What's new

What is the best soap base in 2023?

On another forum, I saw that GD is now moving to 5oz.

I have concerns about Ethos's claims regarding the ingredients in his products. The use of EOS Complex is illegal, and some of the ingredients he claims to use do not exist.
@ohansen Why is the use of EOS Complex illegal? As far as I understand, Frank, the founder and owner of Ethos, was the developer of the formulation and that trademark. Frank has a long legacy in product development in skin and hair care products and has collaborated with leading groups in that industry.

And I guess I have to ask what ingredients is he using that do not exist? I find that hard to believe as it would violate a number of ethical and legal standards. Given Frank's presence in the industry I doubt he is going to put his reputation at risk for something like that.

Also what is your background in this area and skin care formulations? Just trying to understand your expertise on the subject.

Making vague intimations about another man's reputation without any specifics or factual basis is very poor form. I would just reach out directly to Frank on "another" shaving forum. He has a dedicated thread there and you should post the same thing here, but over there, directly to him. I'll be watching over there for that post, but I doubt I will be seeing your post directly to him.

Top bases in 2023 for me:
Ethos F base
MacDuff's

Last edited:
Furthermore the post shave skin food splash and lotion are the best I have used.
Franks Ethos splash formula is really good. Mo at Grooming Dept just updated his splashes and they're now much improved. I've tried many soaps and aftershaves and these 2 brands are superior to anything else I've ever used. The scents are high quality, crisp, long lasting, and never muddled. Neither brand is cheap but anyone asking for the best of the best- these 2 are where I'd point them every time.

Do you bowl lather or face lather? What are you using as of now for soap?
I mostly bowl lather but face lather sometimes 80/20. Currently I have pretty generic stuff Proraso soap and cream, Tabac, Arko and Nivea sticks. I recently bought Taylor of old bond street and really like it, I think it's really good stuff. But yeah pretty generic but I sure enjoy having switched to DE shaving a little over a year ago.

I wonder if people are familiar with the concept of "pixie dusting" in cosmetics and food products. Looked up one of the brands here and the ingredient list was good for a laugh.

Might be a selling point for some, but it's a huge turnoff for me. Hard pass. Good thing I have more than enough soap + cream already.

No "magic soap" quest for me LOL.

Top Bottom