What's new

What are your thoughts on the Dremel rotary tool?

I have three Dremels and a Foredom. Can't live without them, but I do a lot of woodworking, power carving and gunsmithing. Be very careful if you try to use them on razors, they can destroy a nice straight in the blink of an eye, or burn right through the plating on your favorite DE before you know it.

I have a Black and Decker with variable speed. Can't kill it. I think the variable speed is a must. Among other things, I use small sandpaper belts on a mandrel for dog nails.

It's the kind of tool that you reach for after everything else has not worked... and it surprises you.

Perfect example:

Just now I was thinking of how long I've been putting off installing some stainless safety bars in the bathroom. I need to drill a number of very tiny holes in the tile grout lines---- in order to verify where the stud edges are. The reason I've put it off is because I've only imagined using a large full size Milwaukee drill to drill those holes----and that just seems very awkward... and a recipe for broken tiny drill bits.

This thread made me think of the B&D (Dremel type) tool. I'll do it in the morning!

What about using one of the Dremel bits in a variable speed drill? I did that once for a particular application, because I did not want to buy the whole Dremel kit.

I still question whether I should get the full package for future DIY projects, or whether to wait until a spinning bit/disk is absolutely needed and seeing if my variable speed drill will be up to the task or not. Is the Dremel electric tool that much more maneuverable, or does it spin the bit/disc that much faster?

The main advantage of a small tool like the Dremel is the control you have over what the bit is doing. Sometimes (rarely for me) the small size is the main advantage.

Dremels are nice for the odd job or project, but if you are going to use a rotary tool daily or weekly, a Foredom is hard to beat. I've broken several Dremels over the years, but never a Foredom.

I have a Black and Decker with variable speed. Can't kill it. I think the variable speed is a must. Among other things, I use small sandpaper belts on a mandrel for dog nails.

It's the kind of tool that you reach for after everything else has not worked... and it surprises you.

Perfect example:

Just now I was thinking of how long I've been putting off installing some stainless safety bars in the bathroom. I need to drill a number of very tiny holes in the tile grout lines---- in order to verify where the stud edges are. The reason I've put it off is because I've only imagined using a large full size Milwaukee drill to drill those holes----and that just seems very awkward... and a recipe for broken tiny drill bits.

This thread made me think of the B&D (Dremel type) tool. I'll do it in the morning!

That's the one I have. The variable speed feature is great.

What about using one of the Dremel bits in a variable speed drill? I did that once for a particular application, because I did not want to buy the whole Dremel kit.

I still question whether I should get the full package for future DIY projects, or whether to wait until a spinning bit/disk is absolutely needed and seeing if my variable speed drill will be up to the task or not. Is the Dremel electric tool that much more maneuverable, or does it spin the bit/disc that much faster?

As morgantruce mentioned, the rotary style tool is more about control of the bit. Using a rotary bit in a large drill would certainly work in some cases, but would be very awkward, and way overkill from a torque perspective. I do believe my black and decker tool (and the Dremel brand as well) would spin quite a bit faster than a drill. It's actually possible to overspin some bits and have them come apart. Again, it's more about control for light jobs.

Gents, these discussions always bring out little nuances for these types of tools. Things I would have never thought of. Like guitar making.

Great advise all round and I would ads this; Rotary tools work from their speed and control. Use the same principal you do with a DE razor. Only enough pressure to get the job done. Next to cordless drills this may be the most abused tool in the workshop. The Black & Decker RTX is a great tool. Watch Amazon for great pricing.

Gents, these discussions always bring out little nuances for these types of tools. Things I would have never thought of. Like guitar making.

Great advise all round and I would ads this; Rotary tools work from their speed and control. Use the same principal you do with a DE razor. Only enough pressure to get the job done. Next to cordless drills this may be the most abused tool in the workshop. The Black & Decker RTX is a great tool. Watch Amazon for great pricing.

Well said. I'll add - always use safety glasses/goggles when using these tools! The bits are spinning at high speed, and can break easily (especially the cutting wheels), sending pieces flying.

The regular Dremel cutoff wheels are going to shatter and fly everywhere, get the fiber reinforced version, much more robust. Use the cutoff wheels wearing a face shield, safety glasses truly aren't enough.
dave

I suggest getting the cordless version of the 3000, it's the 12V Li-Ion, variable speed from 5k-30k rpm's. Give you better mobility and no cord to get in your way, it has more than enough speed and power to do what it's designed to do.

I own one for about 5 years now and like others said, when all other tools cannot get it done, this can!

The nice thing is that the Li-Ion holds the change for a long time, I can use it, throw it in the case, grab it 6 months later and the charge is still there. I'm still on the original battery. When the battery dies, there is no slow down, it just stops. There is an indicator thou, so you can see the charge level.

I have boxes of bits and it's amazing on what it can do! It's a MUST have tool in a household!

The regular Dremel cutoff wheels are going to shatter and fly everywhere, get the fiber reinforced version, much more robust. Use the cutoff wheels wearing a face shield, safety glasses truly aren't enough.
dave

Good tips! I'll have to give the fiber reinforced ones a try.

dave
Good advice. At work, we often used Metabos, which use much larger cutting wheels but still turn an insane amount of RPMs. Not something to be used while your mind is wandering. Torque the cutting wheel a little too much, and it can get dangerous in a hurry. There's a photo floating around where someone is in the hospital with a very large piece of wheel embedded in his face.

Well said. I'll add - always use safety glasses/goggles when using these tools! The bits are spinning at high speed, and can break easily (especially the cutting wheels), sending pieces flying.

James, thank you for remembering this most critical aspect of using any power tool. It is particularly well noted for rotary tools. Some spin at 36,000rpm and the impact of even dust specks is horrible to the eyes. I was just about to post the reminder as well. Thank you again for pointing this out.

I will add that if my RTX ever dies I will likely be replacing it with a Proxxon IB/E 'professional' rotary tool. Just check out YouTube videos comparing its noise level to that of Dremel or other brands. Night and day. Rather than the angry whine it is constant hum. This is what a ball bearing mounted output shaft will get you. They are spendy at around $130-140 per copy but man, the reputation and reviews are nearly 100%.

proxy.php

I will add that if my RTX ever dies I will likely be replacing it with a Proxxon IB/E 'professional' rotary tool. Just check out YouTube videos comparing its noise level to that of Dremel or other brands. Night and day. Rather than the angry whine it is constant hum. This is what a ball bearing mounted output shaft will get you. They are spendy at around $130-140 per copy but man, the reputation and reviews are nearly 100%.

proxy.php

Well thanks for that! Now I'm regretting not getting the Proxxon... I've already taken enough hearing damage from playing in bands for years... I never thought about it but my ears usually ring something fierce after using the Dremel.

Holmer, it really is a different sort of machine. I have not used one yet but I have seen them close up. Pricey? Yes. I have the beginnings of tinnitus and need nothing that would exacerbate that problem. Here is the vid. Now mind, this is Harbour Freight clone of a Dremel but owning a Dremel and a RTX I can attest they sound EXACTLY the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Holmer, it really is a different sort of machine. I have not used one yet but I have seen them close up. Pricey? Yes. I have the beginnings of tinnitus and need nothing that would exacerbate that problem. Here is the vid. Now mind, this is Harbour Freight clone of a Dremel but owning a Dremel and a RTX I can attest they sound EXACTLY the same.

I'm thinking i should just save up for the Proxxon
wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom