What's new

What are some good creams now that La Toja creams are discontinued?

As a lot of you know, by now, Henkel has discontinued my beloved La Toja creams in the tubes. What are some good creams that have good residual slickness and don't smell cheap?

What about Ach Brito Lavanda? Someone said it is hard to get it to lather but is great when it does.

There are others out there, too. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to spend a fortune on shaving creams. Vitos is available, but I don't know anything about it. Of course, Proraso is available, but for me there isn't enough slickness for a straight razor.

I have Speick. I'm on my second stick. I love the smell, but the performance is underwhelming compared to La Toja.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have Speick. I'm on my second stick. I love the smell, but the performance is underwhelming compared to La Toja.
Very interesting. Is this with or without tallow? I have a stick of tallow speick and like it more than my stick of la toja . Ymmv!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Palmolive, & Lea as mentioned are probably good alternatives
Have you tried Proraso single blade line? I like the lime azur it feels more luxurious over the cream in the metal tube but I’m not sure if that’s objective or subjective.

What about Ach Brito Lavanda? Someone said it is hard to get it to lather but is great when it does.

Yes, Ach. Brito's Lavanda is good. Maybe this was true a long time ago with some formulation, but not anymore.
This is my current favorite cream and along Palmolive Rinfrescante you just can't beat the quality for the price (at least in Europe).

Palmolive is solid.

Malacchio mentioned polish creams. I can vouch for Lider and Wars.

I just opened a big 150 g. tube of La Toja. I had no idea it was about to be extinct.

Jack Black Beard Lube, Kiehl’s Ultimate Brushless, Blu Atlas Shave Cream and Brickell Shave Cream (40% off now). All four excellent.

Very interesting. Is this with or without tallow? I have a stick of tallow speick and like it more than my stick of la toja . Ymmv!
Non Tallow, the new version. I think it used to be slicker. I sure like the smell of it. For me, it is great with a safety razor, but isn't my favorite with a straight razor.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As a lot of you know, by now, Henkel has discontinued my beloved La Toja creams in the tubes. What are some good creams that have good residual slickness and don't smell like a cheap wh**e?

There are others out there, too. Any thoughts?
Ach Brito Lavanda is a good cream, nice mild scent 3-4/10 of lavender with a touch of mint possibly with excellent lather qualities.
I also have some Ach Brito Lavanda aftershave Cologne and it is a good match also, it is not a loud scent but more linear & long lasting IMO.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Non Tallow, the new version. I think it used to be slicker. I sure like the smell of it. For me, it is great with a safety razor, but isn't my favorite with a straight razor.
That makes sense. I bought what looks like a lifetime supply of the tallow version, so I haven't yet had to compare. Also, straight razors require a different bundle of cheese than what I am used to.

That makes sense. I bought what looks like a lifetime supply of the tallow version, so I haven't yet had to compare. Also, straight razors require a different bundle of cheese than what I am used to.
Are we talking about the shaving cream or the shaving soap here? The Speick shaving cream has never had tallow in it. It's a unique formula with beeswax and a slightly different take on the Speick scent. I like it quite a bit. It's well worth trying. Just make sure to use only a small amount and use lots of water with it.

Top Bottom