What's new

What coticule veins tend to have orange lines running through them?

Asking for a friend.

Just kidding. I have one hone and one slurry stone like this. If your answer is La Grise, that ain't it. I have yet to use the hone for anything, but the slurry stone I have to good effect. Both are light cream in color and seem to be fine but also fast. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

La veinette does. Both my newly mined one and my vintage ones look identical and are the only vein I've seen those yellowish orange streaks. They look like highlights on the manganese lines.

La veinette does. Both my newly mined one and my vintage ones look identical and are the only vein I've seen those yellowish orange streaks. They look like highlights on the manganese lines.
I think it could be too. Seems similar to my other LV, but its finer and faster. Bought if off etsy and it was stamped "selected" from Ardennes but the seller didn't list the vein. Its 6 X 1.5. The other is 6 X 2, so I prefer having a bit more real-estate. I'm at work but will post pics when I'm home

I think it could be too. Seems similar to my other LV, but its finer and faster. Bought if off etsy and it was stamped "selected" from Ardennes but the seller didn't list the vein. Its 6 X 1.5. The other is 6 X 2, so I prefer having a bit more real-estate. I'm at work but will post pics when I'm home
My newer lv came from etsy. It's really small(slurry stone sized).

I promised pics--they're not great. For some reason, my iPhone never takes good pictures of coticules

IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Looks like a fissure that has been discolored with minerals? That’s somewhat common I’d say, and not a trait that’s attributed to any single layer that I know of. The second pic is what I call tiger striped. I’ve seen that on Dressante, La Grise, and lots of unknown vintage coticules. Neat stone.

None of those are toxic, btw. The tiger striped stone isn't La Grise. Got so much of that I know it backwards and forwards. Its a light cream color similar to the other two, but I think it might be a different vein

Also, the slurry stone that has the diagonal orange line from top to bottom: That is not slurry on it. It has some kind of white mineral occlusion. A vein of quartz or something?

I have some that was sold as a La Petite Blanche that have brown needles in them. Not honestly sure if the vein identification is correct.

IMG_0837.jpeg

Not sure the vein but it’s pretty and I want one 🤣.
Me too friend, me too. All coticules I've come across are extremely useful(for me) and fairly versatile, not all of them razor stones, but most are. The coarse ones are the treasure that woodworkers and knife guys are chasing(even if they don't know it). A coticule that leaves teeth is a unicorn. I've got 2. Of all the coticules I've bought, sold, tried, and had only 2 fit that description and they will be in my possession until I assume room temperature. Most coticules can give a great shaving edge with the right touch but some much harder than others. The 2 that leave teeth I've shaved off of. With very careful strokes I was able to shave off them, though I didn't enjoy it. It was very much like a blue Tam O'shanter, which I've shaved off of a lot. Oil is the way to make it keen enough, on those two, to give a comfortable shave. The edge is really aggressive and that totally backwards from what coticules do. I've got a couple ones that are fine enough they feel like a thuringian edge. Coticules are a crap shoot unless you're getting it from a person that's used the stone and will tell you the honest truth about how the stone works and will explain how to use it to the buyer. I've always done this, give a stone to someone as a gift? Show them how to use it... an eye opening fact is that in comparison to population, very few people know how to sharpen and maintain the tools they own, if they even own tools. I've known people who would use their kitchen knives(all of them) until they got dull, and they'd throw them away and buy a new set. Id make my wife sleep on the porch if she ever tried to pull something like that. I'm lucky(as is she) and we don't have any type of dull blade on the property.

I can tell you, that the coticule with the orange markings and the slurry stone with the orange line are a match made in heaven. I'm guessing from the same vein. But, the performance of the two together I think surpasses my bonafide LV select + from Ardennes. Just. Wow. Fast and an exceptional finish. I don't see a reason to keep more than these few I've found just really exceptional

I can tell you, that the coticule with the orange markings and the slurry stone with the orange line are a match made in heaven. I'm guessing from the same vein. But, the performance of the two together I think surpasses my bonafide LV select + from Ardennes. Just. Wow. Fast and an exceptional finish. I don't see a reason to keep more than these few I've found just really exceptional
That's why I like buying second hand stones, sometimes you find a treasure you didn't know could exist.

I concur with La Veinette,
I have a few from a specially selected "harder" layer from Ardennes and one has a lot of black and orange manganese lines in it.
An amazing stone.

Have seen many many stones from varied veins with inclusions of that sort. As time progresses and new stones are extracted from known veins, new 'looks' can show up. And then there were a bizillion stones taken from veins we don't know anything about and will probably never see again. So a visual ID can be sorta sketchy.

The 'common' visual attributes for La Viennete or LPB seem to be nearly nonexistent now and I wonder if people making claims really know for sure where the stones came from. There is one source that I am positive just makes things up as they go. It's not like you can fingerprint a stone though. And at the end of the day, the name of the vein doesn't really mean all that much.

Same thing for the diagonal striping. Had a boatload of Las Petas like that, buncha La Grise, a few LGB, etc, etc.

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom