What's new

What should be my first brush?

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while but I think it's time to get involved and I signed up. Here is the obligatory brush questionnaire to get me started:

1. What existing brushes do I already own.
None. I'm a complete newbie to wet shaving and would like to get my first brush.

2. Soap or creams.
I don't use soap or creams... yet. Up until now I've been taking my mach3 (5 blade) into the shower, cranking up the heat, and shaving directly under the water stream without any shaving cream. The couple times I messed with shaving cream in a can ended up with a less smooth shave. With that said, I've been reading everyone's experiences with a real lather and I'm interested in giving it a try. I have my eye on some Tabac soap and I just recently impulse purchased some l'Occitane cream to jump start the wet-shaving attempt.

3. What you want from your next brush?
My next brush will be my first brush so I'm looking for an entry level brush that I can learn the ropes with. It should also be decent enough that I won't be disappointed down the road and have to go out and upgrade again. If I do upgrade later on, I would like it to be a decision based on luxury rather than necessity.

4. Brush aesthetics.
I don't know the pros or cons of the various materials, but I am a huge fan of the way Brazilian rosewood looks. I've also liked some of the solid black and horn styles I've seen. For a little while I was thinking I might build my own brush and came up with this design and the actual size paper mache prototype. Since I have never held a a real brush in my hand before I have no idea whether that shape is any good or not, but I think it looks nice.

5. Budget.
I thought $50 might be a good budget but it is entirely artificial. I am hoping you guys might tell me what is reasonable for an intro brush. I'm not looking for the brush to end all brushes. Lets aim for a good bang-for-your-buck type brush.

6. Size.
I have no idea. The prototype brush handle I linked from #4 felt a little 'fat' in my hand but it's hard to say without being able to use it in an actual lathering situation. I would guess my hand size is medium.

7. Brushes that have already piqued your interest.
Based entirely on the opinions I've read from this forum, I've had an interest in the EJ Best Badger (in imitation horn) and the Rooney 1/1 or 3/1 brushes. Being a newbie, I could be entirely off target here so don't let me steer you guys into steering me wrong. Feel free to tell me what I need.

8. Please don't forget to tell us that this will be your last or only brush, and that "SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me." We need a good laugh.

The voice on my shoulder says I'll invest in a good starter brush and call it quits. I already have enough expensive hobbies so I'm hoping this won't be another. What is SBAD?

Last edited:
:w00t: You made a brush handle out of paper mache??? :w00t: It does look pretty sweet though...
Yeah, I wanted to feel the shape in my hand before I started cutting wood and I thought paper mache would be a good way to prototype the design. My wife gave me the you're-crazy look as I was working away on it. :tongue: The original plans involved a nice dark grained wood and a 24mm UK-silvertip knot from thegoldennib.com.

I haven't entirely thrown out the DIY approach, but I am now leaning towards just buying something commercial.

I dunno but every time I see a starter here, I always have to suggest...

Omega Professional Boar

proxy.php

Solid brush, works well on anything and its $11.07 I say buy cheap first to see if you even like using soap/cream.

Also once its broken in, if you do like brushes may want some different style/type all together.

I'm sure many will disagree with me on this one but I don't believe in first brushes. I would recommend getting a brush cheap enough to be a first brush and good enough to be a final brush. You will end up spending more later wondering what a more expensive brush would feel like. I recommend an Edwin Jagger Best or a Rooney Super. It doesn't make sense to me to by a pure badger for $35 if you can get a Rooney super for $75. $40 more for the next 30 years is insignificant if you calculate cost per shave. That is many shaves you will enjoy with a better brush. You don't ever have to spend $400 on a brush. My 2 cents.

Tony

My first brush was a tweezerman. A very competent $15 brush. Not a show stopper, but reasonable. If I could start all over again, I would pony up for a Rooney 3/1 right off the bat.

A good pure badger brush from C&E, Col Conk's or Omega can get you started with a great brush that will last years. The Pure Badger is a little stiffer than Silvertip or Best and softer than Boar. It will work well with either creams or soaps too. Good luck!

Are you going to face lather or bowl lather? I tend to face lather more so the smaller loft is super. While the smaller brush will work for bowl lathering, I tend to use a little bigger loft.

Since you mentioned soap(Tobac) I would say the Rooney Style 1,2, or 3 / size 1 in super would be a good bet. I now have the Rooney 1/1 and it works great with Tallow soaps and various creams.

Are you going to face lather or bowl lather? I tend to face lather more so the smaller loft is super. While the smaller brush will work for bowl lathering, I tend to use a little bigger loft.
I'm unsure yet. I'll probably try both and see what works best.

Do NOT get a silvertip or super or fancy stone and wood. That will be your NEXT brush.

Something cheap, scritchy and PURE. Like the Rooney 3/1.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Welcome.

Excellent creativity with your paper-mache brush mock up!

Have you considered an EJ Best Badger Brush? These are similar to the now discontinued C&E BBB that is oft recommended for those new to shaving. No sense spending copious amounts of scratch until you know if wet shaving is for you.

Top Bottom