What's new

What do you use?

Tequilero79 said:
I've been using a home made concoction of Melt & Pour glycerin soap mixed with some ground up oatmeal, honey, and a little bit of castor oil to wash my face with great results. I also use this ala shave stick in the shower for shaving with great results.

Respectfully,

Schubert

Very interesting combination. Did you follow some recipe? Is the oatmeal used as an exfoliant?

Austin,

That wasn’t my original intention for the oatmeal but it does have the granules there if I wanted to use it for that. I just used it because I’ve read how beneficial oatmeal can be for oily skin, same with the honey. Forgot to mention in my previous post that I also used some aloe gel in there as well. The castor oil I used because I intended in using this soap for shaving as well so I wanted to add something to add some lubricity to it. Normally I just rub on my face only to leave a film of soap and lather it up with my hands a little and then scrub with my facial brush. It rinses out clean with no residue left behind. For shaving I just rub it on my beard, against the grain, then load up my soaked brush with some shave cream, lately Palmolive’s been my go-to cream for this, and lather up on my face. This creates lots and lots of very thick slick lather that allows me a very close shave with minor irritation, especially on the neck area

I didn’t really follow any recipe, I was just experimenting around with the soap and started adding stuff to it as I went along. I do this often and the results are usually not as good as this one. Next time I do this I’ll make sure to write down what I did so that I can share the recipe if anyone’s interested.

Respectfully,

Schubert

Scotto said:
Being ignorant of lots of facial stuff, why don't you tone anymore?

Thanks

Well even when I did tone I only toned oily areas but nothing really improved. The body naturally produces oil so when you tone and remove it the body makes more.....`really a never ending cycle. When this was preached to me I was skeptical but tried it and in a few day my complexion looked amazing. A simple wash with a face cleanser in the morning and night followed by a moisturizer or spf if your going to be in the sun is all your face really needs.

I've actually stopped toning as well for the moment....I stoped for about a week and saw no real difference for that week and when I started again...If I do go back to a toner it will be Baxter...

Esoteric83 said:
I've actually stopped toning as well for the moment....I stoped for about a week and saw no real difference for that week and when I started again...If I do go back to a toner it will be Baxter...

If you must tone I have found baxter to be the best for my skin..................if you noticed no diff. why go back, one less thing you apply to your face. The reason you saw no diff. instead of improvement may be because of the face wash your using.

I have combination skin and have found toning to generally have negative effects. I still tone my forehead and nose in the summer months, but going over my cheeks seems to cause all kinds of problems.

I have used a number of different toners and, to be honest, found Baxters to be one of the worst. It felt very sticky and seemed to cause more breakouts than prevent them.

I have combo skin, which can be quite sensitive to some products.

CLEANSERS:
Currently, Shiseido wash, as well as scrub work pretty well for me (they clean fairly well without drying out my skin).
Recently, I acquired a bottle of Sircuitskin X-Trap and will report back on that once I've used it for a bit (as of right now, I can say that it cleans better than all of the previous cleansers that I've tried).

TONERS:
Right now, Sharps is becoming my daily toner of choice, with the Shiseido in second place. Both do a good job and feel nice on the skin, but I feel that for me Sharps is working the best.

MOISTURIZERS:
I can't even recall all of the producs that I've tried in this category. Most would leave my skin way too oily within an hour. I've just started using Baxter's oil-free moisturizer, and it seems to be doing a great job so far (much better than anything I've used previously), but I'll have to use it for a bit longer (as I find some products will do OK at first, and then start slipping).

Scotto said:
I just ordered a sampler pack of Baxter's stuff. I'll report later this week after I have a chance to use some of them.

-Scotto

This was a mixed bag for me. Some really good, some just OK. Defintely worth the $5 for the sample pack, though.

Facial wash: nice product, doesn't dry my face off, which is very rare. A keeper
Facial scrub: great aroma of almonds, but the bits are too big for me. Meh at best
After shave balm: my favorite of the bunch. Super cooling, and leaves my face feeling more supple than any ASB I have tried. Really good stuff
Oil free moisturizer: Nothing special. Definetely wouldn't be moisturizing enough in wintertime
Super shape (APF 15) moisturizer: Too thick for me, leaves me greasy. Pass.

Based on this, I ordered a bottle of the ASB and the face wash from Men Essentials. Also threw in some shampoo, conditioner, and body wash to try them out. I'll report back after I try them.

Scotto said:
This was a mixed bag for me. Some really good, some just OK. Defintely worth the $5 for the sample pack, though.

Facial wash: nice product, doesn't dry my face off, which is very rare. A keeper
Facial scrub: great aroma of almonds, but the bits are too big for me. Meh at best
After shave balm: my favorite of the bunch. Super cooling, and leaves my face feeling more supple than any ASB I have tried. Really good stuff
Oil free moisturizer: Nothing special. Definetely wouldn't be moisturizing enough in wintertime
Super shape (APF 15) moisturizer: Too thick for me, leaves me greasy. Pass.

Based on this, I ordered a bottle of the ASB and the face wash from Men Essentials. Also threw in some shampoo, conditioner, and body wash to try them out. I'll report back after I try them.

I never tried the scrub but from what I have been told I think the particles would be to big for me as well. The supershape........You might want to give it time to find the right amount for your face, I felt the same at first but eventually found an amount that worked well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I love it when someone responds to a thread that has been lying dormant for 18 years. It's like someone suddenly deciding to add a chapter to the Gospel of St John or a couple more dirty stories to Chaucer.

Currently using Noxzema classic clean. Normally in the shower before I shave. Works for me and isn’t expensive either. Clean and refreshing for the skin.

Top Bottom