What's new

What are you backpackers using for shave gear & supplies?

I have always used a vintage Gillette DE travel razor. I keep a puck of soap in a a ziploc bag and a Burma Shave brush with a hole drilled thru the handle with a 3" length of dog tag chain that I hang on the outside of my pack.

Legion

Staff member
Im a bit past backpacking, but when I travel..

Shorty straight razor

proxy.php

Rolling kangaroo travel strop

proxy.php

+Wee Scot and a shave stick and I'm good to go on the road.

I have never shaved while backpacking.
I have not backpacked recently, and not for any long distance.
If I was on the trail for a few weeks, I might be interested in shaving. This is just a guess, though, as I have not done this in some time.
Maybe soon. I'll send an update if so.

Nope. Do not shave while backpacking. I keep a Dopp kit in the car for when the trip is done or I wait until I get home.

Pretty simple I don't shave when I camp or hike. I don't even wear deodorant because it attrachs animals to the campsite. I do use unscented soap but that's it. Plus it's not like I'm going to run into a party in the middle of the forest.

If I had to shave when in the boonies I'd take a Travel Tech, and some brushless cream.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
If I'm out camping or on the trail I go for the hobo/mountain man look. I'd not want to screw up a pristine glacial cut tarn with a big wad of soap and face bristles. Leave no trace, brothers.

shaving in the woods is bad on so many levels. The odors attract bugs and animals. It'll scare off fish if they catch a whiff. Camping is a time to be one with nature and be your bad self. If you our out in the wilderness so long that your beard is fairly long and you want to trim it - cut it down with a knife or simple scissors (they are on a swiss for a reason).

The longest I've backpacked without touching base somewhere was 3 months, which involved lots of interviews and the like that I wanted to appear presentable for (even with a wrinkled shirt). A proper shave kit is pretty infeasible, it's just too much volume & weight for the pleasure of it. You could go with an electric razor if you anticipate fairly frequent A/C electricity, are traveling somewhere with the same kind of outlets your razor plugs into, or you have universal adapters. But that's fairly heavy, quite expensive, and makes you pretty dependent.

Blasphemous as it may be, your best option is a simple cartridge razor. Small, fast, fairly cheap, and you don't need much more than a bit of handsoap for a reasonably serviceable 5 minute shave. I wouldn't include more than a small tube of emergency shaving cream unless you can afford the weight and space- use what you have on hand instead.

Last edited:
when I went on long hikes, even weekend hikes, I carried NONE. No need to shave, keep ur pack for essential items. Shavings not one of them.

C

chadnguns

i have been hiking all over alaska and i carry a full shave set yea its a bit of weight but to me a good clean shave is worth it
mind you i backpack for week or longer at a time on day or weekend trips i go lighter

my set has
1 straight razor
1 brush
shave soap
and a steal mug
and a small thing of aftershave

Witch Hazel!

I'm one that stays unshaven during camping usually, I just celebrate my return to civilization with my straight razor!

-Matt-

Nothing makes you appreciate the cutting power of a straight more than shaving off 5 days stubble down to socially acceptable shave in one pass!

usually i keep a puck of williams and a tech in a grooming kit. it doesn't weigh barely anything and works well. i've got about 10 shaves left on my puck though... that's alright... only one shave per week when camping/backpacking ect.
but i'm thinking about taking some cream and using that instead... interesting...

I too go without and do the caveman thing. I like camping in the winter so some facial hair helps with the cold wind. Theres nothing like getting back and having a hot shower and a good shave.

When we hike and camp in the GA mountains, i'm not taking any extra weight in my pack i don't need. Whether it's 1 night or 2 weeks, to heck with shaving.

Top Bottom