What's new

What food to go with laphroaig (and other whiskys)?

No food with a good scotch for me. I want nothing to interfere with the Scotch flavor that I paid so much to enjoy.

Chocolate Chip Cookies! I know it sounds strange. Whip up a batch of cookies and have fresh one while enjoying a good single malt. Even a tube of pre-made Toll House cookies will work. Something about the sweet/salty cookie and chocolate kicks the whisky flavors through the roof.

Like many here I tend to not eat much if anything while drinking scotch. But I don't think there is any prohibition particulalry and I have done so every so often - as long as the food can standup to the whisky. Consequently - a nice steak works just fine. I would think any sort of game - venison, game birds, etc... would be a good choice as well.

I have often had appetizers while enjoying a wee dram - and certainly any sort of charcuterie is a nice choice, smoked salmon is outstanding particularly belly lox if you can source it (and I enjoyed some dried smoked salmon as well which while intense paired nicely). Aged sharp cheddars and smoked cheeses work well, I admit that as much as I like really stinky blue cheeses some really nice stilton and scotch was not a perfect pairing, I'd stay away from those. And just for the record, to throw out a cultural twist near to my heart - a bit of sliced country ham works very well indeed!

Top Bottom