What's new

West Coast Canadian Pass-around Box - Round 2

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The exchange and lunch happened. I have the box. I need to go through it. On top was a small bottle of Pinaud Vanilla. I want to thanks the person who put it in. It's really not what I was expecting. The scent is much better than what I was expecting.

I will do the final inventory over the week-end and post.

Luc

Staff member
I took some pictures yesterday and here they are
$IMG_2271.jpg$IMG_2272.jpg

Those are the items that I plan to use this week
$IMG_2278.jpg

Someone knows if the straight razor needs honing?

Luc

Staff member
I have a few unlabeled or unidentified items. Someone knows what they are so I can label them properly?

Item 1 - Something tallow - Looks like maple flakes but doesn't smell like maple flakes at all. Is this Art of Shaving Tallow? Which fragrance?
$IMG_2274.jpg
$IMG_2275.jpg

Item 2 - Bowl is cracked at the bottom, nothing on the jar, no idea on this one
$IMG_2276.jpg
$IMG_2277.jpg

Item 3 - I suspect something like Master Bay Rum aftershave?
$IMG_2279.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Finally, shave 1

$IMG_2280.jpg
From the box
Wilkinson Sword blue bowl
Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

My own
Japanese rubber scuttle
Ace silvertip shave brush
Injector Type N (Shave 18)

I am not a stranger from the Wilkinson Sword blue shave stick. I never used the Wilkinson Sword blue bowl. I tried the black bowl in the past (10 years ago or so). It worked well, strong scent, I thought it was great but never bought it again. The blue bowl also has a strong cologne-y scent, it works well IMO. I would possibly buy some when I reduce that den, not now but that one is noted on the "buy it later" list.

Pinaud Clubman Vanilla. What can I say? Pinaud has a nice range of products and this one is no exception. It works well, maybe not my favourite scent but it's not offensive or anything. It's a nice aftershave. My top AS from Pinaud are Citrus Musk, Lime sec and Virgin Island Bay Rum. I'm happy that I could try this one.

Someone knows if the straight razor needs honing?
I believe that's the one that I put in the box. I think it would be safe to assume that after it's cross country tour it would probably welcome a few swipes across a stone.

Luc

Staff member
I can do that, thanks Nick!

I don't know for sure but think the soap is AOS. ASO doesn't make that line any more. I tried it when I had the box and would say the state of the soap is beyond use-able...time for the trash can !!

Luc

Staff member
All right, so that clears item 1 and 3. Pending item 2 (jar with blue lid, unless it's also AOS, 2 AOS soaps).

The scuttle is something I won here on B&B during the Saint Sue auction : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ber-Scuttle-UPDATEd-WITH-ADDITIONAL-ADDITIONS

I never was a scuttle kind of guy. I face lather and very rarely use a bowl. If I do need a bowl, I palm lather to test the lather. I thought it would be great to try the scuttle since I always end up dropping the bowl I use to lather (that's why I moved to face lathering). In the end, I never dropped that one (even if it's made of rubber, it wouldn't matter). I used it every time since. Works well to soak the brush and razor.

Last edited:
#1 is AOS Tallow sandalwood, I think #2 is Williams mug soap. I know there was some in the box and the label was nearly gone. Looks like somebody lathered on it as well.

And who is the guy that opens boxes by cutting off the flaps? :p

Luc

Staff member
Yesterday I tried the Master Bay Rum and 3P shave soap (croap).

3P was pretty much what I was expecting, a solid performer. It worked super well and did a nice job. I asked myself twice during the shave, why is the scent of that Cella so faint. I then remembered that it wasn't Cella but 3P. Overall, good soap but I would buy Figaro or Cella over this one strictly on the scent side.

Master Bay rum had a thumb up from SWMBO. She rarely likes the bay rums that I have but this one was a "Wow!". So, that's good new.

Today, I tried Kiss my Face shave cream (4 in 1) and Brutal AS

Kiss My Face is a product that I like to start with. I tried a few of them. I've been using (forever) a bottle of KMF lime and it doesn't die on me. There's a lot of product in there and you don't need much to make it work. The 4 in 1 version is in the same range. Very good but I found my Lime version to be a notch better. It still worked well but not as great.

Brutal Aftershave was not too brutal... The scent is really strong, like a cologne. I found it a bit overpowering. It left me with a slightly dry skin. I like the bottle, I like the name(who doesn't?) but not the scent and feeling.

I guess I only have the Viking shave cream left tomorrow and will see how I go after that. I will possibly revisit Master Bay Rum.

Luc

Staff member
Last shave today. I used the Viking shave cream and Master Bay Rum (Again).

Viking shave cream - I believe this is a Bulgarian product. The scent is leaning toward a cologne. The lather was good.

Master Bay Rum - Again, great AS, worked well, I like this one!

A post-shave note, I feel like I applied a balm today. Now, I'm not sure if it's the weather (damp) or if it's a mixture of the Viking shave cream with the Master Bay Rum. I don't recall having that issue with Master the other day. Hopefully, it goes better tomorrow!

I would say this complete the tour for this box. I guess we need to wait on the other box to finish and we shall see how we go afterwards.

Yesterday I tried the Master Bay Rum and 3P shave soap (croap).

3P was pretty much what I was expecting, a solid performer. It worked super well and did a nice job. I asked myself twice during the shave, why is the scent of that Cella so faint. I then remembered that it wasn't Cella but 3P. Overall, good soap but I would buy Figaro or Cella over this one strictly on the scent side.

Master Bay rum had a thumb up from SWMBO. She rarely likes the bay rums that I have but this one was a "Wow!". So, that's good new.

I found that the 3P was lighter in scent but as you used it regularly it would become stronger but not by much. I would say a pleasant level for those with scent sensitivities. When I first got it all I could smell was the soap but it eventually opened up.

Any more shaves to report from the box while you are waiting for the other box to end it's journey?
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not seeing any updates on the travelling boxes.

Luc

Staff member
Any more shaves to report from the box while you are waiting for the other box to end it's journey?
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not seeing any updates on the travelling boxes.

Sorry, I thought that was in the other thread. The box is currently stored so no, nothing else for now.

However, seeing how the Gada thread is tracking attention, I will possibly stop by Adonis close to my place to get a few tubes (not only Gada) of middle Eastern shaving cream to add to the box.

I have yet to hone the straight razor and re-label what I mentioned up here. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Top Bottom