What's new

What to do with the pieces of Mitchell's?

I've finally got down with my Mitchell's Soap to the point where it was a centimeter thick and broke into four quarters. So, now what do I do? It's impossible to hold and load because the pieces are too small. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have any ideas??
Thanks!
Given that the puck starts at around 2.7 cm you likely have a third of it left. Just press down into your container and keep using it. Another option is to put a new puck into your container and press these pieces on top of it (you want to use the older soap first). I've done that with some other soaps on occasion.

Sir tinpanalley, congratulations on being a very long-standing member here!!

For your MWF soap, you can replace it with a fresh NOS MWF tallow puck, if you can find.

Or, simply leave your pieces of MWF in a puddle of distilled water for a couple weeks.
Then, you should have MWF shave cream!

Another option, smash the pieces into a smaller-diameter container, from which you can load your brush.

Either method can work!

Love my MWF as well!!

mitchell wool fat em's thiers issard taylor of old bond st bay rum santa maria novella july 7 ...jpg

Grate the stuff using the kitchen grater, smooch the pile into a plastic container small foodstuffs are stored in (really not sure what they're called, but they have this breakaway seal you need to remove after closing them for the first time), press it down with the back of a spoon, and you're good to go.

For those interested, I took the 4 quarter pieces, let them soak in water for a couple of hours in a metal bowl, then used a ceramic pestle I have and rgound the very soft soap until I had a paste. I then took all that paste like softened butter and placed it in the wooden container I was storing it in.

Thanks for all the tips!

PXL_20240514_075342905.jpg

I've finally got down with my Mitchell's Soap to the point where it was a centimeter thick and broke into four quarters. So, now what do I do? It's impossible to hold and load because the pieces are too small. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have any ideas??
Thanks!

I have the Mitchell shaving bowl, which is slightly larger than a new puck and leaves a small gap between puck and bowl. So I put in the new puck and wedge the leftover pieces between the new puck and the inside of the Mitchell bowl.

I don’t care much for putting the leftover pieces at the bottom, as often the new puck start moving around when loading the brush.

B.

Top Bottom