What's new

What to do with my cat (frustrated)?

I doubt his cat has diabetes, but you never know. Usually if they have diabetes, they will really soak the litter box until the diabetes is under control.

A cat will try to cover his waste with litter out of respect for the chief cat (i.e. the chief human "cat"). If the litter box gets too dirty, it throws them off of what instinct is telling them to do which is to cover the scent of the waste.

This being a male cat, you've got marking issues too. Some vets specialize in feline medicine and you might want to check that out.

Definitely get him to the vet to get checked out that he doesn't have a medical issue.

If he does, they usually recommend their brand of pet food but I think going one step further and making your own food is even better as you can control what goes in, give him variety and keep him hydrated through food instead of water and avoid any potential problems with ingredient issues.

Do a search for BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food)and find an appropriated diet for his condition. Towards the end of my cat's life she was getting so picky about food that I ended up getting someone to custom make her food. After a few weeks of a hunger strike (I really didn't know how she lived that long) I called this guy and he made some samples and she just took to it immediately! He only delivers local but tries to replicate what a cat would eat in the wild with variety of meats and customizing the diet to your cat. He is very hardcore and passionate about making his cat food fresh as well.

The other thing to consider is the type of litter. My cat had kidney failure and arthritis so she had to go frequently and the litter needed to be changed a lot as well the pine pellets I was using was too hard for her paws when she stood on them so my bed and futon were better litter boxes. :mad3:

The vet suggested using fleece scraps in her litter box so she would have something soft to stand on as well be able to knead as it's comforting for her to do and it can be cleaned easily. Just a thought until you find a suitable litter type if its what is making him reject the litter box. Perhaps its also the box is difficult to get in and out of.

Top Bottom