as the casting shrinks as it solidifies. The bumps and dimples are the texture of the styrofoam. We cut off the aluminum stick (spruce) off the back and it's done.

proxy.php

the second casting was for a school project. My son needed to create a way of presenting his "narwhal" project for hs math class -- basically a bunch of graphs showing how different functions change in different ways. Started out by drawing the outline on the styrofoam and cutting it out on the bandsaw. Shaped it a bit on the belt sander. We stuck a screw in the end as the horn, another as the eye. The screws are steel, so they are not bothered by the much lower melting point of aluminum (1200° F rather than 2500°F). Smoothed it out a bit on the belt sander, but kept some of the rustic look.
proxy.php

We we will make a 3 ring binder out of plywood and attach this to the front. Lots of fun.

Since 180 pcs were needed I carved 3 masters and cast all
the sections needed for the door panel trim. Unfortunately the first set of castings I did didn't work out and I had to recast the entire lot in another material.
The photo shows what they'll look like when cut and installed in the door panels.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 175
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 174
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 174
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 174
This is one of two panels that were put on hold while I did the castings in the previous post. It's one piece of basswood except for the small leaves that lay over the frame. It's approx. 20 x 30

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 185
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 183
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 182
Mark, as always, I'm near speechless at the quality and skill so evident in your work. When I win the powerball, I think I will have some work for you.

much less craftsmanship involved in my stuff but it keeps me amused. I posted this in the brush making forum, but I thought shaverat would be more likely to come across it here, and he indirectly gave me the idea. 3d printed handle and a Virginia Sheng synthetic knot.
proxy.php

i found the 3d model online--a skull shot glass. At the full size it would need a 30mm knot. I had the 20mm synthetic waiting for a handle so I printed again at 75% and it fit perfectly. Unfortunately the handle is a bit small for my hands. The knot is fantastic.

Here I did a brushed finish on the main body and polished everything else,,,,,,wait,,, that's my routine for razors. But it works for Tabernacles too! The third I've done in 2 months along with the book stand. It too , like most of the razors I do was heavily tarnished and pitted. But when you come right down to it restoring/polishing metal is all the same.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 63
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Top Bottom