What's new

What side to CrOX a strop

I just bought some thiers issard cromium oxide paste and I have a red latigo strop and was wondering which side to paste, the smooth side or the rougher side?

thanks!

Most folks paste the rough (back) side. That way the smooth (front) side can be used for daily stropping and the rough (back) can be used when the blade needs a little help. Don't use CrOx everyday.

Last edited:
I just bought some thiers issard cromium oxide paste and I have a red latigo strop and was wondering which side to paste, the smooth side or the rougher side?

thanks!

Niether....... Cromium oxide pasted strops are used as a final hone or as a touch up hone for a razor that needs a bit more than just a good stropping in the honing process. The cromium oxide paste will become inbedded in the leather making the strop pretty much useless as just a strop.

From your description you have a single strop with one finished side and one unfinished side. The rough side will be too rough and would only dull the razor if anything...

my suggestion would be for you to buy a $10 strop on ebay to use with the Cromium Oxide paste then apply the paste to the smooth side of that strop following the instructions that should come with the paste.

Most folks paste the rough (back) side. That way the smooth (front) side can be used for daily stropping and the rough (back) can be used when the blade need a help. Don't use CrOx everyday.

I could be wrong but I think from the OP description he has a single strop with one finished side and one unfinished side.... if this is the case the unfinished side will not work for what he wants. I think it will be too rough.

[
my suggestion would be for you to buy a $10 strop on ebay to use with the Cromium Oxide paste then apply the paste to the smooth side of that strop following the instructions that should come with the paste.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i did, so i now have 2 good strops, and a cheap bay special with chrom on it!

You could also try a standard 3" wide piece of balsa wood, available at any hardware store...thoroughly paste the balsa, let it sit overnight and strop away!

A 3" x 36" x 1/8" balsa piece costs very little, just a few dollars, and can be easily cut into some nice size pasties. Cut like an 8" piece. I glued some rough scrap leather to the bottom of it with Barge cement. Now, when I use it, it does not slide at all.

Last edited:
A 3" x 36" x 1/8" balsa piece costs very little, just a few dollars, and can be easily cut into some nice size pasties. Cut like an 8" piece. I glued some rough scrap leather to the bottom of it with Barge cement. Now, when I use it, it does not slide at all.

Cool idea - and you just use this as you would a hone (but with spine leading, natch)?

I like paste on the fabric :thumbup1:

You could also just glue a bit of an old pair of jeans, or any durable fabric, to balsa, if you want something to make it a tad more stiff.

I started using Barge cement when I made some moccasin type shoes to glue the bottom sole on. The stuff is like super rubber cement to use.

EEEEk i did paste the rough side, but i managed to get some on the smooth side aswell.. :( i do also own and illinois 206 which has the linen and leather both unpasted, i was planning to use the red latigo as a pure paste strop, I will test out the pasted side once i get my straight hopefully on monday, if it doesn't work out the greatest i will paste the smoother side :)

+1 I got the balsa and a 1 x3 x 36 pine and glued the balsa to the pine now I have 3 ... 3 x 12 balsa strops ... just waiting for the CroX to get here :w00t:

I was also thinking about leaving one of the balsa strops unpasted and get some hard felt and glue it to the other side of the pine board. But I am not having any luck finding a small piece of hard felt :mad3: I can only find very big pieces

How do you get the Balsa perfectly flat? Seems like it would have to be planed. No?

There has been some discussion here about "lapping" aka sanding balsa. The stuff I bought from Michaels seemed pretty darned flat but I marked off lines on one side and got some fine sandpaper and sanded the lines off. I then took a mildly damp washcloth and wiped the thing down to get rid of any dust.

The next day I coated the thing with CroOx. Its a great balsa strop and was pretty cheap...could have been even cheaper but I made it more expensive by getting a decent block of wood for the base :thumbup1:

Bottomline: I think I could have gotten by without the sanding step...but it gave me a project to do! :tongue_sm

I could be wrong but I think from the OP description he has a single strop with one finished side and one unfinished side.... if this is the case the unfinished side will not work for what he wants. I think it will be too rough.

I have a paddle stop with rough leather pasted with CrOx and the back of a TM strop pasted with CrOx - both work great :thumbup1:

Top Bottom